Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
1995 Maxima dies after warm up. Restarts, but keeps dying. Forums > > 1995 Maxima dies after warm up. Restarts, but keeps dying. 1995 Maxima dies after warm up. Restarts, but keeps dying.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 07-07-2011, 10:20 AM
emax

Default 1995 Maxima dies after warm up. Restarts, but keeps dying.

I've been threw all the usual sensor suspects. I've replace coolant thernmal, temp, crankshaft position/both and camshaft position sensors. Blew through injector rail, replaced fuel pump and filter. Also switched out ignition switch with other used one. Figured if it was the ignition switch, there would be some difference at least, but no dice. Things like injectors and coil-paks would be cylinder specific and not all go out at once. Not to mention at some point bad ones would quit working permenantly. That hasn't happened this time. Wanted to test for bad MAF sensor, so I disconnected it. Car continued same pattern. Could the MAF sensor still be fooling me, or can anyone think of anything else I,ve missed?
Old 07-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1997 Maxima
1997 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by emax View Post

I've been threw all the usual sensor suspects. I've replace coolant thernmal, temp, crankshaft position/both and camshaft position sensors. Blew through injector rail, replaced fuel pump and filter. Also switched out ignition switch with other used one. Figured if it was the ignition switch, there would be some difference at least, but no dice. Things like injectors and coil-paks would be cylinder specific and not all go out at once. Not to mention at some point bad ones would quit working permenantly. That hasn't happened this time. Wanted to test for bad MAF sensor, so I disconnected it. Car continued same pattern. Could the MAF sensor still be fooling me, or can anyone think of anything else I,ve missed?
Couple of thoughts:
1. I think there are separate coolant temp sensors for the temp guage and the PCM - did you replace the correct one?
2. Can you keep it running with the gas pedal when warm, but it dies on idle? If so - look at Idle Air Control valve.
3. MAF symptoms are usually erratic; this doesn't sound like that.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:12 PM
emax

1> I replaced both the Coolant thermal sensor and what's called the temperature gauge switch, which is what I think you're referring to. In other words, yes. They're right next to each other.

2> Pumping the gas pedal works sometimes, it does and doesn't keep running at idle, and I don't think the Idle Air Control valve can cause this, but who knows?

3> It is somewhat erractic, but as I stated, nothing changed when I disconnected the MAF sensor.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:14 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Did you check for possible clogged EGR? It seems like starving for fuel.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:08 AM
emax

Thanks for the attempt Bennyb53, but I'm somewhat familiar with a failing EGR and this just doesn't seem to fit that bill. The internal membrane of an injector system EGR, with comp-controlled support usually stiffens and causes a "want-a-start, but won't" type of an effect. I will try a temporary switch-out from the vehicle I'm canibalizing for testing, just to see if there's a change, but I'm pretty sure there won't be. Thanks again, for the attempted asist.

P.S.> I agree that there seems to be a fuel restriction action going on here, but I just don't know what's causing it. I was wondering if there might be an additional central injector control, relay, sensor, etc component that I'm not aware of on this vehicle. The repair guide manuals and even the nissan sites don't always mention everything. Why am I going through all of this? I just like the car and want to keep on driving it.

Last edited by emax; 07-08-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
1998 Pathfinder
2001 maxima 20th aninvers

you might check to see if you have some broken wires in the engine harness that runs by the right front strut housing mount

Tags
1995, dies, dying, maxima, restarts, warm