Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2002 Maxima High Engine Rev When Shifting from 2nd to 3rd Forums > > 2002 Maxima High Engine Rev When Shifting from 2nd to 3rd 2002 Maxima High Engine Rev When Shifting from 2nd to 3rd
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 03-11-2010, 05:31 AM
2002 Maxima
2002 Maxima

Default 2002 Maxima High Engine Rev When Shifting from 2nd to 3rd

I have a 2002 Maxima SE with a 4 speed automatic transmission. The engine often appears to over rev when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Specifically, it will quickly jump from 2,000 to 3,000 RPMs very quickly, and briefly, when leaving 2nd gear for 3rd. This seems to be more noticeable when the engine is cold. At first, I thought this was an intentional trait of perhaps both the engine and transmission until they had both reached normal operating temperature, but I am curious to know if anyone else is experiencing this, and/or if this might be a problem.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

The transmission gears are probably starting to slip. How is the condtion and level of the transmission fluid? when was the last time you service the transmission?
Old 03-11-2010, 05:16 PM
2002 Maxima
2002 Maxima

Thank you for your prompt reply and evaluation of the problem. I had the car to my local mechanic, recently. He examined the transmission fluid and said it was OK but the level was a little low, so he added the necessary amount. I had a sporadic noise from the front end that was difficult to hear. The mechanic couldn't find the source of the problem. So, I took the car to a local Nissan dealer and they replaced the driver side front wheel bearings. This eliminated the noise problem. I mentioned the shifting problem to Nissan service. After experiencing the problem themselves, they suggested having the transmission fluid flushed. I was reluctant to have this done as I've heard from a variety of sources this was not very useful, but I went ahead and had it done, anyway. While having the transmission flush done didn't help the problem, fortunately it has not made it worse. Years ago, the car was recalled for a throttle position sensor problem. Could a problem with the throttle position sensor have anything to do with this shifting problem? I'm not certain what to do next. I'd take the car back to the Nissan dealer, but while they seem to good work, they also seem to have a tendency to do more that what's really necessary. Thank you again for your time.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:44 AM
2001 Maxima

I have an 01' maxima AT with the exact same problem. Did all the suggested troubleshooting with no fix. If your fluid looks good, no fragments in the pan, and no codes being thrown by the TCM or ECM, check out the service bulletin NTB04-035 in the knowledgebase section. Says replace the solenoid pack. I was going to do it last year but the price was too high($350) for the part. I just found them on ebay for $165 new. I will post if this fixes the problem.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:27 PM
2002 Maxima
2002 Maxima

Thank you very much for this useful information. I'd really like to eliminate this annoying problem. I appreciate your taking the time to reply.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:48 PM
2001 Maxima

Angry

Hey JWATERS,
If you have not replaced the AT solenoids yet do not do it. I did and had no results, wasted $165. I'm currently researching other causes for our problem. I did come across some other threads for similar problems in which the techs advised replacing the dropping resistor. It is supposed to control rough upshifting between gears. The advise was given after folks like me replaced the solenoids, rev sensor, and other related components with no results. If you have done anything let me know what you did and the results. I'll keep you posted with my tpoubleshooting.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:39 AM
2002 Maxima
2002 Maxima

SonnyNY,
Thanks very much for the information. I appreciate you taking the time to update me on your efforts. I'm sorry to hear replacing the solenoids didn't solve the problem. I've read all the material you've identified on the problem, and the solenoids replacement looked promising. I haven't yet replaced mine and based on your post, I won't. I can tell this is problem is annoying you as much as it does me. If I have any luck in solving it I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks again.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:25 AM
2001 Maxima

I got it!!!! Did two things and not positive which did the trick.
1-First disconnected and removed the dropping resistor, cleaned connectors and anything corroded and replaced. It's the thing mounted to the strut housing by the battery. I do not think that was the problem.
2- Adjusted the throttle position sensor. The TPS is mounted to the throttle body. It has two plugs in it and mounted with 2-8,mm bolts. If you are not mechanically inclined bring it to a mechanic with access to nissan factory repair manual or alldata. You can look it up in the knowledge database here if you want to try it yourself. I only had to adjust maybe .25mm. I'm pretty sure this was the problem all along. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2010, 01:10 PM
2002 Maxima
2002 Maxima

Great news and congratulations! I'm sure you must be very happy especially since you've put so much time, effort, and money into solving this problem. I really appreciate your taking the time to let me know about this. I'm sure others who have this problem and have been reading your posts will appreciate this information as much as I do. I has wondered about the throttle position sensor being somehow associated with this because it seemed to me that every since I took the car to Nissan sometime back and they adjusted the sensor, it seemed from that point on that I noticed the problem. I'll definitely follow-up on your suggestions. Again, thank you very much!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:03 PM
amountainmama

Cool Actually this didn't work!!

Adjusting the throttle sensor position unfortunately only is a temporary fix.
It just fools the computer for a little bit, then resets itself back to the original problem.

This fixed the problem long enough for this car to be sold to me!!
I was able to drive about 2000 more miles and then the slipping and reving started all over again.

Now it ran the code for the torque converter. I took it to a Nissan dealer ( this was after I had a local mechanic change the transmission fluid and filter)
and now the transmission is shot.

I've now talked with 5 Nissan mechanics who have all said the same thing. The throttle sensor would have nothing to do with the slipping gears.

I'm now pouring another 2 grand into this 5 grand car I was stuck with.

Let me know how that suggestion worked for you!!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:57 AM
2002 Maxima
2002 Maxima

Thank you for this post and I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with your Maxima.

I never did anything about this and decided, for the time being, to live with the problem since for me its only slightly annoying. When I saw the post about the throttle position sensor it reminded me of an adjustment the dealer had made to the sensor shortly after I had bought the car. It seemed from that point on I noticed the over-revving problem but didn't associate it with the adjustment.

This is my second Maxima and unfortunately this car has given me more problems than the first. It's still not clear to me if this problem can be fixed of if it's just how the transmission operates.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:19 PM
amountainmama

I'm going to have to sink 2 grand into it and go to Aamco for a tranny. The mechanic said "you should have bought an Altima! We do 4 of those a month, we do 4 Maxima's a week!"
Old 11-04-2010, 09:58 AM
jvrobert

I'm having this exact same issue. Cold weather (well, relatively - I live in phoenix, but it only started recently with temp drops and it only happens in the morning) slips going from 2nd to 3rd gear.

Dealer charged me $350 to replace wiring harness which did nothing, now he wants to charge me $650 (possibly discounted for wasted $350, possibly not - not sure yet) to replace the TCM. Is this likely to even fix it? The cold weather behavior sounds like a mechanical issue, not an electrical one.

Tags
2002, 2nd, 3rd, engine, high, maxima, rev, shifting