Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Ntb07-081 Voluntary Recall Campaign Forums > > Ntb07-081 Voluntary Recall Campaign Ntb07-081 Voluntary Recall Campaign
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Latest Uploads Latest Knowledgebase Uploads

Old 01-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Default Ntb07-081 Voluntary Recall Campaign

A new entry has been added to Knowledgebase

Description:
2002, 2005, 2006 ALTIMA, SENTRA; VOLUNTARY RECALL CAMPAIGN ECM REPROGRAM (2.5L)
Nissan has determined that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in some 2002 and 2005-2006 model year Nissan Altima and Sentra vehicles equipped with the 2.5 liter engine. On some of these vehicles there is a possibility that the engine might stop running while being driven due to the program in the Electronic Control Module (engine computer). If the engine stops running while driving, this could result in a crash without warning. To prevent this potential condition, Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Safety Recall Campaign to reprogram the Electronic Control Module.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit NTB07-081 VOLUNTARY RECALL CAMPAIGN
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:13 PM

2005 Altima

Unhappy NTBO7-081 Voluntary Recall

On 02/06/08, my 2005 Altima 2.5 began stopping dead while driving. It was sometimes difficult to restart. I took it to my Nissan dealership today. I was told the problem did not have anything to do with the control module. Rather it was a "crankshaft belt issue" that needed addressed. Because of the vague response I received from my questions, I am concerned. Has anyone else had this problem with their 2005 Altima?
Old 02-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

JoyBell, have you had the recall done in your Altima?
Old 02-05-2008, 06:48 PM

2005 Altima

Yes, today. However, the dealer still has the auto, waiting for the "crankshaft" part, which I was told was the cause of the low speed stalls.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Yes, the sensor should take care of your stalling problem.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:13 PM

2005 Altima

Thank you. That is what I think. I am concerned with my dealership, because I was told several times that the recall was NOT the cause of my stalls; that they "updated" the module, but the stall problem had to do with a crankshaft misalignment/belt. I fear they are going to do work that may not be necessary, since my warranty is expired. The vague responses to my questions, and the contradiction to the module problem raised concern. I will speak to someone higher up the chain tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:42 PM
dominicc

I too had the recall done, and not soon after that my car started "jerking" while at high speed driving, almost like an engine skip. Then "Service Engine Soon" light started to stay on. Pulled codes from AutoZone and indicates a faulty crankshaft sensor. I find it very odd that the sensor failed about a week after the ECM recall work was performed, and that the symptoms of the recall happen to be very similar to what I am experiencing despite the recall work already being done.......disappointing.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Talonted

Yeah I had the recall performed about 2 months ago. And yesterday I was on the thruway with my infant daughter and all of a sudden the motor shut down and then shot back on. Then it started doing it at low speeds, and the service engine light went on. So I immediately take it to the dealership and tell them what happened. "Oh well sir you see we have to diagnose it so that would cost you $92. WHAT!!!! I already diagnosed it with my OBD II Code reader. It says PO I believ # 335, but states Crankshaft Position Sensor A circuit malfunction. If i am not mistaken if the sensor itself is bad the car will not start. Am I wrong? And also when they do the recall do they have to go under the hood? Because the day after the recall was performed My car started to overheat. I go under the hood and all of a sudden I see that the coolant fan sensor was freaking unhooked. Good thing I know a little about cars because some other joe schmo might take it back to the dealer and they charge $100 to plug it back in!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 04:50 AM
phaderus

Talonted
I have a 2002 Altima and after 115000 miles, yesterday for the first time my car started jerking when I would stop at the stop or traffic light. It also stopped one time when I came to a stop in heavy traffic, but it started back up.
Can I ask you if I can take my car for the ECM recall fix now.. AND if it is even worth it since it causes other problems.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:05 AM
Talonted

Well with your car they are required to reprogram it no matter what the mileage, it is also said in some of the recalls that I have read that they will replace the crankshaft position sensor as well as reprograming the ECU. I had to replace the f'ing sensor myself because mine was an 05 and they said it wasn't covered under the 02, 03 recalls. I paid $42 for the sensor and took me about 45 minutes to install, but yes it would still be worth it for you to look into the recall being done along with the sensor being replaced. Here is the website where I found out about the sensor replace for your car.

The ActiveTuning Blog: Nissan Altima Crank Sensor Recall Being Reviewed

Hope this helps
Old 05-08-2008, 12:52 AM
whowy04

Angry Why isn't an 05 covered?

I haven't read the service bulletin yet, but I have the same exact problem. Engine light stays on. Engine cutoffs after high speeds, during high speeds. Transmission-sounding problems...maybe downshifting, but I'm far from a mechanical expert.

So, basically, correct me if I'm wrong, I just need to take my car in to the dealership, but once there, do I present this bulletin or wait for their diagnosis. Unfortunately, I don't really trust dealerships. I think some are just as sly as Jiffy Lube.

I spoke with my mechanic today. He told me that any certified transmission shop would hook up to my car's computer and at the very least tell me what's causing the problem, possible for free --- realistic?

I just don't want to get ripped off. I'm quite ignorant when it comes to my car's mechanical issues, but being mine is a 2005, with 64k and i've rreplaced the brakes, battery, rotors, alternator, and a few other items, I'm really starting to re-consider even keeping it. TO think, I've only owned Nissans all my live.

Sorry for the long post. This forum is and has been the only good resource I've found so far.

Thanks...
Old 05-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

You need to call your local Nissan dealer and have them check for any outstanding recalls four your vehicle. If there are no recalls, turn around and take your vehicle to the nearest AutoZone, they can check the engine codes for you free. Post the codes and problem in the Altima Forum and will be glad to help you diagnose it.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:20 PM
bowtieboy55

I too had problems after 2005 emc recall was done and was told it was the Crank position sensor or belt. Sounds similar to everyone elses problem. Shouldn't this be added to recall work?
Old 08-23-2008, 10:27 AM
celly2004

I dont know if this has to do with this recall, but I have a 2006 altima and recently my car generally when I coming to a stop with not accelerate past 5mph. I have almost been in two accidents because of this. I have had to pull over and wait a couple of minutes for the car to correct itself. I can floor it and it will not pick up speed, i took it to my dealer which they stated it was a battery fusable link, well after paying to have that replaced and still having the same issues they are now saying they "think" it might be the speed sensor? But they can not gaurentee that will fox the problem, how crazy is that. Has this happened to anyone?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:44 AM
Jeremy14

Having a similar issue to what everyone else reported. My wife has an '05 Altima that ran perfectly. We received a notice about the ECM recall issue, took it to a local dealer to have it reprogrammed, now the car peridically will not rev over 750 rpm. The "check engine" kicks on, and no matter what you do there is no acceleration.

Just took it back to the dealer today, they're telling me that they have to do a $95 diagnostic, and it's likely unrelated to the recall. I'll provide an update when they call back, but I'm not expecting good news.

Tags
campaign, ntb, recall, voluntary