Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Nissan Maxima 1999  Malfunction Indicator Light Forums > > Nissan Maxima 1999  Malfunction Indicator Light Nissan Maxima 1999 Malfunction Indicator Light
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 05-30-2006, 10:55 AM
caff_2001

Default Nissan Maxima 1999 Malfunction Indicator Light

:) I have a Nissan Maxima 1999 SE, with 63k miles. Recently the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) is On, indicating that there is problem with emssion control system. Does any body know how to correct this?
Please let me know.

C.
:?:
Old 05-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Hello

The first step is to get the code store in the ECM (Engine Control Module). Most independent shops can do that for you or some auto part provide that service for free. Once you have the code we'll be glad to guide you through the repair of your vehicle.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:16 PM
caff_2001

Default Nissan Maxima 1999

Thank you!.for you help. I took the car to 2 places, one wanted to charge me just to check, the other tried, but could not get a reading, he said, access to the ECM was locked, nothing they could do, to have it checked with a Nissan dealer. Well I had no choice and end up at the Nissan dealer.
This is the reading of the EGR system, [P0400], fuel sys-b1, mode4.
They said, it needs and EGR Solenoid and also to clean passages. Of course, they are asking for an arm and a leg for this...
Any suggestion will help me alot!
Thank you

-C
Old 05-04-2007, 06:58 AM
dhamijap

Smile 1999 Nissan Maxima P0400

Do not go to the dealer. Goto to the Autozone have then check your code. After that to fix this just open what ever it takes to get to the intake maniford. DO NOT REMOVE intake manifold but to the point where you can see it after you take the rubber peice off. You would see a small whole on the right side bottom corner and also look outside of intake manifold to verify that EGR valve is connected to that point. You will not not see the whole inside the manifold because of gum buildup. Just take carb cleaner and clean it out. you will have to remove the egr valce as well. keep patience and keep cleaning till you have cleared the passage. put it back together and you are done unless your EGR valve is bad.
It took me 2 hours +.

the idea is that the passage from the manifold to the EGR valve is closed due to build up of gum. Remove it and you saved your self $.
Paul
Old 05-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Read this post about cleaning the EGR valve:

Cleaning the EGR Valve
Old 12-19-2008, 05:26 PM

1999 Nissan Maxima

Just for FYI after I tried to find out which parts include in EGR system. The pictures provided by NissanTech's links are for year models earlier than 1999. Although 95-99 is 4th generation but 1999 EGR system has only EGR Valve and Temp sensor while 95-98 include EGR Control Solenoid. If you go to this link at courtesyparts.com

147 Egr Parts :: Engine Mechanical :: Genuine Nissan Parts :: Maxima (A32B) 1995-1999 :: CourtesyParts.com

or check courtesynissan.com parts you would find out the difference.

part # 14741 = EGR Control Solenoid (not in 1999 model)
part # 14710 = EGR Valve
part # 14730 = EGR temperature sensor
Old 02-14-2009, 11:13 AM
microb

Default Diagram or picture for this?

I have replaced my EGR and verified that the vacuum system is plumbed correctly - but I'm still getting an EGR code P0400 - I think this is the fix I need but I don't clearly understand your instructions.

Do i loosen the intake manifold or just remove everything around it pull off the EGR valve and clean out the holes?
A pic or diagram

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhamijap View Post
Do not go to the dealer. Goto to the Autozone have then check your code. After that to fix this just open what ever it takes to get to the intake maniford. DO NOT REMOVE intake manifold but to the point where you can see it after you take the rubber peice off. You would see a small whole on the right side bottom corner and also look outside of intake manifold to verify that EGR valve is connected to that point. You will not not see the whole inside the manifold because of gum buildup. Just take carb cleaner and clean it out. you will have to remove the egr valce as well. keep patience and keep cleaning till you have cleared the passage. put it back together and you are done unless your EGR valve is bad.
It took me 2 hours +.

the idea is that the passage from the manifold to the EGR valve is closed due to build up of gum. Remove it and you saved your self $.
Paul
Old 02-14-2009, 01:35 PM

1999 Nissan Maxima

I once intended to replace EGR Valve on my 99 Maxima then I saw a post by
dhamijap about how to clean up the EGR Guide Tube that connected to the right of the EGR Valve. After I cleaned it with carburator or gum cleaner, I have driven over 7000 miles without trouble code. I assume that it has been fixed. If this guide tube has carbon or gum built-up inside, your car is likely having higher RPM idle than 650 even after the engine running warm.

So, to clean up this small guide tube which it, I believe, receives the heat from the manifold to control the EGR valve. To do this, you have to take the EGR Valve out again. Do not ruin the gasket if you recently replaced it. You also need to unscrew or take out the EGR Temperature sensor. To locate all of these parts, go to a link at courtesynissan.com in my previous post for the sketch diagram. Although you cannot take the EGR Guide Tube completely out as it got stucked, you can unscrew the tube from the EGR Valve. Then spray into the tube with a gum or carburator cleaner (buy a cleaner with an attached tiny tube) until it is cleaned.

part # 14713 = EGR Guide Tube
part # 14710 = EGR Valve
part # 14730 = EGR temperature sensor

Last edited by hungtdao; 08-05-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Erg valve is $131.28 at courtesy parts.com.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:38 PM

1999 Nissan Maxima

In addition to my previous post, if you don't take out the EGR Guide Tube (part # 14713) to clean, then it will likely happen again as my case after one year. Spraying with a carburator cleaner is not engough. So, this time I did removed the guide tube. It was tough but I finally got it out by twisting the guide tube at the right movement, then at a same time pushing down the tube (part# 14120). I did not remove the EGR Valve (#14710) this time.
I bought two gaskets (#14120G, #14120GA).
Some other parts need to be removed before the guide tube can be accessed and removed easily such as 1) EGR sensor, 2) Air filter housing and MAF box, 3) some coolant tubes, 4) one end of EGR tube that connects to the EGR Valve. Make sure to keep all bolts and nuts in order. After I successfully got the guide tube out, I used cloth hanging line then clean inside the tube with a spraying carburator cleaner. I found a lot of carbon built in-side the tube. So, clean with the tube taken out is a whole better and a must. Also spraying on areas that connect to the tube ends before you put it back. Now my car is running again without Service Engine Soon light on.

Tags
1999, indicator, light, malfunction, maxima, nissan