Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
knock sensor circuit high input Forums > > knock sensor circuit high input knock sensor circuit high input
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 10-15-2008, 08:37 AM
mike2u

Default knock sensor circuit high input

I have a 2003 Nisson Frontier 4x4, auto trans, 3.3 ltr engine, 125k miles. I love the truck, but I only get 17 mpg on highway. Bought an Actron scanner. I get a code: Knock sensor 1, Circuit high input, bank one or one sensor. What could be the problem? I set the timing at 8 btdc. I connected the scanner before adjusting the timing. Does this set the system in the diogostic mode. I was an excellent machanic prior to the introduction of computer controlled engines. Now I need help. Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

17 mpg is not too bad. Unfortunately replacing the knock sensor is not easy, I suggest to erase the code for now and if the codes come back ON, you may considering replacing the sensor.

Here is more information about the code: Nissan OBD-II Trouble Code P0328
Old 10-16-2008, 10:48 AM
mike2u

Thanks for your response. Would that mean that the sensor needs to be replaced or could the sensor be picking up on some other cause of knock? If this would indicate that the sensor is faulty, then I want to replace it. I have cleared to code several times and it returns. From reading in a Haynes repair manual, it appears that the knock sensor controls to timing thru the CPU. This could possibly cause poor fuel economy by my reasoning. What would be considered good fuel minage for this vehicle. The individual that I purchased it from told me that he got 24-25 mpg. Seems that he was "full of it".
Old 10-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

I get about 15 on my Xterra and is the same engine, but I only drive about 8 miles a day.
Quote:
Would that mean that the sensor needs to be replaced or could the sensor be picking up on some other cause of knock?
If you are confident that there are no other problems with the engine and that the gas you are using is OK, then you need to replaced the knock sensor.
Quote:
From reading in a Haynes repair manual, it appears that the knock sensor controls to timing thru the CPU.
Yes, it retards the timing to avoid engine damage.
Quote:
This could possibly cause poor fuel economy by my reasoning.
When the timing is retard, you usually lose power, if you are try to compensate the power lost by accelerating the engine more, then yes it will affect the MPG. Usually retarding the timing increases the MPG
Old 10-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Enthusiast

2003 Frontier SC 4x4 Crew

I traded in my truck because of knock sensor problems. Nissan wouldn't cover it under the extended warranty and it was a long battle with several dealerships. I finally gave up and refused to pay for something my warranty should have covered.

I got 12mpg city and 16-17mpg on the hwy. If you get 17, you're about average. I had the supercharged model and lots of extra weight and mud tires though. If you are getting a knock sensor code, it's a real pain to replace and not for the average shade tree mechanic. My advice (after extensive research into this subject) is to just replace the sensor. I also recommend relocating the sensor to the side of the engine block. There are people who have done this successfully because you have to take everything off the top of the motor down to the block to get to it. If you relocate it, you can replace it yourself later. IT WILL FAIL LATER. They last about 100,000 or less I hear.

You can bypass it but I don't recommend it. It's there for a reason. Just bite the bullet and replace it. FOr some reason, Nissans are plauged with knock sensors and this is a common problem for them.

Good luck.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:06 AM
mike2u

I want to thank everyone who responded to my request for help!!! This site is good by me. I will suscribe as paying member. I will now try to locate info on installing the sensor on the side of the engine block. Any help? Seems that I saw a site or forum once that gave detailed info. By the way, I'm confident that the gas is OK. Tried other brands that also do not contain ethanol (big joke for energy policy) and also added octane booster. No help there. Thanks to all once again!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2u View Post
I want to thank everyone who responded to my request for help!!! This site is good by me. I will suscribe as paying member. I will now try to locate info on installing the sensor on the side of the engine block. Any help? Seems that I saw a site or forum once that gave detailed info. By the way, I'm confident that the gas is OK. Tried other brands that also do not contain ethanol (big joke for energy policy) and also added octane booster. No help there. Thanks to all once again!!!
Thanks a bunch for Subscribing! NissanHelp needs everyone's help to provide this service.

Download your Service Manual and take a look at Section EM - ENGINE MECHANICAL.

BTW - I have a 2004 Frontier. My all time best was 19 1/2 MPG! Unfortunately, I just can't keep my pup under 55MPH!

FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REPAIR SHOULD COST?
Repair Cost Estimator

BUY NISSAN ACCESSORIES!
Nissanhelp Store
Old 10-26-2008, 07:40 AM
mike2u

Default need info on relocation of knock sensor

If anyone can give me info on a site I once saw showing the relocation of the knock sensor please help. I saw it somewhere once but havent been able to find it now that I'm going to relocate it. The site even gave the part number foe the section of wiring harness that I would need to purchase.

Last edited by mike2u; 10-26-2008 at 07:42 AM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 10-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2u View Post
If anyone can give me info on a site I once saw showing the relocation of the knock sensor please help. I saw it somewhere once but havent been able to find it now that I'm going to relocate it. The site even gave the part number foe the section of wiring harness that I would need to purchase.
I pulled this from your Service Manual Section EC - ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEM (EC-861).

Hope this helps...
Attached Thumbnails
knock sensor circuit high input-image4-gif  
Old 10-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

The relocation DIY was for a pathfinder, but It should work on your Frontier: 3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation
Old 10-28-2008, 10:36 AM
mike2u

Thanks. I copied the info from the link you gave me. It was the one that I had seen before but was able to locate again. I"m going to give it a try. Will be several weeks before I can do it as GROUSE AND TURKEY season just opened in Virginia and my dogs would divorce me if I didn't take them hunting! I located the white wire but haven't found the clear one yet. Maybe this relocation site could be flagged someway as I noticed that a lot of people on the forums are inquiring about the relocation.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Daytona~*~Girl

I have also been dealing with the same issue for over a year now, and finally it registered the PO328 code on the computer. I have a 2003 Nissan Frontier 4x4, 3.3ltr Super Charged. Can anyone update me on the knock sensor relocation, has it worked? Do you recommend it for a super charged model?
Old 09-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2006 Altima

I recommend it for any model. All you are doing is moving it to a easier place to service the next time.

Mike I get a pretty solid 20 MPG. I get 22 sometimes on the road for a long trip. I get 18 to 19 pulling my mixer or my small boat. I have the same as you 3.3 no SC 5 speed trans. I use it for work when I don't need to do anything heavy.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Frontier

Don't replace parts blindly. Shame on all who said to do so. If you have a cut wire on the voltage supply side, or a bad ground on the ground side, you can replace the KS until they need sweaters in Hades, or until the fed balances the budget, and you will ALWAYS have a KS DTC code.

I cracked flywheel can cause a false KS DTC. ANY motor noise can do this; not just pinging from spark knock.

At idle, take a screwdriver, and tap the handle on the block next to the sensor, and see if the motor revs up (or stumbles). That tells you that the KS is GOOD.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:50 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

This knock sensor thing has been going on now for what seems like forever.Tune- ups,relocating,replacing parts,ect.The bottom line on this is that this ENGINE has been a pain in the buttocks for many including myself.I was so glad the 4.0 came out.My take on this matter is the sensor is way to sensitive to any amount of noise that may develope inside or outside of the engine.Is relocating the answer. I don't think so.Replacing the sensor...Why? It's the same POS sensor and we are just moving the a more quite place.The botom line is Nissan should have addressed this problem along time ago and untill they do lets just keep on doing what makes the customer happy.

Tags
circuit, high, input, knock, sensor