Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2006 Maxima TCS, SLIP, ABS, no start, lights and fan come on, FIX Forums > > 2006 Maxima TCS, SLIP, ABS, no start, lights and fan come on, FIX 2006 Maxima TCS, SLIP, ABS, no start, lights and fan come on, FIX
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 01-03-2012, 08:36 AM
onercboater

Lightbulb 2006 Maxima TCS, SLIP, ABS, no start, lights and fan come on, FIX

OK... so 2 weeks ago... the alternator failed (it failed high as in high voltage caused cruise control issues and stereo issues til found and replaced not part of this issue just history) replaced it with autozone alternator which lasted 1 and 1/2 weeks... replaced with new autozone alternator 2 days ago (lifetime warrenty)
So last night I am coming home with jr in the car... as I turn into the driveway my dash board lights up like a christmas tree. ABS, TCS, SLIP lights come on... I was like WOW! I shut it down... will not restart cranks but no fire. Also headlights come on regardless of light switch position and cooling fans kick on regardless of temperature. There is also just the slightest hint of magic smoke (electronic burnt smell) that seems to be centered over the display and glove box area... strongest around the center right a/c vent.
my 1st thought
Then i check CAN/OBD2 codes i get U1000(CAN sytem communications issue) and P0462 (fuel level issue)
So I chase under the dash, remove glove box.... remove entire passanger side lower dash, remove driver side lower dash, remove center console portion of dash, remove radio display/service display... . I can't find it. I probably looked like a crack head as I was busy sniffing wires and connectors... and every box i came across down there.... the ECU smelled fine... looked good... all others looked good smelled fine
Made a call to the dealer (have a few friends that are service techs there) they say look for the A/C auto amp also known as climate control... I was a bit dubious but faithfully looked in dash center console area above the radio.
and
Then i notice an innocent looking box under the dash display... it is white... about 8"x4"x1" white ribbon going into it from climate control buttons... it has a hole or more correctly a slot on the top of it... about the size of a nickle edge on... looks like a piggy bank slot... and it has the faintest hint of burnt smell coming from it. So... I remove it as only two more screws hold it in place.... as i rock it out of its place it makes a funny jingling noise like it has money in it.... I was like then... nah couldn't be. I take it over to the work bench...it is still jingling.... unscrew the cover... pull out the PC board... out fall not one... but two pennies!!! I look at the chip on the PC board... and it has a hole blown in it... well there goes $200+ for new one... or in my case i going salvage yard likely $75-$125 shipped to me.

the case has the following numbers on it
27760 7Yo1A
UPR
5Z09

I write this hoping to help someone else out there who has a similar problem and to warn you guys out there *DO NOT PUT COINS ON DASH* as dumb as it sounds. Fortunately for me it was in front yard and fortunately i am a mobile mechanic and have friends who are mechs and techs. And fortunately Sonora NISSAN in Yuma AZ is a great and helpful dealership (mods you may remove the plug for sonora nissan if you feel need to... i figured they deserved a plug for pointing me in right direction for free)

Good luck and hope this story is helpful to someone out there.
Sean

Last edited by onercboater; 01-03-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: forgot to add trouble codes that showed
Old 01-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Enthusiast
2004 Maxima
2001 Maxima

I guess your voltage spike problem fried some circuitry. I would first check all of the electronics to see if there is a short anywhere.
Something wrong with the charging system. Check the voltage on the battery, how much is it putting out?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:43 AM
onercboater

well.... i just ordered new part for climate control as it is toast for sure, I was surprised to find out it could effect the CAN system so strongly. all others appear fine at this time... I am certain that part number 27760 7yo1a failed as the chip is blown up in center of PC board. I agree as this part change may or may not allow restart of vehicle... and should it restart after replacing it I will likely beat the 1st nissan engineer i come across with the part.. as there is no reason on earth that the climate control system should be able to affect the engine management system that's almost as stupid as the "when the idle control valve fails it fries the ECU" issue with these cars.
Part should be here in a few days... in meantime wife driving the Frontier or the Altima. When part gets in I will be able to continue the diagnostic sequence.
I am a pretty hard core Nissan fan but solidly surprised by some of the stupid things they do. I guess all makes and models have their own quirks.

as far as how much voltage it is putting out... lol it is sitting 12.6V right now... remember car won't start, can't check alternator output on non starting car. That said... when the alternator failed a few weeks ago... it failed high... almost 18V, I know when bro in laws altima had that issue it fried his cam sensors... I been watching and waiting for something to fail almost not surprised when this did.... that was until i found cause to be coins in the climate control module... what a stupid place to put an unscreened hole.

