Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hi there, Forums > > Hi there, Hi there,
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Introductions New to the site? Post a little something about yourself.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:34 PM
2008 Pathfinder

Default Hi there,

New guy here.

I bought a 2008 Pathfinder with 120000 miles on it, last January and am very happy with it. However, just two days ago, the battery just died. So, I got another one and installed it, then took it to the mechanic to check the alternator, just in case it caused the battery to fail.

He said the alternator was fine. But he recommended I change out the radiator because it was a time bomb. First I heard of that. Run around $1000 for parts and labor.

I don't have that kind of money, and I never heard of a "time bomb" radiator. Since my Nissan Quest ran like a top for 300,000 miles and I never had a problem, I found it hard to believe. So, I said no and checked on line.

Pretty long intro, huh?

Anyway, I learned that there is a time bomb radiator. And I'm living on borrowed time. So, I'm planning on doing the bypass tomorrow, so if the radiator fails, at least the tranny will be safer.

But I'm a bit confused about what it is that is running through those hoses that I'm going to swap. Is that tranny fluid flowing through the radiator and I'll have to add more tranny fluid when I'm done? Or is it coolant?

It can't be both, can it?

Anyway, hi again!
Old 12-15-2015, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

I recommend to get a second opinion, I don't trust on mechanics that try to scare customers with terms like "Time Bomb".
Quote:
But I'm a bit confused about what it is that is running through those hoses that I'm going to swap. Is that tranny fluid flowing through the radiator and I'll have to add more tranny fluid when I'm done? Or is it coolant?
Transmission fluid runs in a small tube (transmission cooler) through the radiator.

I don't recommend bypassing, instead get a second opinion. You should be able to replace the radiator for around $300 with and aftermarket radiator.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:46 PM
2008 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
I recommend to get a second opinion, I don't trust on mechanics that try to scare customers with terms like "Time Bomb".

Transmission fluid runs in a small tube (transmission cooler) through the radiator.
Ok, thanks. I had already found out from other sources.

What's the purpose of that when it has a perfectly good transmission fluid cooler in the front of the vehicle?

Quote:
I don't recommend bypassing,
Why? If you don't mind me asking. From what I've read, its a simple, inexpensive procedure that won't harm the vehicle.

Quote:
instead get a second opinion.
I did. The cheapest I can find is $530 before taxes.

Quote:
You should be able to replace the radiator for around $300 with and aftermarket radiator.
Unless I can find a real good reason not to bypass, I'm not gonna spend upwards of $500 when I can swap tubes for around $20.

Thanks for responding, though. I had forgotten that I asked a question on this forum. It doesn't seem to be very lively.