Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2000 Maxima Manual Transmission Leak Forums > > 2000 Maxima Manual Transmission Leak 2000 Maxima Manual Transmission Leak
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 02-17-2013, 09:27 PM
2000 Maxima

Default 2000 Maxima Manual Transmission Leak

I've got a manual transmission leak on my 2000 Maxima SE. It appears the oil is coming out from under this black metal plate. What's under there and likely to be the cause of the leak? I couldn't figure it out from any exploded diagrams I could find. Thanks for the help, check out the pictures which describe it better than I could!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:18 AM
2000 Maxima

First - if you don't see the photos, give it a moment they are hosted by a remote server.

Second, I don't think it's transmission oil. I checked the oil level, it's good. I tried putting a little more in and it came out. Looking closer I think it's engine oil and that would explain why I could figure it out from the transmission diagram I looked at. Does anyone know what's under that plate? It is held on my two smallish bolts, and I don't want to take it off unless I'm confident I'm not creating a big problem for myself by doing so.

Also, out of curiosity, how long do clutches last on these Maximas (mostly city driving)? My wife drove it the other day and it smelled like burnt clutch when she got home. I think it may have just been that she never drives a manual anymore, but it got me thinking.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:04 PM
2000 Maxima

OP

Did you ever find out what the problem was. I recently purchased the same vehicle and it has the same problem. I will be taking it to a mechanic, but if is a simple fix I can just do it myself. Thanks
Old 09-23-2013, 08:57 PM
2000 Maxima

No, I took it to a shop and they basically said it is "leaking everywhere". They recommended starting at the top and working down so that leaks from above are not misdiognosed. I pulled the valve covers and did the gaskets myself, plus plugs, pcv valve, cleaned throttle body, etc. So now the valve covers don't leak anymore and the car runs substantially better, but I haven't been back to get diagnosis/quotes on the other leaks. It still drips a little motor oil, but it doesn't smell nearly as strongly as before.

I still don't know what is under that little plate.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:20 AM
2000 Maxima

Thanks for the info. I had someone look at it and they found a leak in the rear valve cover gasket. I will be doing pretty much the same thing you have done. Hopefully that stops it.

Tags
2000, leak, manual, maxima, transmission