Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
New here... Just bought a used Altima and it has orange coolant Forums > > New here... Just bought a used Altima and it has orange coolant New here... Just bought a used Altima and it has orange coolant
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Introductions New to the site? Post a little something about yourself.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:46 AM
2008 Altima Sedan

Default New here... Just bought a used Altima and it has orange coolant

Hello all... new here.

I just bought a 2008 Altima. Car drove great during test drive, etc. Fluids looked ok (so I thought). I went ahead and bought it, it will be my daughter's when she turns 16.

Doing some looking at it yesterday, seeing what needs to be done, etc... I noticed the coolant is orange. I didn't think anything of it when I was looking at the car, but when I was doing some research on fluids and such, I noticed the required coolant is like a green color. Mine is orange, like Dex-Cool. Needless to say, I will be flushing and replacing that.

Only other issue is it threw a p0715 code the other day driving away from a stop light. When it did it, the car wouldn't accelerate, it more lurched forward. A shut off/restart fixed the problem... but it has happened three times. It also had a p0746 and P1770 code. I reset the codes and the only one that has reappeared is the 0715. I'm guessing I need to replace that sensor.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:41 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

That's not a good sign. When it was "lurching," what was likely happening is that the steel belt was slipping on the pulleys in what Nissan refers to as the "sub set." If it continues to do this, it will damage the pulleys and require a new sub set. This often occurs to a faulty TCM/valve body assembly. Replacement of either or both items requires removal of the CVT transmission and many times a shop will just recommend a new CVT assembly. So, fingers crossed that it is just the sensor!
Old 03-17-2019, 06:07 PM
2008 Altima Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
That's not a good sign. When it was "lurching," what was likely happening is that the steel belt was slipping on the pulleys in what Nissan refers to as the "sub set." If it continues to do this, it will damage the pulleys and require a new sub set. This often occurs to a faulty TCM/valve body assembly. Replacement of either or both items requires removal of the CVT transmission and many times a shop will just recommend a new CVT assembly. So, fingers crossed that it is just the sensor!
I replaced the sensor, and the code cleared. I have driven it a couple hundred miles, just running around town, doing errands, etc, and the symptoms/code has not reappeared. I am hopeful this was the issue.

Tags
altima, bought, coolant, orange