Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
How to replace nissan maxima 95 stoplight swatch Forums > > How to replace nissan maxima 95 stoplight swatch How to replace nissan maxima 95 stoplight swatch
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 11-24-2009, 07:26 PM
ansari4u

Default How to replace nissan maxima 95 stoplight swatch

hello

i need ur help sir How to replace nissan maxima 95 stoplight swatch

plz help me abut that
Old 11-25-2009, 05:42 AM
2000 Maxima

This is a How-to I put together for another Maxima forum when I replaced mine (2000 Maxima AT). I'm not sure if it is exactly the same for your car, but I share it just in case.

I became aware of a malfunctioning Stop Lamp Switch in my car when I began having trouble with my gear selector being "locked", unable to move from Park, unless I manually depressed the shift lock. This started happening on rare ocassions. As it was happening more often, I began to search for information and found out that the culprit was indeed a defective stop lamp swicth. I also found out that, while I was having this issue, my brake lights were not working, and I began noticing that cars behind me were stopping dangerously close to my rear end, since my brake lights were not doing its job of warning them when I was slowing down.

Replacing the Stop Lamp Switch (or brake light switch).

Parts and procedure are as follows:

The picture below shows the Stop Lamp Switch (also known as Brake Light Switch) along with the packaging displaying the part number (again, keep in mind that this is for a 2000 maxima; I wouldn't know if it is the same part # for any other year). At a local Nissan dealer, the price out-the-door, including taxes, was $37.73.

Since it was a little uncomfortable for me, I removed the plastic cover under the steering wheel so I can give myself more room to maneuver. Some people may not need to go through this step and save some time in the process.

The next picture shows the general area where the Stop Lamp and the Automatic Speed Control Device (ASCD) switches are located. This view is from the driver side floor looking up towards the dashboard.

In order to release the defective part, hold it by the body (where the Nissan logo is) and turn it 45 degrees, in the direction of the arrow shown in the picture below.

Note: The switch in your car might be similar but may involve loosening a nut and just unscrewing the switch, instead of the twisting action described below, in order to remove it from the holding bracket.

This twisting action will cause the switch to pop out towards the harness. (Note the position of the switch as it is being released).
Completely slide out the switch, disconnect it from the harness and set it aside.
Grab the new switch and connect it to the harness.
Slide it through the hole and push it against the stopper attached to the brake pedal, holding the switch in the same position as the old switch was when it was released.
While pushing the switch against the stopper, turn it 45 degrees, this time in the opposite direction as the arrow shows in the picture above, in order to secure it in place.
To finalize, depress and release the brake pedal a few times to make sure the switch is securely in place, and to test that your brake lights are working.
If everything is in working order, you are done.

Last edited by Maxdom; 11-25-2009 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Alternate removal procedure
Old 09-22-2012, 06:47 PM
2007 Altima

Exclamation SUPER helpful!

This post has got to be the most helpful of all the ones I've seen because of the pictures! Thank you for doing this! I switched mine out in about a minute :)

I do want to let you know (this work for altimas as well) to leave a half inch gap when you twist the switch back the 45 degrees. I pushed it in too much and when I was driving, the car thought the brake was on WHILE I was still pushing the brake. Let's just say my car started shaking and I couldn't go faster than 15 mph (imagine having your left foot pressing brake and right foot pressing gas at the same time). So keep the spacing the same as the switch next to it. :)

Tags
maxima, nissan, replace, stoplight, swatch