Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Fuel Injector Replacement Forums > > Fuel Injector Replacement Fuel Injector Replacement
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 04-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast
2004 Maxima

DCARLTON- Here is my followup from my P0420 code. The check engine light went away after driving about 700 miles. I think the problem was some build up in the catalytic converter. My mechanic told me that the P0420 code is the catalytic converter and I mentioned that your probme went away after changing the O2 sensor and he said that the O2 sensor will make it go away for a short period of time and would most likely come back. In any case, my check engine light went off and it seems like Gas was not the issue and most likely just old carbon build up from sitting for 6 months. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:46 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

I would agree with your mechanic about the 420 code being catalytic convertor related except for one thing.

The manufacturer of the pre-cat I purchased for the 2002 Altima warranted their pre-cat for 50,000 miles or 5 years. However, they stressed the importance of O2 sensors being maintained in order to maintain the efficiency of the pre-cat, and the importance of O2 sensors in determining the proper fuel mixture which if incorrect will destroy a catalytic convertor. They also indicated that if a P0420 code was thrown, do not under any circumstance assume that pre-cat was bad before checking both O2 sensors and replacing if it was time. Their experience had been that O2 sensors were key in the proper and efficient operation of a pre-cat.....this was all on the Altima model, not the Maxima.
2012 Altima (daughter - replaced 2002 with 8 miles, now with almost 30,000 miles)

Tags
fuel, injector, replacement