Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Maxima Head Light Removal to change a bulb Forums > > Maxima Head Light Removal to change a bulb Maxima Head Light Removal to change a bulb
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 03-05-2009, 02:05 PM
04 massacre

Yup, just confirmed it. The 9006 bulb works like a charm, there is only a slight difference in the brightness of the bulb from the factory ones. If you purchase a 9006 bulb that burns at around 5000k or so then they will be pretty much the same but way less expensive than whats recommended
Old 03-06-2009, 05:11 PM
coolswitch

anyone have an idea how to remove the whole headlight assembly for a 87-89 maxima? I need to repaint the reflector.

thanks
Old 09-23-2009, 04:08 PM
wlk239

I had to replace both of my headlight assembly's on my 2004 Maxima thanks to a previous owners 'after market' wiring & bulb replacement so thanks for all of the info about removal of the headlight assembly. I have tried it both ways (taking the wheels off & taking the front fascia off) and I think taking off the front fascia is the easiest!
PROBLEM: After installing new headlight assembly's, the passenger side high beam light does not work, any suggesstions? I have checked all fuses and wiring and cannot find any obvious signs of problems. Also is there any way to adjust the beam direction/height on my new lights?
Thanks

Last edited by wlk239; 09-24-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:12 AM
robo_geek

Default on the 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
For the 2005 maxima you can remove a couple screws from the fender liner and gain access to the bulb by turning the steering wheel all the way depending on which side you are working on. Pull the fender liner back and you can get to the cap for the bulb. It is much easier this way.

The 1999 maxima is much easier. You can open the hood and gain access from the back of the headlight.
the shop manual says to take off the front bumper (fascia) but you can change the driver side by just taking part of air intake off, and the passenger side can be done (with some difficulty) by unsnapping and flxing the inner fender liner on that side, and reaching in from there.

Not unlike unhooking a bra by reaching in up under the rear of a blouse
Old 11-27-2009, 10:31 AM
kdog88

I've owned 10 auto's in my life time and always been able to replace a headlamps, but never in my life seen a messed up design like the one on the 2005 maxima. its ridiculous to have to pay that amount or go to that much trouble just to change a bulb!
Old 11-27-2009, 10:49 AM
robo_geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog88 View Post
I've owned 10 auto's in my life time and always been able to replace a headlamps, but never in my life seen a messed up design like the one on the 2005 maxima. its ridiculous to have to pay that amount or go to that much trouble just to change a bulb!
The funny thing is, on my 2007 it says to pull the bumper off, but I was able to change both sides without too much trouble. Just had to unbolt part of air intake on driver side, and had to pull-back part of inner-fender liner on pass side.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:55 AM
1997 Altima

Default 2004 Nissan Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 massacre View Post
I see how to replace the bulb, but is anybody else getting quotes for $130 for just the bulb itself? There has to be something less expensive
I called today. The bulb is $83 and the labor is $123! I am not going to pay $200 to have the bulb replaced. If I would have known this, I would have left the car on the lot!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:29 AM
robo_geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLANE74 View Post
I called today. The bulb is $83 and the labor is $123! I am not going to pay $200 to have the bulb replaced. If I would have known this, I would have left the car on the lot!
Like many newer cars, having a cool looking front end makes for a little more work when changing lamps.

If you have the standard lights, then any 9005 type bulb will do ($10 at any auto parts store). If you have HID, you need a D2S bulb, which costs typically around $80 or so.

On my 2007 I was able to change driver side bulb just by removing part of air intake (10 minute job). Passenger side was trickier, as I had to remove a couple of screws and reach in thru the inner fender liner. This took around 20 minutes. The main thing is to be gentle with the plastic parts of the lamps, as things break easily, and do not touch the glass of the bulb, or it will fail prematurely.

The shop manual says to remove the front fascia (bumper)...which is VERY easy to do. A couple of clips and bolts and it's off. From there, the headlamp housings can be removed with a couple of screws...then you just pop the new bulbs in.

