Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
No start, turns over, no spark Forums > > No start, turns over, no spark No start, turns over, no spark
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 04-07-2012, 09:03 PM
1996 Maxima

Default No start, turns over, no spark

I recently purchased a '96 5-speed Maxima SE from a friend. I was told that the "clutch was bad". The slave cyl needed to be replaced (so I replaced it) and since they had already pretty much removed most everything necessary besides the bell housing, I replaced the disk, pressure plate, housing, and release bearing while I had access.

After putting it all back together, I have a no-start situation. The starter cranks. The engine turns. I have tested for spark at every coil and I get nothing. When the key is turned to the ON position, pin 1 (looking into the vehicle side of the harness with the clip at the top) of the harness that hooks to the coil shows 12V at all six harnesses. Pin 3 on all of the coil harnesses goes from about 20mV when the key is in the ON position to about 300mV when the engine is turning (i.e. key is in the START position). The battery has been tested and will charge 100% and obviously is powerful enough to keep the engine cranking. I have NOT checked fuel pressure because I thought that I should stop when I saw that I wasn't getting any spark. Any ideas?
Old 04-08-2012, 05:50 AM
2000 Maxima

I'm having the same Problem with my Maxima...every1 keeps telling me cam nd crank sensors are bad and have 2 be changed... It sounds like we having the same problem..
Old 04-08-2012, 11:04 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

It is possible a failed crankshaft sensor. First, consult your vehicle Symptoms Matrix Chart and troubleshoot items rated #1. You just have to work through it one item at a time. Also if check engine light is on, scan your ecm b4 starting any repair/replacement work. Hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:32 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1997 Maxima
1997 Maxima

+1 on the crank sensors - especially the one between the engine and tranny. That is what kept mine from starting, even though it ohmed out as OK. Shop had to put a scope on it to ID problem. However, there are also lots of grounding issues after clutch replacement with 4th gen Maxima's. You may have to take back apart and really clean the engine and transmission mating surfaces to ensure a good ground for the ignition system.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:20 PM
1996 Maxima

As per the instructions in the FSM, I monitored the voltage on pins 2 and 3 of the crankshaft position sensor (POS). I found that it was outputting only maximum of ~1V. Replaced it. Now it reads 5V as it should. Still no start. Still no spark. The only DTC 0304 is indicated by Diagnostic Test Mode II. This indicates something wrong with the Knock Sensor. This code was actually generated before I even posted in this forum. But I didn't think that this would be the cause of a no-start condition. Could it be?

Also, I checked out the CAMshaft position sensor (PHASE) as the FSM shows this as a High Possibility item for a no-start/hard-start/restart condition. It seems that no continuity exists between terminal 1 of the camshaft position sensor and terminals 46 and 47 of the ECM harness. I don't understand why a trouble code wouldn't have been thrown for this. This sucks.

Thank you for any ideas. And thank you everyone that has helped so far.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:04 AM
1996 Maxima

Default I have a 96 maxima that I am not getting no spark, what would cause it to do that?

I have a 96 maxima that I am not getting no spark, what would cause it to do that? I have replace the spark plugs fuel pump filter. I double checked everything I unplugged and made sure that everything was connected.
I drove the car and parked it for a day and it ran fine! What could cause it from not giving spark?

Thank you for all your help....
Old 07-11-2015, 06:47 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Bad cam or crank sensors, bad ECM, open or shorted circuit(s) in the wiring harness. Best thing to do is scan it for stored codes and download the "EC" section of the Nissan factory service manual for your vehicle and go through the diagnostics steps for your stored code(s) or for the symptom of no start/so spark.

Tags
spark, start, turns