Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
1999 Maxima brake and battery lights on, but battery @ 14.05 volts? Forums > > 1999 Maxima brake and battery lights on, but battery @ 14.05 volts? 1999 Maxima brake and battery lights on, but battery @ 14.05 volts?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 08-29-2021, 02:54 PM
1999 Maxima

Default 1999 Maxima brake and battery lights on, but battery @ 14.05 volts?

Hi all,
I have a 1999 Maxima with 170k miles that my newly licensed daughter drives. A couple weeks ago she drove it through a deep puddle on an onramp at near highway speed that caused the car to "sound strange" which when I got to her parked at the next exit sounded (to me) not so alarming just perhaps the irregular squeal of belts slipping with maybe an old bad bearing sound thrown in. It drove a mile home just fine.

So a few weeks have past and I've finally time to tackle it. The squeal has gone away, but the battery and brake lights have stayed on. I'm finding the Haynes manual not very helpful with diagnosis but my Internet searches lead me to believe that the two lights almost alway indicate a bad alternator but when I check the battery voltage I get 12.25 off and 13.97 volts while running. The car has relatively new 6 month old Costco Interstate battery.

I recently replace my Honda Odyssey alternator, that turned out to be relative straight forward compared to what looks like I have to do with the Maxima. With the alternator getting me up to 14'ish volts, should I look at something else before I start the deep dive of trying to remove the alternator? When the belts were slipping I figured: "...sure, who the hell knows what happening with the brakes/ & electrical with slipping belts"

...but now that we're all dried out and not slipping, I can't off hand picture how puddle splash (albeit at 50 mph) could do in the alternator, nor why 14 volts doesn't mean the alternator is ok.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:17 AM
Enthusiast
1995 Maxima

Check for blown fuse. Used to have a villager (i believe it's by nissan), the mechanic just replaced a (or some) fuse/s. While engine running, turn on several electrical load, reading should be 14v or higher, also have it checked in autozone or somewhere (auto parts store) for free.

Tags
battery, brake, lights, maxima, volts