Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Maxima 97 running out of options.. Forums > > Maxima 97 running out of options.. Maxima 97 running out of options..
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 07-17-2012, 10:11 PM
1997 Maxima

Default Maxima 97 running out of options..

Ok so I have a nissan máxima 97 that i have issues with. It started by stalling when ,idle then It gradually began to turnoff. I have already done some things to it but I am yet to find the solution.

So, I though maybe it wasn't getting enough spark so I changed the plugs and the oil as well as the filters. Did not change anything. Then I changed the knock sensor, seemed to work but didn't. Next thing was changed was the resonator and it turned off the check engine light and again seemed to work but didn't. Then I thought, because of how it sounded and felt when I drove that it had to do something with the fuel so I changed the fuel filter, same thing, thought it had but didn't. So then we did the fuel injectors and still nothing. So then the light came back on and it pulled up two codes P0130 and P1320, so I guess that now I want to know if the camshaft sensor can fix it or any suggestions? By the way now it is struggling to turn on..
Old 07-18-2012, 12:19 AM
2002 Altima
2002 Altima

1. I recommend you replace the crankshaft position sensor. Also recommend to replace the 2 camshafts sensors. If they're new, then
2. P1320 - check and test your ignition coils. While at it, Do visual checks on the wires for damage. You may have to replace all six but Do spark test on each one first. Its your call to replace all or just the failed coil(s).
3. P0130 - O2 sensor Bank 1, Sensor 1. this should not cause a No Start condition. Get the car running then you can take care of this. hope this helps.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

I think I would also check fuel pressure at the filter. My 95 has done similar as has other vehicles I own and once I replaced the fuel pump, the issues went away. The fuel pump never 'died' but it was so erratic in that it wouldn't provide enough constant pressure for the injectors that they would get spotty fuel delivery causing it to run rough.

The 10% ethanol blend seems to cause issues with some of these older vehicles and of course age too.
2012 Altima (daughter - replaced 2002 with 8 miles, now with almost 30,000 miles)
Old 07-18-2012, 12:36 PM
1997 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCARLTON View Post
I think I would also check fuel pressure at the filter. My 95 has done similar as has other vehicles I own and once I replaced the fuel pump, the issues went away. The fuel pump never 'died' but it was so erratic in that it wouldn't provide enough constant pressure for the injectors that they would get spotty fuel delivery causing it to run rough.

The 10% ethanol blend seems to cause issues with some of these older vehicles and of course age too.
So how do I check the fuel pressure because that is how i feel like it is a spotty fuel supply.. ?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:17 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

You can 'rent' a fuel pressure tester at your local auto parts store however, my experience has been these tools are abused beyond belief. If you get one the works, you're lucky. I tried 3 different compression testers before I decided to buy my own.

Anyway, if you have a harbor freight close by (or you can order online too), look for a fuel injection pump tester, or follow this link: Fuel Pressure Tester & Fuel Injection Pump Tester

This is the only tool you will need to do this. Now, remove the pressure from your fuel system by removing the fuse to the fuel pump (under dash), while car is running, it will eventually stall. Then, remove the fuel line that comes out of the fuel filter and use the appropriate adapter from the kit above to insert the pressure gauge in line and re-attach to the fuel filter.

Put fuse back in and crank engine (it may take it a bit).

Fuel pressure should be at 36 to 43psi (based on the article below).Here is an e-how article:

How to Check for Fuel Delivery in a Nissan Maxima | eHow.com

Mine was often running 32psi or less; I replaced the fuel pump and all has been well.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:06 PM
1997 Maxima
1997 Maxima

Default 97 Maxima P1320 code

I've been fighting this p1320 code on my daughter's 97 maxima for the last 6 months. The car runs fine (no misfiring) and no other codes are thrown. I've replaced all six coils, the condenser and both crankshaft postion sensors, but the code always comes back. Finally I checked continuity on the signal wires from each coil to the ECU. Connect meter probes to each coil connector to the corresponding terminal at the ECU (backprobe at the ECU connector). Continuity was intermittent on the gray wire from cyl #4 when I firmly moved the ECCS harness near the passenger side strut tower. I referrred to this TSB for the correct repair procedure:

EC97-018b NTB98-008b September 16, 1999
1995-99 MAXIMA EGI HARNESS WIRE BREAKAGE
DIAGNOSIS AND REPAIR PROCEDURE
APPLIED VEHICLES:
1995-99 Maxima (A32)

This procedure is a big PITA but it's been a month now and the code hasn't returned so I guess it was worth it. The car just passed California smog test yesterday so I am calling this a success. Hope this helps anyone else fighting this code.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:18 PM
1998 Altima

Whoppapapa did you repair it yourself by splicing or did you replace the entire wiring harness as the service bulletin says? This seems to be a common problem.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:52 AM
1997 Maxima
1997 Maxima

"Whoppapapa did you repair it yourself by splicing or did you replace the entire wiring harness as the service bulletin says? This seems to be a common problem."

I repaired it by splicing in a short length of new wire.