Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Repeated p0340 code after sensor replacement Forums > > Repeated p0340 code after sensor replacement Repeated p0340 code after sensor replacement
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 06-25-2009, 12:26 PM
redox6023

Angry Repeated p0340 code after sensor replacement

Hello all. I have a 97 Maxima with 174k miles. It has been momentarily stumbling while cruising and the engine will shut off during idle sometimes. A few months ago it threw a CEL code p0340. I replaced the sensor but the code keeps coming back on. I took it to a mechanic to get it diagnosed and they said it could be a bad coil but that the sensor and circuit were fine. I then checked all 6 six coils and found a bad one. Replaced it, ran fine for a week, then started stumbling and cutting off again. Eventually it threw the same CEL code. I checked the coils again, and all showed resistance values within range. I am out of ideas now. I worked on cars for 17 years and this has me beat. I read a service bulletin about the 03 Altimas have the exact same problem. Heres the link:

Service Bulletins Nissan Cars

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Sometimes the coils fail intermittently and can be a real pain to sort out.In some cases it better to replace all six but be careful of aftermarket coils as the just dont cut it.Will look to see if there was a update to the ECM and get back to you.Checked and found nothing on this. Check the service manual and all it said was to replace the cam shaft position sensor(phase).The link you provided was for the altima and Sentras only.Lets hope someone will add to this .

Last edited by tech22; 06-25-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:26 PM
redox6023

I do appreciate it. I have the service manual too and it only says to replace the sensor(phase), which has been done twice. I linked the Altima bulletin because it's exactly what my car is doing. I would go ahead and replace all six coils, but buying OEM Nissan coils will probably run upwards of 600 dollars, that which I don't have atm. The bad coil was replaced with an aftermarket one, but I didn't know about them not being up to par.

You said they fail intermittently; is there a trick I don't know about other than testing terminals 1 + 2, then switching poles, then 1 + plug lead? Again, thanks.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:01 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

The only two ways i know of ...Use a known good coil and mark it and just swap it from plug to plug till you are able to conferm the bad coil.And last Just mark an existing good coil(?)till you locate the bad one.Found coil for 78.20 and cam sensor for 57.00 at nissan onlineparts.com

Last edited by tech22; 06-26-2009 at 04:06 AM.

Tags
code, p0340, repeated, replacement, sensor