Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 nissan maxima a b s problems Forums > > 2004 nissan maxima a b s problems 2004 nissan maxima a b s problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 01-14-2011, 01:50 PM
jome65

Default 2004 nissan maxima a b s problems

I Have a 2004 Maxima. It has 54000 miles on the car which I purchased brand new. About 1 month ago the A B S is going on with a loud grinding noise but the A B S light is not going on(this is at low speeds). I pulled the A B S fuse and ran without A B S because the pump kept running. I took it to my mechinic and he told me there was no problem after he cleared all the codes ( charged me 100 buck for nothing)!!! told me to come back and he will cut into the wires that go into the computer because there could be a short in a ground wire if the noise comes back. CAME BACK AROUND THE CORNER AFTER I LEFT!! I'm not bringing the car back!!! Anyone know whats wrong so i can fix the car myself i am mechanically inclined and just need help in the right direction. THANK YOU!!
Old 01-14-2011, 02:37 PM
2015 Rogue

Use the search feature on the forum. This question has been answered several times. You will find detailed information on how to repair it.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:50 PM
jome65

Thanks I looked it up telling to look clean and or replace rear hubs and clean sensors. As a tech have you seen alot of these issues? And should I presume it is mainly the rear causing the grinding considering there is no error code or check engine light. Again thank's for helping out.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:08 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jome65 View Post
Thanks I looked it up telling to look clean and or replace rear hubs and clean sensors. As a tech have you seen alot of these issues? And should I presume it is mainly the rear causing the grinding considering there is no error code or check engine light. Again thank's for helping out.
I have seen ALOT of these. 99% of the time it is the rear. You don't need to replace any parts. Just take the hubs off and remove the white plastic dust cap behind it. Cut the top so the hole looks like a U and then reinstall the cap and hub.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:03 PM
jome65

Also is there a diagram on this fix and if so how do I look it up on this site? Thanks
Old 01-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jome65 View Post
Also is there a diagram on this fix and if so how do I look it up on this site? Thanks
From the tabs above, under "Knowledgebase" select "Service Bulletins". Then select you model (Maxima), and the select model year (2005 Maxima). You get the list of all bulletins available for your model year (91 for 2005 Maxima). You can filter the bulletins by "Keyword Filter" to reduce the number of bulletins listed. From the "Keyword Filter" list select "ABS" to find problems related to the ABS system.

The Service bulletin: NTB07-016b has the information you need to fix the ABS problem.

Last edited by NissanTech; 01-16-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:41 AM
jome65

Ok,I pulled the right rear sensor and dusted it off when I went to put it back on I noticed a mark like it was rubbing on something along the bottom of the sensor. Should I replace this sensor? It was not that bad looking. Also how do I get the hub off just the 4 bolts behind the hub? Or is there more to come off? Thanks car drow whiteout any gring for a little bit but it did come back.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:52 PM
princecasanova

dude when it comes to Nissan Maxima repair there are alot of tactics on your A B S problem. since you are mechanically inclined then i can recommend you a good tip.

Last edited by NissanTech; 02-17-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:56 PM
jome65

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by princecasanova View Post
dude when it comes to Nissan Maxima repair there are alot of tactics on your A B S problem. since you are mechanically inclined then i can recommend you a good tip.
Fixed thanks cleaned rear sensors

Last edited by NissanTech; 02-17-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:05 PM
princecasanova

good to hear that
Old 02-19-2011, 05:41 AM
silvermax04

I am having the same problem. My abs light is not on but the abs is kicking in when I apply the brakes. The mechanic got no error code when he check it out so he just disconnect the abs so I could drive. I am gonna do what you did to the rear hub and sensor and hopefully that will also fixed my problem too.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:52 PM
2004 Maxima

Default Abs problem

I'm having same problem. I have printed the service bulletin but it doesn't say anything about cutting the white dust cap. It says replace it and the sensor. How are you cleaning the sensor?
Old 06-01-2011, 02:36 PM
patrice

Default ABS troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
I have seen ALOT of these. 99% of the time it is the rear. You don't need to replace any parts. Just take the hubs off and remove the white plastic dust cap behind it. Cut the top so the hole looks like a U and then reinstall the cap and hub.
Thank you..I just followed your advise and it turned out to be the right thing to do on my 2004 Max.. my problem is solved.....The codes said internal trouble in the ABS computer..replace it.....but I prefered to try your trick before doing so ..and...I saved a lot of $$...Thanks again .
Old 10-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Andrew Stec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post

Dear MPE235,

I need your help with this ABS issue. I had cleaned both sensors in the rear, made the hole in the plastic cap bigger so the sensor doesn't touch the cup (that's only done in rear right wheel, I am afraid that water will get in now but I did what your recommended), I replaced the rear right abs sensor with the new one from the dealer $250 deal !!! I don't get the either ABS light or Brake light on, my mechanic says the he doesn't see any error codes when he connects the scanner to the car. The car drives better now but once every blue moon especially when I get off the expressway and reduce the speed from 60 to let's say 40 and start breaking I can hear the clicking in the controller and when I make full stop the ABS starts grinding. Please help.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:43 AM
2004 Maxima

I had problems with the ABS in May 2008, and paid the dealer 533$ to have the rear ABS hub assembly replaced (in parts & labor).

Now 3 years later I have the dreaded actuator hum and after dealer looked at it, quotes me a repair cost of ~$4,100!!! That is more than half the car is worth.

Sounds to me Nissan has a design problem with this stuff they need to pickup the tab.

Incidentally the dealer tells my AC needs repair! I suspect they broke it when messing around it to troubleshoot ABS. It is winter on the east coast I haven't even touched AC since the fall.

No more Nissan for me....

Sounds like ABS is a problem with the Maxima, we need a class action lawsuit...

Tags
2004, maxima, nissan, problems