Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
97 Maxima Cold start up + belt problem Forums > > 97 Maxima Cold start up + belt problem 97 Maxima Cold start up + belt problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 01-12-2008, 02:39 PM
VanBinsbergen

Default 97 Maxima Cold start up + belt problem

hey all, this is probably a simple question but i'm in depserate need of some help here. my car won't start when we have cold nights, it being new orleans here that isn't too often but if it's cold it won't start ( below 35/40-ish ) when the sun comes out full force later in the day it'll start ( rough + white smoke ). any ideas? not battery or alternator, had them checked.

second - had both belts replaced in what i'm asuming is a unrelated belt failure, the power steering belt has a lot of slack in it. did they mess something up? i'm thinking this should be pretty tight,. just like the drive belt. is there a way i can tighten this myself? would really appreciate some help with this one. thanks a bunch!

vB
Old 01-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Cold start problems are difficult to diagnose. There are some test you need to while the problem is occurring. The most common problem is fuel delivery, the engine is hard to start when there is not enough fuel pressure. When was the last time you service your maxima? You should start by replacing the fuel, air and oil filter.

Quote:
is there a way i can tighten this myself?
Yes, but to properly adjust the belt, you need to loose the P/S pump bolt which can only be access from underneath the engine.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:49 PM

1997 Maxima GLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Cold start problems are difficult to diagnose. There are some test you need to while the problem is occurring. The most common problem is fuel delivery, the engine is hard to start when there is not enough fuel pressure. When was the last time you service your maxima? You should start by replacing the fuel, air and oil filter.

Yes, but to properly adjust the belt, you need to loose the P/S pump bolt which can only be access from underneath the engine.
++++++1 very good info
Old 05-24-2011, 08:44 PM
keshan

my power steering pump on my infiniti i30/maxima will not drop i followed the diagrams and it still will not drop any ideas? in desperate need of help

Tags
belt, cold, maxima, problem, start