Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
P0340 camshaft position sensor Forums > > P0340 camshaft position sensor P0340 camshaft position sensor
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 07-29-2010, 10:33 AM
bwithering

Default P0340 camshaft position sensor

Received this code for my 2004 Maxima. i went to autozone and the code drawn said camshaft position sensor (BANK 1). When Autozone pulls up the 2 parts on their inventory screen ... the only 2 choices are front or rear. On their screen it doesn't specify by bank. They told me BANK 1 should be the front. So are they telling me the wrong information? I put in an order for the "front" ... should I call them back and tell them I need to order the "rear" instead? It only takes 1 day to receive the part when they order. I plan on working on the car on Saturday. Can you help me?

(The reason I post is b/c i read a Nissan Quest thread where a Mod stated that BANK 1 was the rear, but just not sure this is the case with the 04 Maxima too?)

THANKS!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Enthusiast
2003 350Z
03,09 350Z and G37x

Bank one cyl. is the bank with #1 cyl in it. With transverse Nissans it is the rear bank and with inline engines it is the right bank with regards to the drivers seat. It is not the front bank as Autozone told you.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:15 AM
bwithering

Ok so I need to call Autozone back and tell them that i need the REAR and not the FRONT. Since that diagnostic code check specifically came back to "BANK 1" this would be my best bet to replace first I assume? Thanks for your very timely assistance.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:47 PM
apayne474

I was sitting in my car yesterday and it just CUT OFF, i tried to crank it back on 2 times and it wouldnt come on. The third time did crank, after cranking i put the car in drive and accelerated and the car wasnt picking up speed at all, so i took it to autozone they pulled the same code p0340, after letting it sit for a few hours the car runs perfect but engine light still on, should i worry?
Old 07-31-2010, 06:38 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by apayne474 View Post
I was sitting in my car yesterday and it just CUT OFF, i tried to crank it back on 2 times and it wouldnt come on. The third time did crank, after cranking i put the car in drive and accelerated and the car wasnt picking up speed at all, so i took it to autozone they pulled the same code p0340, after letting it sit for a few hours the car runs perfect but engine light still on, should i worry?
Yes.Replace the sensor.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:33 PM
naks

Default Can shaft position sensor

I have a maxima SL 2004. My SES light was on for a week or so and then it went off. The car did not start sometimes. Note that is always starts perfect when the engine was cool (i.e. in the morning or when i start it for the first time for the day etc). But when it was worm, I observed this issue.
I took it to a local mechanic and he did the diagnosis check with the computer and found out that this was due to the cam shaft position sensor fault. He had to look at the issue log using the computer since it was not ON by the time he looked at it.
It was around 200$ to diagnose, fix, the part cost.

Thought I share my experience with you guys.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:08 AM
2004 Maxima

Can a bad camshaft position sensor cause a 5-speed A/T to go into failsafe mode (4th gear) at road speed? My Nissan mechanic has settled in on this as the cause (after already unnecessarily replacing the valve body on the transmission, and replacing the positive battery terminal connector). I've looked in the ECM manual and can't find any reference to a link between the two.

Tags
camshaft, p0340, position, sensor