My advice would be to replace both front lamps at the same time, since bulbs tend to burn out at roughly the same time and also tend to get dimmer over time. Also, if you have the standard lamps, consider upgrading the 9005 to something like the Narva rangepower +30...about 30% brighter and a whole lot whiter. I buy my Narva lamps at CANDLEPOWER.COM .
Old 12-22-2009, 01:52 PM
weavejo1

How do I know if I have the xenon or halogen headlight? and which is HID???

Last edited by weavejo1; 12-22-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:39 AM
robo_geek

Default Two ways to tell

The "Bi-Xenon" HID lamps are standard on the SL model, but the Maxima SE model gets the plain Halogen HIR lamps, unless you have the Driver-Preferred package or Elite Package.

The HIDs were part of the 'Driver Preferred Package' which includes leather seats, electric-tilt steering wheel, etc. You could 'omit' HIDS from the Driver-preferred package, but that would be rare, since most people seem to buy the option packages the dealers have in stock (I'm not sure why someone would want to omit a $150 option that's part of a $4500 option).

And finally, when you turn on your headlamps, do they come on the instant the switch comes on, or is there a slight delay...like when a fluorescent light comes on? (that's how HIDs work). Also HIDs are noticeable whiter/bluer.

2005 option packages:
2005 Nissan Maxima Options - Consumer Guide Automotive

BTW the 'Elite Package' includes the 'Driver Preferred Package'...the 'Elite' is the rear-bucket seat option.

Back in 2005 you could get manual tranny.....those were the days.

Last edited by robo_geek; 12-23-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 PM
ae86guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo_geek View Post
the shop manual says to take off the front bumper (fascia) but you can change the driver side by just taking part of air intake off, and the passenger side can be done (with some difficulty) by unsnapping and flxing the inner fender liner on that side, and reaching in from there.

Not unlike unhooking a bra by reaching in up under the rear of a blouse

First of all. Hello everyone. This is my first post. Now...

The claims that one can actually remove and change the bulb without removing the headlight ass'y seem impossible to duplicate. At least for the passenger side on a 2005 SE (as in my case).

I say this because there's a bracket in the way, just under the top part of the washer reservoir. You can get to the cap, and turn it until it comes loose, but the bracket keeps it from clearing the back of the (L-shaped) bulb. Stupid fender lining kept chewing on my wrist the whole time as well.

And now the blasted thing won't screw back on. So off I go now to drop the bumper.

In case anyone's still reading this thread, save yourself the frustration, and take off the bumper (fascia). After that, it's a breeze to get the assemblies out. See the pics at the top of this thread. Then change both bulbs (at the same time) with the proper Toshiba 9012 HIR bulb. It is 75% brighter than the 9006. You can buy it from Nissan, and judging from the price they are very proud of this particular item. It is my understanding that John Deere part number AH211917 is the same exact product, and they are only half as proud of their part.

I hope this helps. Makes me glad I'm a old skool Toyota guy.

Last edited by ae86guy; 02-03-2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: better information, of course.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Hulslander

Default 2006 maxima headlight

the service dept. told me that most all of the time they had to replace the controller on the xeon light which costs over 400 bucks. has anyone come across this problem?
Old 02-08-2010, 09:06 AM
ae86guy

That information wouldn't surprise me. If the "controller" they are referring to is the ballast, you might be better off buying a new HID kit off of eBay, although I am not sure how this would affect your ability to do high beams. Recently, I've seen kits for $60 (shipped) that include ballast and your choice of capsule (bulb) temperature (color). You already have headlamp assemblies with the proper projector lenses in them. I have an HID kit in my Corolla, and I've never needed to use the high beam lights.

Even the Nissan parts people are telling me that this is a dumba$$ design.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:41 AM
minotauro

I suggest sticking with oem, the ballast replacement is cheap if you buy it on ebay, just search for matsushita ballast it will be gray with ribs on it, they used them in infinitis nissans, you can typically buy one for 40-50. Aftermarket kits will fail prematurely, then you have to go through all the trouble of fixing them again. And bulbs are cheap if you buy them from a place like Hidplanet.com or even ebay, they are called d2s.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:06 PM
laursenm

``

Tags
bulb, change, head, light, maxima, removal