Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
airbag light flashing Forums > > airbag light flashing airbag light flashing
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 09-26-2017, 07:39 PM
1998 Maxima
2013 Rogue 1998 maxima gle

Default airbag light flashing

my 1998 maxima gle airbag light flashing.i bought used module in center console but still flashing any advice on which scanner to buy
Old 09-28-2017, 12:55 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

If the module came out from a car that was in a collision, a scan tool isn't going to help. There is a company that can reset or repair them at Seat Belt Repair & Airbag Reset - Safety Restore. Sometimes, this air bag control units go into present diagnostic mode, causing the air bag light to flash a steady pattern (a pattern of mixed long and short flashes is indicating a trouble code). If that is the case, you can often reset them using the driver's door switch. Try this:

Open the driver’s door. Note the rubber covered button located low on the B pillar, a button which is pressed by the door when the door is closed. This is the Driver’s Door Switch (DDS).
Turn the ignition from OFF to ON. Press the DDS at least 5 times within 7 seconds after turning the ignition switch ON. Turn the ignition OFF. Close the driver’s door. Start the engine.
If the airbag warning lamp is still on (or still flashing), there is a fault in the Supplemental Restraint System which must be diagnosed and repaired.

For later models, there is this procedure:

1. Turn ignition switch “ON”.
  2. After “AIR BAG” warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, and starts flashing, turn ignition switch “OFF” within 1 second. ...
  3. Wait more than 3 seconds.
  4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 two times. ...
  5. Turn ignition switch “ON”.

Last edited by smj999smj; 09-28-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:26 PM
1998 Maxima
2013 Rogue 1998 maxima gle

Default airbag light

hi thanks for responding so fast.my car is flashing but not giving code flashes,so im assuming its in diagnostic mode.i tries with my module with pushing dds switch didnt work.so i sent it away to safety company to fix,but they couldnt reset it.so i i bought used one.light still flashing even after using dds switch trick.so my question is if i buy code reader cant it tell me where problem is like seat sensors or steering wheel or dash bags.if i go to dealer its gonna be tons of money.whats you opinion. thanks
Old 09-29-2017, 04:31 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

As long as you can find a scan tool that is capable of reading Nissan SRS codes for your model year, it should. Nissan has a lot of problems with mid to late-90's ABS control units, so it's entirely possible that the used unit is faulty, as well.

Last edited by smj999smj; 09-29-2017 at 04:34 PM.

Tags
airbag, flashing, light