Sean

Last edited by onercboater; 01-03-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 01-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Enthusiast
2004 Maxima
2001 Maxima

The 6th gen maximas do not have an ICAV like 5 gens do...
Old 01-03-2012, 10:55 AM
onercboater

didnt know that... don't mean to sound snotty... still annoyed.. and though i found a fried part... that doesn't mean i found the root cause yet.

By the way car goes into limp mode when voltage goes high... no shifting (i was stuck in 4th or 5th.... radio goes off randomly and cruise control turns off... surprise lol. I really miss AMP and Volt meters on cars ... may just wind up putting extra gauges on this one for future use.
Sean
Old 01-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Enthusiast
2004 Maxima
2001 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by onercboater View Post
didnt know that... don't mean to sound snotty... still annoyed.. and though i found a fried part... that doesn't mean i found the root cause yet.

By the way car goes into limp mode when voltage goes high... no shifting (i was stuck in 4th or 5th.... radio goes off randomly and cruise control turns off... surprise lol. I really miss AMP and Volt meters on cars ... may just wind up putting extra gauges on this one for future use.
Sean
Sounds like you got some serious electrical problems, if your voltages spike to more than 14.7, you might have a bad alternator.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 PM
onercboater

did you by chance happen to read the original post on this thread? or are you adding to your post count? Until the part gets here i won't know for sure.. but what you are posting was already addressed in the initial post...

yes had a bad alternator... replaced it, then rereplaced it cause i was stupid and got one at autozone because they only one in area at the time 75miles from home that had one in stock. Next time I will walk before buying from autozone.

the root cause of the issue was coins shorting out a component attached to the CAN system. Did that cause additional damage or not...won't really know til part shows up and gets installed.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Enthusiast
2004 Maxima
2001 Maxima

Quote:
did you by chance happen to read the original post on this thread? or are you adding to your post count? Until the part gets here i won't know for sure.. but what you are posting was already addressed in the initial post...

yes had a bad alternator... replaced it, then rereplaced it cause i was stupid and got one at autozone because they only one in area at the time 75miles from home that had one in stock. Next time I will walk before buying from autozone.

the root cause of the issue was coins shorting out a component attached to the CAN system. Did that cause additional damage or not...won't really know til part shows up and gets installed.
I did not comprehend it all that well because i was tired and your little emote rampage is distracting. The next time il simply refrain from posting in this thread.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:04 AM
onercboater

I really dont know what to say, you can turn off the lil smilies pretty easily.
Also, if your too tired to actually read the 1st post, why on earth would you start posting answers to the problem you didn't even read.

Anyhow, follow up post to the 1st post... no smilies so that no one gets confused.

Yes the climate control can cause the CAN system to fail, which leads to confusing codes being thrown and the car not being able to start... yes replacement of the fried climate control module fixed the problem. Yes the voltages are correct...and yes there were two pennies in the module.
Car now runs as intended and all codes clear, voltage from alternator still a happy 14.4v

attached is a pic of the burnt chip on the pc board of the climate control, what the chip is supposed to look like and my fix to make sure it never happens again. What i did was place tape over the "coin slot" shaped hole. the particular tape i chose is for sheet rock repairs and is open weave which will allow air through it. I am pretty certain that the "coin slot" was to allow a diagnostic tool access,and that it wasnt required ventilation, however to be on the safe side I allowed the ventilation to remain but stopped anything larger than 1/16" from being able to get in there.

I honestly hope this helps someone somewhere out there who has this issue as according to the nissan techs I spoke with it is actually a very common problem. Also I suggest that should you decide to take the center dash section out for any other reason that you would be wise to block the "coin slot" it should be very visible in the posted pics.

