Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2016 Nissan Leaf does not charge Forums > > 2016 Nissan Leaf does not charge 2016 Nissan Leaf does not charge
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Leaf Nissan Leaf Discussion Forum

Old 04-17-2018, 01:19 PM
2016 Leaf

Default 2016 Nissan Leaf does not charge

2016 Nissan Leaf with 24kW pack. Was charging fine for about 6 months. Recently stopped charging both trickle and Level 2 charger. Charge procedure will start, but stop after about 2 minutes. EVSE diagnostics indicates only very low amperage (0.5A) during this time and then turns off. Multiple chargers have been confirmed to work with other Leafs. There are no timers etc. Tried to charge the 12V battery without luck.

Note: This car is in an unsupported location and cannot be easily serviced by a trained Nissan technician.

The LeafSpy fault codes are:

B29C1 2308 CHARGER EVSE VC-98

P3171 000A EV/HEV PD Module System EVC-241
P3170 000B EV/HEV PD Module System EVC-241
P316C 000B EV/HEV PD Module System EVC-238

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:19 AM
2016 Leaf

I have a simular problem... Did you find an answer?
Old 06-08-2018, 03:22 AM
2016 Leaf

Yes, the solution is to replace the entire PDM (power delivery module). That's the large box you see on top when you open the hood.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:22 AM
2016 Leaf

Thanks for the reply... Do you know what caused it? I am also in an unsupported region... How did you get yours fixed?
Old 06-08-2018, 04:29 AM
2016 Leaf

Difficult to say what caused it. Could have been the electricity supply. If you search, you will see that it isn't that uncommon to have the PDM replaced. I've done it myself. Downloaded the service manual from Nissan ($20 for full access to their manual's library). https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/ and ordered the replacement part from the US.

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/part...2c0-3nf3d.html

Note: Above part is the one for the 24kW 2016 model. You need to make sure you order the correct part for your model.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:47 AM
2016 Leaf

Wow Thanks for the information.... I have a 2016 too.

My wife recently ran out of main battery and had to get towed home. While she was waiting for the tow truck, she had the lights on and managed to run the 12v battery dead. The car would not charge until I got enough charge into the 12v battery... it would charge for a few minutes and then stop, just like its doing now... Since then it's been fine for the last couple of weeks.

I check the 12v battery today, at it was at 13v. It's recently got cold here (NZ)... I am hoping that it could be the 12v battery is just too week or something... I have it charging on a trickle charger now so I'll see how it goes in the morning...

The other strange thing was that LeafSpy stopped talking to the bluetooth adapter, so I was not able to read any codes... not sure why that would happen...
Old 06-08-2018, 06:56 PM
2011 370Z Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokako View Post
Wow Thanks for the information.... I have a 2016 too.

My wife recently ran out of main battery and had to get towed home. While she was waiting for the tow truck, she had the lights on and managed to run the 12v battery dead. The car would not charge until I got enough charge into the 12v battery... it would charge for a few minutes and then stop, just like its doing now... Since then it's been fine for the last couple of weeks.

I check the 12v battery today, at it was at 13v. It's recently got cold here (NZ)... I am hoping that it could be the 12v battery is just too week or something... I have it charging on a trickle charger now so I'll see how it goes in the morning...

The other strange thing was that LeafSpy stopped talking to the bluetooth adapter, so I was not able to read any codes... not sure why that would happen...
If you are looking to get the part mentioned above check out our site. Be sure to use our coupon code at check out to get 10% off. All of our Nissan parts are New OEM Parts. We actually working from out of a Nissan dealership, but we run our own parts site. The coupon code is BEELINENEWBIE.
https://www.beelineparts.com/?p=cata...tr=292C0-3NF3D
Old 06-09-2018, 07:25 PM
2016 Leaf

I want to give an update of my issue in case it might help someone else. First off the OBD adapter had a bent pin that was causing the communication problem, so that was a relief, and as soon as I got LeafSpy running again, I had a look at all the error codes.

As I stated above, we had a tow-to-home incident recently where the 12v battery got drained. I also forgot to mention that we also had a night where we forgot to plug the car in, so it went a full 12+ hours with out being charged.

These things lead me to suspect the 12v battery. I checked it with a multi meter and it read 12v. I decided to disconnect the negative terminal and connected a 12v trickle charger and left it over night. I've read other reports that said disconnecting the battery for a period allows you to re-set the computer systems....

In the morning a checked the batter voltage and it read 13v, but when I reconnect it and plugged in the EVSE, the car would still not charge and displayed the same behaviour where the first blue charging light would blink for 2 minutes and then go out.

I still suspected the 12v battery so I went out and got bought a new one. I brought it home installed it and then FIRST cleared all the trouble codes using LeafSpy. Once the codes are gone, I crossed my fingers and plugged in the EVSE.... and it started charging!

I was very relieved to say the least, but now I would like to know what was going on...

I can understand that the computers controlling everything need 12v to operate, but what does that suggest about the condition of the old battery? I understand that in an ICE car the battery needs amperage to run the started motor, but what does the LEAF need from the 12v battery that is so demanding?

Tags
2016, charge, leaf, nissan