Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
96 Maxima Transmission not shifting into 4th Forums > > 96 Maxima Transmission not shifting into 4th 96 Maxima Transmission not shifting into 4th
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 03-01-2009, 03:21 PM
ttreat

Default 96 Maxima Transmission not shifting into 4th

My sister-in-law has a 96 Maxima with 145,000 miles that won't shift into 4th/OD. There was an error code of p0732 "improper shifting into 4th gear". Other than the tranny not shifting into 4th, there seems to be no slipping or other problems. I have searched and found that there is a TSB for the solenoid replacement. I have a few questions.

1. Is it likely the solenoid is fried or is there something else the might be a problem?
2. Should we try to change the fluid, put in an additive like Lucas or Seafoam Trans Tune, or flush the transmission to see if this helps?
3. The TSB for the replacement seems to only deal with a crated tranny and gives bench instructions, is it possible to do this without removing the tranny? Has anyone done this and documented it?
4. I have seen post for solenoids and a part number for about $80 but also have seen them for about $350. Is the $80 part only a single solenoid replacement?
Old 03-05-2009, 05:25 PM
ttreat

Any help? Please...
Old 03-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

that code u got is for 2nd gear, im not very familiar with trannys but u check out the code info Nissan OBD-II Trouble Code P0732 also check out the service manual and download the engine control section and look up the code and u can get more info Knowledgebase - 1996 Maxima - Nissanhelp.com

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 03-06-2009, 05:38 PM
ttreat

Sorry I messed up with the cross reference. I guess the scan code would actually be p0734. The self diagnosis code was 1106 which is "Improper shifting to 4th gear". This also makes sense because the car won't shift into 4th gear. Has anyone fixed this problem with a tranny flush? I have done a lot of maintenance work but I haven't ventured into tranny internals.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:48 PM
red dog

Default your tranny problem

I drove a 96 maxima, daily till this November. The tranny started slipping in 3 rd and not shifting properly. I would need to let off the gas to help the thing shift into 3rd. it was a little better after the car got warmed up. well it has 200,000 miles on and was getting worse. I bought a trans filter and new fluid and a quart of that Lucas trans conditioner. drained the pan and removed it to replace the filter. that was a complete waste. the filter is just a metal screen that is self cleaning and completely clean. then replaced the pan and added conditioner and new trans oil. thied it for a week. no change, maybe slightly worse. drained another quart of iol out and added another quart of Lucas trans conditioner. then it really slipped bad. the problem is the material burnt or worn on the friction plates and conditioner made it slip worse. I parked the car and baught another 96 maxima just like it and will use my original for a parts car.

bottom line- if you don't want to invest in a complete trans overhaul, dump the car. the additive won't work.

Tags
4th, maxima, shifting, transmission