Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Oh Crap... drill bit to major wire harness! HELP Forums > > Oh Crap... drill bit to major wire harness! HELP Oh Crap... drill bit to major wire harness! HELP
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Juke Nissan Juke Discussion Forum

Old 01-25-2016, 07:09 PM
2012 Juke
2012 Juke Nismo

Question Oh Crap... drill bit to major wire harness! HELP

Hey all... made a MAJOR boo boo over the weekend on the wife's juke. Was installing aftermarket driving lights and couldn't find a way to get through the firewall.

After several attempts at other solutions, I decided to drill a small hole just inboard of the main wiring harness that punches through the firewall. All was going great until the bit stuck, torqued funny, then drove into the main harness! Little bit of sparks

I tried to start it up, but the car was pissed. All the lights came on, the radiator fan came on, and I couldn't shut it down without taking the battery out.

I pulled the battery, air intake, etc to expose the main wire loom. I carefully removed all the electrical tape and looming and exposed all the damaged bits. In total, from what I could tell it was about 4 -5 nicked wires and two severed wires. I carefully wrapped the exposed, nicked wires with electrical tape and extended and spliced the severed wires back together.

Put the whole mess back together and guess what!? Worked -- car is like it always was EXCEPT now 4wd switch doesn't do anything. The light on the dash doesn't come on no matter the switch setting.

I checked the fuse box left of the driver side dash -- that is the only one with a 4wd fuse -- nothing open.

I checked the fuse box driver side front - no open fuses

I checked the hidden box under the air intake -- no open fuses.

I am at a loss as to where to start troubleshooting... anyone have any ideas??

Reefmo.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:52 AM
2012 Juke
2012 Juke Nismo

Default GOT IT!

Whew... Thanks to all. The FSM was the Godsend! Tracing the power flow showed me a fuse that I wasn't expecting to be part of the circuit... and guess what? It was open. Replaced that bad boy and viola!

Thanks again.

Out of the doghouse,
Reefmo.

Tags
bit, crap, drill, harness, major, wire