Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
N2 or not to N2 - That is a question? Forums > > N2 or not to N2 - That is a question? N2 or not to N2 - That is a question?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

General Chat Off Topic Post. Sports, News, Events, Meets and Shows. (No technical Issues)

Old 09-25-2014, 01:47 PM
2014 Frontier Crew Cab

Default N2 or not to N2 - That is a question?

I’d like to through this out for general thoughts.

I just bought the wife a new pickup and they made such a big deal out of nitrogen in the tires instead of air. I have heard they have been doing this for a while and it’s supposed to benefit the vehicle owner. Now from what I’ve read, it keeps the tires cooler and helps lengthens the life of the tire since there is no moisture in the pressured vessel as with filling atmospheric air as over the many decades. Also helps prevent rust or corrosion on the inner wheel material not covered by the tire. Formula One drivers really benefit from this during a race. And the places where they fill or cap your tires off charge between $5 to $20 per tires because it suppose to be that good per the auto industry. All good and well.

But from the material I’ve read, the extra life given to the tires for the normal consumer would be about 100 to 300 miles, if any.
The cooler temperatures in the moving tires really doesn’t benefit normal driving conditions, with or without a load.
Personal experience, the corrosion / rust found with the inner tires were limited on any of my of my wheels, if any.
I never heard of anyway it helps increase miles per gallons.
I usually check my tires at home when cold, and found ‘no’ moisture in the tires when they were changed out for new ones.
I see no real benefits and at this time plan on doing what I have been doing these decades.

Anyone’s thoughts on this is appreciated.
Pro’s ?
Con’s ?
Info I might have missed ?

Am I that far off and thinking to much like a very old timer ?

2014 Frontier SV Crew Cab V-6 5 Speed Auto
Retired: 2004 Frontier KingCab XE 3.3L 5 speed
Old 09-26-2014, 12:10 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Let us remind ourselves that our planet Earth atmosphere consist of Nitrogen 78%, Oxygen 21%, and 1% of various gases such as argon, helium, neon, co2, methane (human and animal farts, no kidding), etc. The cost benefit at the moment does not warrant spending the money for the average consumer. If you use your vehicle tires in your daily commute to and fro to work, you will be replacing them before major corrosion can set in. I think it's wise to invest in say 4 gal. air compressor, a tire gauge so you are able to do your own tire maintenance. Since only Oxygen is able to escape through the microscopic openings in the tires, keeping consistent tires pressures mean checking pressure regularly and pumping air when needed. Modern passenger vehicles equip with TPMS eliminate the tire pressure checking chore completely. Pumping air will over time the air in your tires will mostly consist of Nitrogen (N2). It is my understanding that Nitrogen air making machine can only make at best 95% pure Nitrogen.

In heavy industries such as mining where you see those monster dump trucks with tires costing upwards of $100k each it makes sense because they have the capital to invest in Nitrogen air making machines. In Car Racing is another and they're probably doing it already.

Last edited by bennyb53; 09-26-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Frontier King Cab
2005 Frontier LE King Cab

For my 2005 Frontier KC LE, I have exclusively used N2 in my tires for the last 4-5 years and while I don't really see any tire performance improvements, I see a great improvement in normal servicing intervals and I don't have any nuisance TPMS lights either. I'm told the N2 molecule are larger so there is not much N2 escapement as compared to the O2 molecule- I really haven't researched this one way or another. That is I don't need to check my tire pressure until my 5000 mile service period and I typically only need about 3 lbs per tire after 5k miles.

I use Costco or certain America's tires location out here in Calif. and don't pay a dime extra for the N2. In closing, there is not enough benefit in the N2 if you have to pay for it.

Tags
question