Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 Maxima hard Hot Starts Forums > > 2004 Maxima hard Hot Starts 2004 Maxima hard Hot Starts
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 06-28-2011, 03:09 PM
m33bp

Default 2004 Maxima hard Hot Starts

About a week ago I got a p0340 & p1800 code, car had hard starting while HOT and for some reason the Car Horn stayed on after hitting keyfob to lock.
Cleared codes and got the 340 again. So I did my homework and read a lot of post from this site and became a member. I have recently replaced both Cam Sensors and the Crank sensor. Drove my car and I am still have hard Hot starts.
Nissan said might need to reprogram ECU. Any thoughts? The forum has been a big help, Thanks!!!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:02 AM
slaponte

You might want to search for a ECU reset procedure for your model. There is supposed to be a process (key on, tap the accelerator, blah blah) that resets your ECU. Some of the more advanced ODB readers can do it, cheap ones won't.

I just ran into the exact same situation (P0340) on my 350Z. The weird thing is there is a recall for that on the Z, seems they consider it dangerous for Zs but not for Maximas?? :-P
Old 07-01-2011, 05:08 AM
m33bp

Thanks I will look into the Reset.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:25 AM
m33bp

update
Googled ECU reset, got a lot of hits, read most of what I found and saw several steps in common. Followed the steps and cars started right up, better that it has since the codes, hope that was all it needed. Will keep up to date on progress.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:31 PM
m33bp

Update.

No luck on the ECU reset. drove car about 5 miles to store and it wouldn't restart, once I parked, it took about 20 minutes for it to cool before I got it to go.
I need suggestions.
Thanks.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:41 AM
2004 Maxima

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by m33bp View Post
Update.

No luck on the ECU reset. drove car about 5 miles to store and it wouldn't restart, once I parked, it took about 20 minutes for it to cool before I got it to go.
I need suggestions.
Thanks.
i have the same problem in 2004 maxima, changed both cam shaft sensors, battery, starter, etc still have problems in hot starts, have to wait for it to cool down, did you ever managed to find the solution???? it would really help...
Old 08-21-2012, 06:12 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

I don't know if this is your problem or not but my 95 Maxima had a similar hard start issue although it was when it was cold or would sit over night - driving it someplace after it started and then restarting it wasn't a problem.

It would turn over but wouldn't start.

After replacing most everything fuel system related, I took it to my friend's shop and he diagnosed it as the ignition switch - I thought, no way.

After replacing the ignition switch, she cranks like a new one. Not sure how to diagnose this issue as it didn't throw any codes.
2012 Altima (daughter - replaced 2002 with 8 miles, now with almost 30,000 miles)
Old 08-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Enthusiast
2000 Maxima

Try to change the engine thermostat it could sent wrong sigal to ecu.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:12 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1997 Maxima
1997 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by wau View Post
Try to change the engine thermostat it could sent wrong sigal to ecu.
Not sure you meant "thermostat" - did you mean "engine temp sensor?" If temp sensor is bad, it could be telling computer that car is cold when it is not. Not sure how many temp sensors vehicle has - some cars have separate sensors for temp guage and computer. Good luck.

Tags
2004, hard, hot, maxima, starts