Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2006 serpentine belt replacement Forums > > 2006 serpentine belt replacement 2006 serpentine belt replacement
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 08-25-2011, 05:57 PM
SteveBMe

Default 2006 serpentine belt replacement

Evening all.
I have a 2006 Maxima, with the 3.5 engine.
I've downloaded both the EM, and the MA manuals, and in looking through both, I've found the images of the alternator/ps belts.
In looking at the engine, I am not able to clearly identify the location of the belts.
I've found what appears to be a cover on the left (passenger) side of the engine compartment. But (in looking at the EM manual) it appears that cover is the timing belt cover-- also on the left side of the engine compartment.

Could someone please explain to me what side of the engine the serpentine belts are located?
Do I need to access them from underneath, top, left, right, front, back?

Any photos would be helpful too.
I've attached 3 photos of my engine compartment.
EngComp3, image at right is the left (Passenger) side of the engine compartment.
The first image at left is the whole compartment.
Middle image is the right, or driver's side of the compartment.

Your helps are deeply appreciated.
Best.
Thank you.
SteveB.
Attached Thumbnails
2006 serpentine belt replacement-dismaxima-enginecomp1-jpg   2006 serpentine belt replacement-dismaximaengcomp2-jpeg   2006 serpentine belt replacement-dismaximaengcomp3-jpeg  
Old 08-25-2011, 06:00 PM
SteveBMe

Oh wow... this is way better way to view the images. Thanks to the forum mgmt for doing images this way.
Ok, looking at image 3, there is a cover on left side of engine (bottom of image- I'm looking at engine from passenger side, with camera rotated lengthwise of compartment, focusing on passenger end.). If I'm reading the EM manual correctly, that's the timing chain cover. Is this correct?
If so-- where are the serpentine belts?
If not-- is that cover for the serpentine belts?
Again-- thanks.

Last edited by SteveBMe; 08-25-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: addendum
Old 08-26-2011, 10:41 AM
SteveBMe

Default found the belts.... now how do I....

Hi all.
Ok, found the belts behind the right front tire, and plastic shielding. I've loosened the tightener, but am not able to get the belt off. It's like the tightener pulley wheel won't budge. I've taken a screw-driver, with a rubber mallet and tamped on it, tried budging it-- nothing.
The tensioner bolt/rod/flange is well-free of the mount-- there's like a 1 to 1-1/2 inch gap between the mount and the flange.
The manual appears to discuss loosening the bolt on the wheel to free the wheel to rock up-and down?
It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Some help/pictures would be nice.... Please?

Thank you.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:20 AM
SteveBMe

Default got it.... all done now.

Go figure.
I still got it in me.... I guess 14 + years ain't as bad as I thought it'd be...
It reminded me of why I bought all my tools to begin with.
Belt's in, and appears to be in good order.
Thank you for letting me post my stuff here, and work through the ideas, as well as the service manuals-- those helped a lot.
I'll be back for the rest as time restrictions permit.
And if I run across another issue I'll be back for that too..
Best,
bye.

Tags
2006, belt, replacement, serpentine