Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
3k oil changes is a myth??? Forums > > 3k oil changes is a myth??? 3k oil changes is a myth???
Forgot Password? Join Us!

General Chat Off Topic Post. Sports, News, Events, Meets and Shows. (No technical Issues)

Old 06-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

Default 3k oil changes is a myth???

The-3-000-Mile-Oil-Change-Myth- Yahoo! Autos Article Page found this pretty interesting artical. i still change mine evry 3k i use mobile1 5w30 and mobile1 filter but that cause im anal about my car.

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 06-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Say what they want but I have always changed my oil every 3,000 miles and never had any engine problems. I guess I would rather be safe then sorry. Heck, they use to say eggs would kill you and then another article says that eggs are good for you. You could go crazy reading this stuff! :)

FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REPAIR SHOULD COST?
Repair Cost Estimator

BUY NISSAN ACCESSORIES!
Nissanhelp Store
Old 06-18-2008, 06:14 AM
Boomer

I am a retired organic chemist and used to include petroleum chemistry in my college lectures. I too use Mobil 1 (regular) and change twice a year. A friend has had a Porsche Boxster for some years and the dealer changes the oil with Mobil 1 extended performance ONCE A YEAR! This is what Porsche recommends. With almost 100,000 miles on this car, there are no problems.

Good synthetic oils that use PAOs and polyester stocks will not readily oxidize or form sludge, both of which can foul engines. The lubricity is high because of controlled molecular weight and architecture. Since the oil doesn't really break down significantly, the only real enemy is dirt and loss of additives. If you keep the air filter clean and don't have a coolant leak or other issue, the oil should be fine for at LEAST six months. This allows for a wise use of natural resources and keeps your maintenance costs down as well, a win-win situation.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

What I have seen working on cars for a bunch of years, is that for the first 60K miles the oil comes out clean when the oil is changed it every 3K miles and even at 5K still clean. But over 60K the oil starts to get dirty around 3K.

I usually replaced the oil every 4-5 month, that's around 3K miles, but I care more about time and not the miles, since most of my driving is a stop and go traffic.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

when i had my audi a8 i didnt chage the oil for like 6k at a time but that cause i wouldnt drive hard just cruise u know and i used mobile 1 0w40 with the oem filter from dealer but now since i got the max i go pretty hard on it so i change it at 3k
Old 06-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Pieman47

I change my oil once a month due to the fact that I drive long hard miles all the time.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:04 AM
Enthusiast

2009 Maxima

Try every 5000 - its easier to remember that way. Every 3000 is a scam and it is causing alot of pollution besides making the Oil companies more profitable.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Bama334

According to the Nissan's I own the hard time interval is 3750 miles, this is for idling for hours on end, heavy duty towing, commerical use, etc, not many of us doing that so most of us qualify for the 7500 mile change. This interval recommend by Nissan engineers with mineral oil. And most people feel they sin if they change oil at 5K. Some BMW's, and Mini's have a 15k interval, and now with Mobil 1 and the extended service oil recommended for 15k oil changes, Amsoil has recommend extended intervals for years. So why worry about a 3k oil change when manufactures have recommended 7K intervals for years. The end result, we buy less foreign oil, less trash in our landfills which saves money and our intervals are still within manufactures
recommendations.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:19 AM
Boomer

Go over to the forums at Bob is the Oil Guy and read their comments on Auto RX, a material used to clean out deposits in older engines. It gets very high marks from users there, including oil company chemists. If you have a high mileage engine that shows deposits, this may be a good thing to pursue.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Altima

UAO (Used Oil Analysis) says it all. Mobil 1 or any other full synthetic oil can go beyond 5000 mile easily, and probably more like 10000 before needing a change unless the car is absolutely beat the death, like on a race track. These days, most non-synthetic oils can go 5000 miles easily. Anyone changing oil (especially full synthetic) at 3000 miles is wasting resources, time, money and energy.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:18 PM
b1ynd

I use Castrol sintec 10w 40 on my sentra and 20w50 in my 240sx change it twice a year on both every summer and christmas so far no sludge and my engine is clean. My dad uses amsoil on his pathfinder trucks one is a 1990 and the other a 2000 model he changes it once a year same thing no sludge whatsoever.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Where I am located I do believe in 3000k oil changes. With terrain, hills etc, and all aluminum engines, I believe to reduce oil breakdown keep at the 3000 k interval even though the recommended change is 5000k.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:56 AM
2006 Murano

FYI, I am an ex-VW owner. Since 2008 all VW's come from the factory with synthetic oil (Castrol?). The service interval for them is every 15,000 km's or once per year!
I use Synth oil in my '06 Murano and change the oil every 8,000 km's (5000 miles) and have never had a problem.
I used to work in the auto industry at the importer level (VW/Audi), a significant amount of pressure comes from the dealerships to keep the oil change interval to as frequent as possible; it keeps business flowing into their service bays. That said, while I don't think it's possible to change your oil too often (if you have the $$) I do think that Nissan's decision to have such amazingly short oil intervals has more to do with keeping the dealers happy than for any technical problem with the Nissan engines.
Audi used to have a terrible sludging problem in their engines, they then en-masse switched to synthetic (like VW) and all the sludging problems disappeared. Synth oil simply does not break down like dino oil does.
As long as you use synth oil IMHO I see no issue's with twice-yearly oil changes, just remember to check the oil every once in a while to top it off!

Cheers,
Daryl
Old 09-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Alt-Tab

All my vehicles get chaned at 5K miles no matter what the time interval turns out to be and I am probably wasting resources doing so. So I pay extra for the peace of mind. Oil is the lifeblood of the vehicle; every 5K miles is about right for me and my driving conditions and temperment.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Bama334

My sister has a 2010 Camery takes 0w20 oil for a 5K interval.

Tags
myth, oil