Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Mechanic says engine blown on 02 ? Forums > > Mechanic says engine blown on 02 ? Mechanic says engine blown on 02 ?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 05-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Rbourne

Default Mechanic says engine blown on 02 ?

Red lined car when shifting down to 4th gear Car died on highway Towed to shop. Car started and was drivable around the lot.

Mechanic said hydraulic lifters were effected when red-lined. Mechanic changed oil saying that would bring back preassure to lifters.

Drove home could not get power beyond 2,500 RPM.

Brought back to Mechanic and pulled codes P0111 & P0112 for Intake Solenoids. Replaced both. Drove out the lot and car started blowing white smoke.

Limped back to Mechanic who then said Cat needed replacing. Bolted on new After-market Cat. Car drove better except continued blowing smoke and would stall sometimes in 1st gear.

Mechanic said smoke is from the new Cat and car needed to build pressure for the lifters. Felt car miss-firing while driving home.

Took off engine cover and saw oil all around valve cover under plenum. Noticed bolt was missing from the valve cover and gasket was pertruding. This was the probable cause for the intake solenoid codes.

Mechanic fixed valve cover and said car was running bad, claims to have drained oil and found metal shavings. Latest diagnosis is when car red lined the timing chain tensioner broke and the motor is blown.

Car is home, continues to blow white smoke and I get a P0340 CAM Sensor code.

Drained oil put magnet in pale to see if there is metal shaving and I see little evidence if any of metal in the oil.

HELP!

Bob
Old 05-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
the timing chain tensioner broke and the motor is blown.
If the tensioner is broken the engine will not run.

Firstly, do you hear any noise from the engine? If there is noise, then it is possible that the valves and/or pistons are damage.

If there is no noise you can start by performing a compression test, if the compression is low remove the cylinder head(s) and inspect the valves.

At this point you shouldn't worried about replacing any sensors or cat. If there is a mechanical problem with the engine, the ECM will give you all different kind of codes.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

man that sounds horrible how many miles u got on that engine. is that the first time u redlined, is this a new car(new car to you) or have u had it for a long time? i mean them vq can take some damage and not brake. is their any noises that u hear when its running. sounds like a blown head gasket or a crack in the block. white smoke usually mean that water/antifreeze is entering the cylinders so when the air/fuel mixture burns it makes steam, u might need to take it apart and take a look inside, .

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 05-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

the cylinder compression should be between 125-175 psi and all cylinders should be 10% difference if more than something is wrong, so not more than or less than 10% difference
Old 05-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Rbourne

Default Mechanic says engine is blown on 02 Max

I bought the car new and have taken good care of it over the years changing the oil every 3k miles. I drive 80/95 MPH when traffic permits but I don't race. I'm aware I red-lined only one other time. I was told the white smoke could have to do with a rich fuel/air mixture. I was also told maybe one of the solenoids was not installed correct. The car does not stay on now so I cannot do a compression test. The only noise I herd after the initial breakdown was what sounded like ticking valve. This was not present before the breakdown. I drained the oil and do not see any coolent in it.

Does it make sense to pull a plug to check its condition?

This is gonna be a tough one guys, so, all of your comments are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 05-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

yeh it doesnt hurt to see what the sparks look like it probably helpp or not. dang that insane. how many miles u got on the bad boy. its not running rich thats black smoke. hmm it probably needs to be taken apart and see what the damage is. that wierd i know plenty of maximas older and newer that have ran the heck out of the mototr and still running thats wierd. but u did say the chain tensioner broke did u fix that
Old 05-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Rbourne

It's got 136k miles.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

well are u gonna try to rebuilt the motor or buy another used motor
Old 05-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Rbourne

I cannot rebuild myself. It'll all depend on the cost. Whatever the case, if its a sever engine problem. I'll get it fixed and then sell it.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

well if you are not doing it you rself i suggest getting a used one and have you rmechanic test it before purchasing unless he gives u a good deal on rebuilt cause they can cost alot and depending what damage has been done once they open it up. good luck see whaat the mechanic says and post results good luck bro
Old 05-08-2008, 04:47 AM
Rbourne

Anyone out there that had a blown engine that can share their experience?
Old 05-14-2008, 12:17 PM
hendrix89

blown engine usually the rod will go thru the oil pan.....or the push rods going thru the valve covers.....it does not sound too bad...I would would think it needs to have head repair
Old 05-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

yeh u wont know for sure what wrong or what needs to be repaired until u open it up and inspect it
Old 05-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Be careful with the inspection, if the engine is not reparable the labor for inspection could be as much as to replaced the entire engine.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

yep u are right about that.

Tags
blown, engine, mechanic