Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2002 Maxima SE (automatic) does not start Forums > > 2002 Maxima SE (automatic) does not start 2002 Maxima SE (automatic) does not start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 04-02-2013, 01:52 PM
2002 Maxima

Default 2002 Maxima SE (automatic) does not start

Recently, my Maxima ceased to start. I first noticed the problem when I stopped off at a gas station. Upon returning to the car, it did not crank. I figured maybe it was because the car was not fully in park, so I put it in neutral and it started. No problem for the next few days. Then one morning, the car did not start at all. There was no clicking as if the problem was the starter. When I turn the key, all the instrument lights came on but that was it. The car does not crank at all. (The best way I can describe it's as if the car is still in the accessory mode and all you hear is a bunch of fuses, or whatever.)

I've since replaced the starter since I have just shy of 200k miles on it. I also replaced the starter relay inhibitor. It was also suggested that I replace the electronic component to the ignition switch, which I did. The car still does not start.) I'm stumped and thoroughly frustrated ! ! !

Any suggestions? Anyone else experienced this problem?

By the way, the battery is essentially new. It was replaced last November.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:53 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

1. is check engine light on? if so, scan ecm for trouble code.
2. when you're cranking do you notice the red security light turn off. if it stays on solid red then you have an anti-theft issue.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:57 PM
2002 Maxima

There's not anti-theft issue. The light does go off.
I've not had someone to check for trouble codes.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

You need to start by seeing if power is getting to the starter solenoid "signal" wire when you turn the key to "start." It's easiest to do this with two people: one to turn the key and the other to use a 12v test lamp at the wire to check for power. If you are getting power there, you probably likely have a bad starter, even if it is new. If you don't, then the circuit will need to be checked. Is this a manual or auto trans?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:52 AM
2002 Maxima

The car is automatic.

I've done some researching on other sites. Anyone has some input about some recalls for the 2002-2003 model year Maximas:

circuit board for the crank position sensor (also under recall) and variable timing control sensor--could those also contribute to the problem?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:29 AM
2002 Maxima

So I'm back to square A. I installed another starter and I'm experiencing the same no-start problem as I previously mentioned. I also stopped by a Nissan dealership concerning the crank sensor; it was replaced under the recall.

I'm really stumped. Looks like I'll have to tow it to someone's shop and have it hooked up to a machine to identify any message codes.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:33 AM
2002 Maxima

I'm back to square A. The recall issues were resolved on this car. I installed another starter but I'm still experiencing the same no start problem. Looks like I'll have to get it towed into a shop and have it hooked up to a machine. I'm stumped!
Old 04-03-2013, 12:30 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketqueens45 View Post
It was also suggested that I replace the electronic component to the ignition switch, which I did. The car still does not start.) I'm stumped and thoroughly frustrated ! ! !
1. I am not quite clear what you mean by electronic component of the ignition switch. It is a Switch and Lock Assy.
2. Your No Crank condition persist. Did you do what is suggested in #4 and that is measure voltage (12V) is delivered to the starter. A simple digital voltmeter. One prove to the pos. post of batt. and the other in starter terminal and with key on. If you get 12v, continue testing on same procedure but now crank the engine, you need help here. You should be getting 12v also, if not, voltage is lost along the way. Inspect your wire and connections, and batt. ground cable to the frame and engine. The 12v test lamp works also if that's what you have.

3. You seem to replace parts without really knowing if it is the faulty part. READ/SCAN computer for trouble codes.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:51 PM
2002 Maxima

Looks like all is well now.
It was brought to my attention there were two other options left in this scenario: park/neutral safety switch or the key itself.

I started with the park/neutral safety switch -- car was not starting in neither park or neutral. That turned out to be the correct guess (after replacing starter, starter inhibitor relay, and piece on the ignition.)
Old 03-19-2021, 07:19 PM
2002 Maxima

I'm having the same issue was it the key?

Tags
2002, automatic, maxima, start