Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Maxima Issues Oil Use and Clutch Forums > > 2005 Maxima Issues Oil Use and Clutch 2005 Maxima Issues Oil Use and Clutch
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 10-30-2018, 04:26 AM
2005 Maxima

Default 2005 Maxima Issues Oil Use and Clutch

I recently purchased a 2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE. It has the 6 speed manual transmission. I am using 10W30 Royal Purple full synthetic oil. I have some questions:

1. After 1,000 miles on the oil change I have had to add .5 qt. of oil. Is this engine known for using oil? I know that some of these high performance engines do. Is there a common cause?

2. The clutch "shudders" when shifting into 4th, 5th, 6th with mild acceleration. Is this an indication of a worn clutch? I have no maintenance records, and it is possible this is the original clutch (?). I have seen it mentioned that the transmission must be removed in order to replace the clutch, and that at a shop the cost is around $1000. Is this true?

I do like this car, it is black on black. with the 18" wheels. Very powerful, comfortable, great styling. My only other experience with Nissan was a 1985 300ZX, which was an outstanding car.

Thank you,
Lou
Austin, Texas
Old 10-31-2018, 12:09 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

There have been a number of VQ35DE engines that have had oil burning issues. It would be best to start by confirming there are no external leaks and make sure the PCV system is working properly. Sometimes, however, the oil control rings will stick in the piston landings and cause an oil burning engine. The fix for that scenario would be to teardown the engine, hone the cylinders and replaced the rings (or, replace the engine). 1-1/2 quarts every 3000 miles isn't the worst case scenario, but if it is burning the oil, it will contaminate the upstream catalytic converter, eventually clogging it. I wouldn't call the VQ35DE a "high performance" engine. It's a good engine for the most part, but "high performance" is a bit of a stretch!

The shudder sounds like it could be a bad clutch or dual-mass flywheel. Like most transmissions, the trans does have to be removed to install it. On this model, the engine and trans are lowered with the subframe assembly out the bottom of the vehicle and then the trans is removed to replace the clutch. I can't give you a cost estimate, but there is a site that provides estimates:

Free Car Repair Estimate - Get Auto Repair Costs | RepairPal

It would be best to confirm any engine issues before getting involved in a clutch replacement, since they have to be removed from the engine compartment, anyway. It sounds like you didn't have the car checked out thoroughly before you purchased it, unfortunately. You could be in for a lot more expenses that just the $1000. Good luck with it!

Tags
clutch, issues, maxima, oil