Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Walmart Supertech Synthetic Oil Analized Forums > > Walmart Supertech Synthetic Oil Analized Walmart Supertech Synthetic Oil Analized
Forgot Password? Join Us!

General Chat Off Topic Post. Sports, News, Events, Meets and Shows. (No technical Issues)

Old 11-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Default Walmart Supertech Synthetic Oil Analized

I thought this might be of interest to some. I recently had Blackstone Labs analyze my engine oil. My 2006 Pathfinder has been running Walmart's Supertech Full-synthetic 5W30 engine oil since I purchased it 4+ years and 65,000+ miles ago. First of all, I do not work for Walmart nor would I even suggest that their Supertech Synthetic Oil is the best on the market! I usually use a genuine Nissan oil filter or, when in a pinch, a Purolator Pure One filter. I once heard it was made for Walmart by Royal-Shell, the makers of Rotella, but I know Walmart changes the suppliers of their house brand products, so I can't be sure who makes it now. At roughly $17.50 for a 5-quart jug, it's a great deal for full-synthetic oil!
For this test, my Pathfinder had 7500 miles on the oil and there is 150,000 miles on the vehicle. A Nissan oil filter was used at the last oil change. The results were impressive! Blackstone Labs recommended replacing the oil at 9500 miles based on the results. Here is the report:

Old 11-04-2015, 01:42 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

In the past I have written about Super Tech, an in house brand of WalMart. I have used its Coolant which I believe is made by Preston as I read the ingredients Verbatem. I also used the Brake Fluid same for Clutch Fluid and Power Steering fluid with no issues.

Just been to Walmart two days ago to buy Mobil 1 5w-30 Full Synthetic for my gf Z3 2.8L Roadster at $31.68 for a 5 Qt. jug. I ordered the Mann oil filter with O-Ring and air filter from Amazon. Just got back from Bay Area and a relative has a BMW 330 Ci and had an oil change from Oil Changer for about $90. which I thought was fair. I called them what brand they use and I was told North American Full Synthetic. I never heard of North American motor oil advertised but apparently its used by most fast oil changer.

My further reading on this subject told me all engine oil sold are tested and must have the API (American Petrolume Institute) rating in North America. So long as the packaging has the Seal of the API and current rating of SN, it's just as good as any oil with same rating. I could have use Mobil 1 0w-40 which is approved by ACEA, the Europian counterpart of API as ILSAC is the Asian counterpart.

Bottomline: If packaging says meets or exceeds API, ACEA or ILSAC Specifications any Brand is just as good.

Last edited by bennyb53; 11-04-2015 at 01:45 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:01 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Yes, for the most part the only differences are in the additives. Pennzoil is selling oil made from natural gas; whether it's better or not is still debatable. One thing I found interesting in checking out Blackstone Labs' site is they state they use conventional oil in their own vehicles and not synthetic, basically stating, "It does the job." All oils that are API certified will usually work just fine in any vehicle so long that it meets the manufactures specifications and viscosity recommendations. Nissan recommends 7500 miles on conventional oil for my vehicle, but for as inexpensive it is to use Supertech's full synthetic, I like going with the full-synthetic. It would be interesting to run Supertech's conventional oil for 7500 miles and have it tested, but $38 a sample is a little expensive to be randomly sampling different oils.

Tags
analized, oil, supertech, synthetic, walmart