Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 Maxima Rattle / Rattling 1500 to 2000 RPM Forums > > 2003 Maxima Rattle / Rattling 1500 to 2000 RPM 2003 Maxima Rattle / Rattling 1500 to 2000 RPM
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 05-20-2011, 10:52 AM
michael modica

Hi, I have owned my maxima for 2 years now, bought it from a friend who has had this pinging problem for a while,(bought it with 120k on it). The noise is definate a timing ping or knock, it occurs at around the same rpm at moderate acceleration goes away with letting up on the gas or greatly increaseing the gas, which causes the onboard computer to change the timing and the air/fuel ratio. So at a lean mixture and the timing being set by the computer to maximize economy/pollution and not picking up the 'knock' from the engine, it will knock like crazy till something changes, like backing off the gas, the car accelerates to the desired speed, etc. If you continue driving with the engine knocking and not speeding up or slowing down you will do DAMAGE to the engine. It is for sure that there is a problem with the "knock sensor" sending a signal to the computer for a timing change, and why Nissan has not addressed this with a recall must be purely economical because of the cost of changing the sensor.
But this is my personal opinion and I would like feed back, especially from Nissan.
Thanks
Old 05-20-2011, 08:48 PM
2002 Maxima

Just some ideas, my 2002 required a recall for a MAF and reprogram a few years ago. Check to see if yours required it and if it was done cause if it's skewed it will cause lean problems. Also have you had the timimg checked for accuracy.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:30 PM
tech1978

Default engine noise 1500-2200 rpm

as many others have claimed i too have experienced this noise coming from my 2003 maxima se. from what i have found this noise is more prevalent when oil level for engine is low. once oil level has been topped off pinging/rattling noise during minor acceleration between 1500-2200 rpm goes away. the reason for the oil level had to be oil consumption so i took a oil sample and sent it in to a lab called "blackstone". they ran the oil sample test and gave me a detailed report of what was contained in the oil that was drained. as far as they can tell due to age and mileage on the motor it has normal wear and tear and the oil consumption i was experiencing was within normal range. for my own experience as an automotive technician for over 10 years it seems like the motor oil viscosity has gotten thinner especially within the last 5-7 years. even with motor 10w-40 weight, the oil seems thinner or more liquidity as compared to oil that was produced 10-15 years ago. thinner oil would mean higher burn off or vaporizing through the pcv system and burned away during the combustion process.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Nonsequitur

Default 2003 Maxima Rattle / Rattling 1500 to 2000 RPM

Check out this TSB. From other online forums, the issue probably isn't affecting performance and doing the repair is up to you.

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB95-022.pdf
Old 02-26-2012, 01:57 PM
2004 Sentra

Default 2004 Sentra giving simillar problem described by the parent thread

Hi All,

I can understand that this problem was happend for Maxima, but the exact problem did appear for me from last 2 months for my Nissan Sentra 2004 model. Interesting fact is the sound only came up after engine runs for around 1 mile, that meas the culprit is the one which needs to be heated a bit to produce that sound. This is happening when I am driving around 1500-2000 rpm. Never heard this after 40 MPH or below 25 MPH. When I checked the same with my regular mechanic, he told me it is coming from the engine. He said it may be due to n number of reasons. While browsing the net I came across this link. I did not give my vehicle for further investigation. Last week "Service Engine Soon" light came up. I am guessing something is linked between the sound and the "Service Engine Soon" light. Any suggestion will help.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:22 PM
2003 Maxima

Smile Rattle Noise

Hello, 3.0, I just wanted to know if you have figured out where the rattle noise is coming from?? If you can please get bac
k to me ASAP I would appreciate it.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:24 AM
2004 Sentra

Default Rattle sound

Hi,

Yes.. I had that rattle sound around 1500 rpm to 2000 rpm, on my first check up they said the sound is coming from engine may need to remove the engine plate which is really scary to hear. But next time when I requested to check with their best mechanic. By that time my check engine light started glowing and I thought something is related. After insection they pointed something(???) was wrong in the oil system. My engine oil was not replaced for 6 months and was sticky. Do not know excatly what they have done, they charged 1 hr labour and change oil. After that I do not have that problem till now.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:42 PM
2003 Maxima
2002 Maxima

Hey guys....

I've had this same problem until I took my entire exhaust system off my car found out it was a broken bracket which is common and it rattles against the heatshield this was my solution though also check your motor mounts

Have a great day
Old 05-21-2016, 04:05 PM
2004 Altima Sedan

Default Rattle/Pinging sound at 1700-2000 rpm

Hey guys,
So i know this is an old post, but i am a new owner to my 04 altima 3.5 with the 4AT, and i choose to post it right here cuz maxima and altima have the same vq35de. So after i have read you guys's posts i can say that it fits every single one of my situations, from the 1700 -2000 rpm, to low speeds at 20-40 mph, and not making any sound when in neutral coasting/stationary, nor in park. I have read thru all of this thread from beginning to end, but i can't find video description of this problem. Here's a video link of my car doing the exact situations of 45 mph and at 1900 rpm. And please if you can provide me with confirmation of the same noise and possible solutions. Thanks Awfully.
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TxK4MiZW84

Last edited by Ocean Zhu; 05-21-2016 at 04:36 PM.

Tags
1500, 2000, 2003, maxima, rattle, rattling, rpm