Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2000 Maxima cold idle issue Forums > > 2000 Maxima cold idle issue 2000 Maxima cold idle issue
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 03-08-2018, 10:07 PM
2000 Maxima

Default 2000 Maxima cold idle issue

when you start it cold, it idles just fine for exactly 30 seconds, then either stalls or starts running rough, then dies. It kind of surges a little during this cold idle thing
Old 03-09-2018, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Try cleaning the throttle body and performing the Idle Air Volume Learning Procedure.

Instructions here: https://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/maxim...e_learning.php
Old 03-09-2018, 09:25 AM
2000 Maxima

After the car warms up it idles fine. It’s almost seems electronic because of the 30 second interval of idling fine followed by 30 interval of rough idle.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

A long time ago I had a 2000 Maxima that would crank and be hard to start anytime the temperature got to 32 degrees F. or lower. Once started, it had no problems and would start right up every subsequent time afterwards until it experienced a long sit in freezing weather again. I worked with Nissan's tech hotline on the issue for about a month; part of the problem is you had to have consistent days of freezing weather to duplicate the incident. Eventually, we figured it out. Nissan updated the upper intake plenum gasket and superceded the part number but never really told anybody about it. The updated gasket was slightly thicker than the original gasket. So, during freezing weather, the rubber gasket would shrink and create an unmetered air leak, causing a lean mixture which resulted in the no start condition. Once the engine started, it only took a few seconds to warm the gasket enough to seal the leaks and keep the engine from stalling. So, basically what I'm telling you is: if you don't find a cause for the issue, such as a bad IACV-AAC valve or fuel pressure issue, etc., AND, as far as you know, the plenum gasket is original, try replacing the plenum gasket with a new one to see if that helps. I can't say for sure that it is your problem, but might be something to put in the back of your hear as a last ditch effort!
Old 03-09-2018, 02:54 PM
2000 Maxima

Thank you. The cars runs exceptionally well. Except the cold idle issue. In fact on warm days it doesn’t act up nearly as much. I assumed that it’s a gasket leak my self and when it warms up it self seals. I know vacuum leaks can cause issue. Thank you for you info. I will try and get those that you mentioned, looked at.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:14 PM
2000 Maxima

So I removed the intake air temperature sensor and cleaned it with 91%alcohol put it back in. So far the car has not had the same problem. I will post in a few days to see if things have changed.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:46 AM
2000 Maxima

So the car still has the same issue. It has to be a vacuum leak of some kind. My next idea is taking it to the dealer and leaving it overnight but putting in a set price with the dealer before hand. So I don’t get way overcharged.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:42 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

You might consider replacing the intake plenum gasket if you can't find any other possible sources for a vacuum leak.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:13 AM
2000 Maxima

I found the issue. As simple and straight forward as the car stalling when cold and only when shifted into reverse or drive did it stall. Smooth idle for 30 seconds and then rough idle for 30 seconds and stall on the rough interval. Only when the car is cold and mostly when the weather is cold. I had the MAS (mass airflow sensor) cleaned and the problem is SOLVED!!!

Last edited by Chuckstone11; 06-13-2019 at 05:17 AM.

Tags
cold, idle, issue, maxima