Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
hard starting Forums > > hard starting hard starting
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 06-11-2019, 06:03 AM
2000 Maxima

Default hard starting

Hey everyone, new to Nissan and the site, I would appreciate any advice on a problem the recently started. I bought a 2000 Maxima about a year and a half ago. Ran like a champ up until a month or so ago. It won't start in the mornings without cranking for 5-10 seconds, then it runs very rough for a couple more seconds. I replaced the fuel pump (twice just to make sure I didn't get a faulty one), replace spark plugs, IAC, & battery (it was 5 years old). If I crank it for a couple seconds, turn the key off and crank again it fires right up and runs fine. Anybody out there heard of this?
Old 06-12-2019, 07:57 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I can't say it's the same as "your" problem, but back in the early 2000's I had a 2000 Maxima that would almost refuse to start anytime the temperature dropped to around 32 degrees F. or below. It cranked and cranked and cranked, but wouldn't fire up. Once it started, it ran perfectly. Any time when it was first started in the morning and the temps were above freezing, it would start and run perfectly. Once it started, I could not duplicate it until the next morning and, again, it had to be freezing or below. After a month of working on and off the vehicle and working with Nissan's technical hotline, we found out the problem was a leaking intake plenum gasket. When it got cold enough, the rubber gasket would shrink and create an unmetered air leak, causing the engine to be too lean to start in the cold. Nissan actually had updated the gasket and made it thicker, superceding the part number, as well, and never released any info to anyone about it, according to the hotline tech. After the gasket was replaced, it started fine all the time. The Nissan hotline tech made the assumption that once the vehicle was started, the plenum gasket expanded due to the engine heat and created a proper seal.
Now, at this time a year, i doubt you are dealing with freezing temps unless you live at the north or south pole or on top of a very high mountain! However, keep in mind the Maxima I had was only a year or two old when I worked on it and yours is 19 years old. Perhaps the gasket is a bit deteriorated after all of this years and not sealing 100% until it's heated up? It's just something to think about and consider replacing when you've tried everything else. Otherwise, you'll likely need a scan tool that can do live data streaming to observe what's going on. I would also install a fuel pressure gauge to monitor the fuel pressure when the problem occurs and a timing light to see if it's sparking (my timing light will clamp around one of the coil pack harnesses and flash when it fires a spark). The fact that it only does it on morning start-ups can make it really difficult to diagnose, as you already know.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:36 AM
2000 Maxima

Thanks for the advice, I hadn't considered the intake gasket. I'm kind of leaning towards a fuel related issue, I'm thinking that the check isn't holding 100%. Is the check located in the fuel pump it self or is it external? I live in South central Kansas so I'm not experiencing freezing conditions now, the can has 139000 miles on it.

Last edited by Gary.R; 06-13-2019 at 07:40 AM. Reason: more information
Old 06-13-2019, 09:02 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The "check" would be the fuel pressure regulator, Nissan P/N 22670-2Y90B. It bolts to the end of the fuel injection rail and will have a vacuum hose and fuel injection hose connected to it. A fuel pressure drop test would confirm if it's working or not.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:32 AM
2000 Maxima

I have a fuel pressure check gauge on the way, I will give that a shot. Thanks again!

Tags
hard, starting