Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 Maxima Rattle / Rattling 1500 to 2000 RPM Forums > > 2003 Maxima Rattle / Rattling 1500 to 2000 RPM 2003 Maxima Rattle / Rattling 1500 to 2000 RPM
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 09-25-2008, 01:13 PM
SlvrMax115

Default A possible solution? Colder Spark plugs.

While researching...Found a possible soultion at maxima.org

Knocking and Pinging - Maxima Forums
Old 10-24-2008, 09:10 PM
ersh

has anyone found a solution to this? i took my car to a nissan mechanic and he wants to change timing chain and etc. Lets just say I'm not willing to go towards the expensive route.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:26 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Since i cannot hear the engine running i would suspect one of the VTC's is making the noise. There are a couple of NTB's on this matter that you can find contained in this web site. If infact it is a VTC or related componate, it's very exspensive to repair.The VTC alone is around 600.00 each + labor.The upside is it does no harm to the engine other than be an annoyance. Look thru the TBS file and make your call as to the correct course you must take.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Tlg675

I have a 2002 Maxima SE 6-speed and I have just started running into that same problem. I was about to post but then I saw yours. Mine does it above 1st gear and is between 1600-2000 rpm. It is almost like a scratching noise and it is really bugging the crap out of me. I normally put premo in the car and only in the last tank did i put reg. I will run it down and put premo in to see if it still does it, but it has done it before. WHAT IS THE NOISE FROM? Scratching noise between 1600-2000rpm. It isnt pinging either.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:22 PM
3.0bnm

Hey anybody out there with any updates to this problem as i know we are all still awaiting with great anticipation for tabachoy to post his findings, as he may have a possible solution.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:08 PM
ersh

I would like to know too. I tired colder plugs, different gas, different oil but nothing solved it. But I did notice that whenever I did an oil change the noise would ease up, but after a while the noise would appear again. So I'm anxious to know what tabachoy did to solve the problem.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:32 PM
ersh

So I went to the mechanic today so he can check it out for me. He had me in the car while it was up on the lift. I reved the engine for him as he was under the car as well as other mechanics. According to them the noise is coming from my headers and y pipe. I had changed my oil this morning to 10w30, but still got the noise. And I noticed I only drained two qts of oil :/
Old 11-13-2008, 04:57 PM
3.0bnm

Has anybody out there ever heard of terra-clean and if so has anybody tried it, or am i just wasting time and more importantly money. I would also bet if this terra-clean was done on my Max that the ecu would probably screw up. Could anybody out there enlighten me about this.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:43 PM
3.0bnm

Has anybody had any success? Anybody trying anything?
Old 01-31-2009, 07:54 PM
PCD122

I have a 2002 Maxima SE Auto. I run Chevron Premium gas and have had the 'carbon clean treatment done. I have what is pining in the engine when it is warm outside, the engine is underload and at low RPM's. It drives me crazy also. It is definitely pining in my car and the dealer improved it a little by replacing two of the plug coils. Even though I have an extended warranty they would not replace all of the coils. They would be happy to replace all of them if I paid for it (~$190 each). When I took it back last time they said they couldn't duplicate the problem. I am waiting for the weather to warm back up again so I can take them with me for a test drive to duplicate the problem. If you've seen what pinging does to an engine (I've seen holes and craters in the piston over time) you would cringe like me every time you hear pining.

I hope this helps. I'll re-post when I get the problem solved, even if I have to do the coils myself.

Adrian
Old 02-01-2009, 06:58 PM
3.0bnm

Hey adrian thanks for your input. What kind of "carbon clean treatment" did you perform. Was it Terra Clean? Also could you better describe exactly what kind of sound your car is making and when it happens.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Enthusiast
2003 Murano

3.0bnm

I think we have the same issue. I tried troubleshooting, but didn't replace any parts yet. I'm concidering changing to cooler plugs, cleaning my MAF and possible new coil packs.

See my thread...
Clunking rattle from valve cover
Old 02-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

I would check all the heat shields on the exhaust(engine hot/cold).But i does sound like carbon deposit build-up to me.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:27 PM
borriss

Let me post some short summary based on bazillions threads read on Maxs' forums. The guys claim they got rid of pinging by following procedures (one from each poster):

Changing spark plugs to ACDelco iridium
New MAF
New O2 sensor (s)
Lucas oil additive (synthetic)
Decarbonizing with some Subaru stuff named like "Top (or Upper) engine cleaner" (the guy doesn't remember the exact name)
Phenolic spacers (could be just bad IM sealing restored, though)
Colder plugs (just eases the problem)

I myself noticed, the pinging completely gone after TB cleaning, before the idle relearn procedure is done (the idle usually jumps to 750-780 RPM). Fooling ECU somehow? After relearning it's immediately back

Last edited by borriss; 02-08-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:00 AM
richyrich

I know 2004s have a service bulletin about exhaust rattle / buzzing noise during acceleration. NTB05-021d

Tags
1500, 2000, 2003, maxima, rattle, rattling, rpm