Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Camshaft Sensor replaced - now wont start Forums > > Camshaft Sensor replaced - now wont start Camshaft Sensor replaced - now wont start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 01-21-2016, 11:08 AM
2005 Maxima

Default Camshaft Sensor replaced - now wont start

2005 Nissan Maxima SL
P0011 P0012
Camshaft Sensor

Hi, I was having all of the issues that occur with a bad camshaft sensor. I had the auto parts store tell me why the "Service Engine Soon" light was on. Indeed, this was the problem. This was a very easy fix; one 10 millimeter bolt removed, slide the adapter out, unhook the prong. Then, reverse all and it should work.
HOWEVER
I did all this and put the sensor in. Now, everything is working the way it should. BUT when I screwed the new camshaft sensor in the car won't start. I unscrew the bolt and it starts right up. I do not understand this and I am no mechanic by any means. Can anyone please tell me why the car will not start once I screw this new part in yet will start with the new part in just not screwed????? This is a terrible dilemma. I can't drive the car for fear that this will just fall out while I am driving and this is the only vehicle I own.
Thank you for any and all help.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:21 PM
2005 Maxima

Anybody have any ideas? I desperately need my car to work and I don't have the money to bring it to a garage.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:29 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

You got a bad sensor; I've run into several bad cam position and crank position sensors for Nissans from aftermarket brands that were either bad right out of the box or lasted only a few days or a couple of weeks. I recommend sticking with genuine Nissan sensors.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:10 PM
2005 Maxima

This was fresh out of the box. But ok, thanks - I'll try that.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:20 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Grounding issue. I agree with "smj999smj". For this component I only use genuine Nissan part. Defects in workmanship. When you screw in the mounting bolt it also serves as ground. You should return it.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:42 AM
2005 Maxima

Ahh ok. So I returned the one I bought at autozone and got another one from them and have the same exact problem. Then, I tried yet another one from autozone and the same problem.
I went to advance auto parts and bought one from them. SAME problem.

When I put this new camshaft position sensor in and screw it in my car wont start. When I unscrew it my car starts.

When I put the old one back in - the car starts up fine but runs poorly.

A guy at advance said that he thinks that the new sensor is throwing off the old sensor so I either need to replace them both or try a genuine Nissan part. The problem is that it's an aftermarket that I removed in the first place.

Also, I'm doing this all myself because I can't afford to bring it to a mechanic so I learned how to change bank 2 on youtube.

Do I need to change bank one and two at the same time or just use a genuine Nissan part for bank 2.

I can't afford to do both banks with Nissan parts because the part is double the price.
Also, if I put the new Nissan part in - will it throw off the other sensor in bank 1???

Thanks for the help everyone...

My codes are P0011 P0012

It came up as bank 2 camshaft position sensor.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:02 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

1. Try swapping and see what happens.....meaning install the new sensor on Bank1. (2) shop online. first get the part #(nissan part #) and shop at amazon, rockauto.com, nissanpartszone.com, nissanpartswarehouse.com (3) also make sure contact surface is clean and free of oil or dirt.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:28 PM
2005 Maxima

Thank you for the help. So your saying to just buy one of the parts (bank 2) and see if that works?
It is a lot cheaper on amazon thank you so much. I never would have guessed. It's over $100 less.... thank you
Old 01-24-2016, 04:28 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Okay so I'm assuming you already return the after market cam sensor. In that case, just wait till you get the Nissan part.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:57 PM
2005 Maxima

Ok, I'm going to order a genuine Nissan part today. It's not the price I thought but I guess I need it.
My question is now,
Will I have to buy both sensors, Bank 1 and Bank 2, or will I only need to buy the Bank 2 sensor since it's the one that's coding?
Thanks
Old 01-24-2016, 09:09 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

P0011 and P0012 are not cam position sensor codes....they are codes for intake valve timing performance, banks 1 and 2. These links might be helpful, but I would suggest diagnosing the problem using the factory service manual "EC" chapter for your vehicle, although some of the testing would require a scan tool that has active testing for the valve timing actuators.

P0011:

P0011 NISSAN Intake Valve Timing Control Performance Bank 1 | AutoCodes

P0012:

P0012 NISSAN Intake Valve Timing Control Performance Bank 2 | AutoCodes

Since both banks are affected, I would check for an oil issue (low level or dirty) first, before replacing any parts.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:09 AM
2005 Maxima

OK. So, I had the oil changed. Same problem. That didn't work.
I ordered the genuine Nissan part and tried that. This time my car does start with the genuine part in it - but it is not fixed. When I got up to 60 miles per hour I had it floored and I wasn't getting any faster and then it started bucking. It wasn't doing that at lower speeds.
So, I put back in the old camshaft sensor and that didn't do the bucking at all. It just gets stuck in 5 gear and shifts terribly.

I went to get the car inspected today and it failed due to codes: P0011 and P0021

This problem is not fixing itself and I cannot afford to bring this to a mechanic. I just bought this used Maxima 2 weeks ago and had to borrow money to buy it and register it plus insure it. Now, I'm screwed. I don't know what's going on with it. Can someone please tell me? Any ideas? What else can I try? It's not the oil nor camshaft sensor yet is throwing that code....

Thank you
Old 07-06-2019, 09:59 AM
2006 Altima Sedan
2006 Murano

Default Any Luck

I am having the same problem. I am not getting any codes at all. There is power to the cam sensor
Old 08-15-2019, 05:53 AM
2001 Titan Crew Cab
2015 Murano
1990 TieshaduhEL

Default Camshaft Sensor replaced now wont start

Try bleeding the air out of the fuel filter. Very easy to do. Just ask if you need help. Could also be a plugged up filter. When is the last time it was replaced?

;-)
Old 08-17-2019, 07:53 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Most late model Nissans don't have a serviceable fuel filter; it's part of the fuel pump module in the gas tank.

Tags
camshaft, replaced, sensor, start