Have a nice day everyone.
Sean
Attached Thumbnails
2006 Maxima TCS, SLIP, ABS, no start, lights and fan come on, FIX-576-jpg   2006 Maxima TCS, SLIP, ABS, no start, lights and fan come on, FIX-574-jpg  

Last edited by onercboater; 01-06-2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: 2 pics didnt upload correctly I wanted to make sure everyone could see the issue clearly
Old 01-06-2012, 07:15 AM
onercboater

well it seems that i can only post 2 pics per post.... so here is the last two pics... they should have been the 1st two pics
Attached Thumbnails
2006 Maxima TCS, SLIP, ABS, no start, lights and fan come on, FIX-567s-jpg   2006 Maxima TCS, SLIP, ABS, no start, lights and fan come on, FIX-569s-jpg  
Old 01-19-2012, 11:09 AM
2006 Maxima

Default Good tip

Quote:
OK... so 2 weeks ago... the alternator failed (it failed high as in high voltage caused cruise control issues and stereo issues til found and replaced not part of this issue just history) replaced it with autozone alternator which lasted 1 and 1/2 weeks... replaced with new autozone alternator 2 days ago (lifetime warrenty)
So last night I am coming home with jr in the car... as I turn into the driveway my dash board lights up like a christmas tree. ABS, TCS, SLIP lights come on... I was like WOW! I shut it down... will not restart cranks but no fire. Also headlights come on regardless of light switch position and cooling fans kick on regardless of temperature. There is also just the slightest hint of magic smoke (electronic burnt smell) that seems to be centered over the display and glove box area... strongest around the center right a/c vent.
my 1st thought
Then i check CAN/OBD2 codes i get U1000(CAN sytem communications issue) and P0462 (fuel level issue)
So I chase under the dash, remove glove box.... remove entire passanger side lower dash, remove driver side lower dash, remove center console portion of dash, remove radio display/service display... . I can't find it. I probably looked like a crack head as I was busy sniffing wires and connectors... and every box i came across down there.... the ECU smelled fine... looked good... all others looked good smelled fine
Made a call to the dealer (have a few friends that are service techs there) they say look for the A/C auto amp also known as climate control... I was a bit dubious but faithfully looked in dash center console area above the radio.
and
Then i notice an innocent looking box under the dash display... it is white... about 8"x4"x1" white ribbon going into it from climate control buttons... it has a hole or more correctly a slot on the top of it... about the size of a nickle edge on... looks like a piggy bank slot... and it has the faintest hint of burnt smell coming from it. So... I remove it as only two more screws hold it in place.... as i rock it out of its place it makes a funny jingling noise like it has money in it.... I was like then... nah couldn't be. I take it over to the work bench...it is still jingling.... unscrew the cover... pull out the PC board... out fall not one... but two pennies!!! I look at the chip on the PC board... and it has a hole blown in it... well there goes $200+ for new one... or in my case i going salvage yard likely $75-$125 shipped to me.

the case has the following numbers on it
27760 7Yo1A
UPR
5Z09

I write this hoping to help someone else out there who has a similar problem and to warn you guys out there *DO NOT PUT COINS ON DASH* as dumb as it sounds. Fortunately for me it was in front yard and fortunately i am a mobile mechanic and have friends who are mechs and techs. And fortunately Sonora NISSAN in Yuma AZ is a great and helpful dealership (mods you may remove the plug for sonora nissan if you feel need to... i figured they deserved a plug for pointing me in right direction for free)

Good luck and hope this story is helpful to someone out there.
Sean
Thanks Sean, your post helped me diagnose a vehicle at our shop yeaterday. Probably would not have known where to start without reading your post. I wish more folks would post like you.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:12 AM
2005 Maxima

Quote:
well it seems that i can only post 2 pics per post.... so here is the last two pics... they should have been the 1st two pics
where did you order the pc board from?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:47 PM
2006 Maxima

I got the module from the dealer
Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 AM
2005 Maxima

@ ONCERCBOATER I have a 2005 Nissan Maxima and also have the same problem this happen last week and I have sent it to a shop and they can't find the problem.They are telling me I have to take it to the dealer.Is this something that you fixed yourself?
Old 04-19-2013, 04:24 PM
2005 Maxima

Default @ onercboater

Found the exact same issue in my 05 Nissan max. 2 pennies and a dime inside the driver assist module. Very amazing find. Definitely blew my mind how these coins are making the million dollar slide. How the hell did Nissan F up so bad? Obviously it isn't something they intended to design but wow!! Craziest part --- I didn't find any change that made it beyond the module to the floor. If change falls down the front of the info screen, its definitely heading right for that slot. I have plenty of pics of the whole procedure if anyone wants to see them.

- Cheese :)

Tags
2006, abs, fan, fix, lights, maxima, slip, start, tcs