Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
98 maxima odometer problems Forums > > 98 maxima odometer problems 98 maxima odometer problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 04-09-2008, 10:47 AM
nissan_mama

Default 98 maxima odometer problems

:( My odometer shows trip A and a different mileage on it as well as gas gauge is different . when the car warms up and I shut it off and back on several times through out the day, it then says its correct mileage and gas gauge is correct.What the heck is wrong with it????:(
Old 04-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

recalibrate it maybe

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 04-09-2008, 01:09 PM
nissan_mama

well I wish it was that easy. To me it seems like a electrical issue cause it does it off and on. The mileage is digital and it will change on me sometimes.Sometimes it says trip A and sometimes it says the current mileage and everything else works fine. When it has trip A on it or sometimes it wil show my mileage 999999 all my gauges are funky. the gas gauge is at full, and my temp gauge is all the way to H. I dont know what else to do but to take it in the dealership which I know will cost an arm and a leg and I cant afford it.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

well if you are kind of good with your hands why dont you just go to a junkyard and find one that works and then just replace them i mean the milage would be different or try ebay car-parts.com is good too
Old 04-09-2008, 04:53 PM
nissan_mama

aight I will do that .Thanks
Old 04-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

you might have to right down the milage you have on your car and the milage it starts on the new odometer and just count from their .
Old 05-06-2020, 03:05 PM
1998 Maxima

Speedo is the control unit for everything else in the cluster. The soldering on the circuit board is dodgy and cracks. It's fixed by getting an electronics circuit board technician to resolder..espec. around the larger IC chip. The old solder needs to be removed. So an experienced/skilled/equipped circuit board repairer is required. Does not need to be auto.

The speedo can be tested by applying GROUND ..and 12v to the BATT (simulates ignition off) then 12V jumper to the IGNITION to simulate key on.

(refer corresponding screw holes on speedo unit from cluster housing markings).

Do NOT remove the needle and disassemble the speedo unit. The soldering is completely accessible..just remove from the cluster.

Symptoms:

999999 on odometer (most common)
Sometimes other random odometer readings.
Fuel level to MAX
temp gauge to max
tacho not working or flutters barely to 1000 rpm.
speedo flutters barely to 20 kph

This afflicts many Nissan models over several years that share the same speedo control unit.

There is no impact on car performance, and the car will start/drive normally.

Repair will usually see the correct stored ODOMETER reading revert and no further programming required.

Purchasing another speedo/cluster from wreckers is no guarantee that the issue will not recur (as there is a manuf defect with the soldering).

Last edited by alx0101; 05-06-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Tags
maxima, odometer, problems