Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
need help with torsion bar anchor arm repair on 2002 Frontier XE Forums > > need help with torsion bar anchor arm repair on 2002 Frontier XE need help with torsion bar anchor arm repair on 2002 Frontier XE
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 05-22-2008, 06:43 PM

2002 Nissan Frontier

Default need help with torsion bar anchor arm repair on 2002 Frontier XE

Hi All,
I need help determining how to repair the loose torsion bar anchor arms on my 2002 Nissan Frontier XE (2.4L, 2WD) that are causing pop/clunk noises.

Bought this truck in as-is condition (no warranty) from a local Nissan dealer about a year ago with ~41,000 miles on it. A month or two after the purchase I noticed periodic pop/clunk noises under the truck when driving at slow speeds, especially on uneven surfaces. With time this noise has become louder and more frequent, and is now to the point that it’s pretty annoying.

Finally isolated the source of the noise to some abnormal movement where the torsion spring bar joins the front of the anchor arm at the #2 frame crossmember. This condition exits on both the left and right sides of the truck, but is more pronounced on the left/driver’s side.

More specifically, the noise originates from movement of the forward end of the anchor arm where it passes through a hole in the side of the #2 frame crossmember. If I grab the torsion bar spring by hand and move it forcefully side to side or up and down, the front end of the anchor arm moves slightly and pops or clunks as it hits against the hole in the frame crossmember that it passes through.

There’s a small gap between the anchor arm and the hole it passes through in the crossmember, but I’m unable to determine if this is due to wear on the anchor arm, wear in the hole, or both. The connection between the torsion spring bar and anchor arm appears tight on both sides. It also appears tight where the anchor arm exits a hole in the rear of the #2 frame crossmember.

Surfing online I found that this same problem occurs in 1999 and 2000 Frontiers. Nissan Service Bulletin NTB00-075a, dated 12/14/00, addresses the repair for this. The fix is to slide a large washer (Nissan part # 01311-0003U) over the front end of the anchor arm such that the washer apparently jams inside the top and bottom of frame crossmember and prevents the loose anchor arm from moving against the hole in the crossmember that it goes through.

Nissan modified the 2002 Frontier (my truck) by welding a half pipe across the #2 frame crossmember between the front and rear holes for the anchor arm. This piece acts like a saddle that the anchor arm rests in. Presumably Nissan did this to try to fix the problem present in 1999 and 2000 Frontiers (above). In my case at least, the problem still exists in the 2002 Frontier.

Anyhow, the NTB00-0075a fix with a washer will not work on the 2002 Frontier because the half-pipe added to the #2 frame crossmember prevents this.

Does anyone know how to repair this problem in a 2002 Frontier? I’m reluctant to just replace the anchor arms (~$50 each and several hours of labor) and see what happens since it looks like the front hole in the crossmember could also be slightly enlarged. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem and knows the fix.

I’ve been unable to find any info. on whether Nissan has an official repair for this in 2002 Frontiers. I also called two Nissan dealer shops and neither was even aware of this problem in Frontiers. Any help would be much appreciated.

Craig
Old 05-31-2008, 02:28 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

You said your bought your ride "used." How do you know "Nissan" added the half-pipe and not a previous owner?

FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REPAIR SHOULD COST?
Repair Cost Estimator

BUY NISSAN ACCESSORIES!
Nissanhelp Store
Old 05-31-2008, 10:28 AM

2002 Nissan Frontier

Default 2002 Frontier, loose anchor arms; half-pipe support

vpnavy,

Your observation is a good one and I appreciate the feedback. So far there are 44 reads to my original post on May 22 and yours is the first and only reply.

That is always a possibility, that the half-pipes could have been added by the previous owner, but it sure all looks like original manufacturer welding and assembly to me.

I have not in fact been able to find any information online confirming this (presumed) design change and addition in 2002 Frontiers. But referencing the diagrams and instructions in Nissan Service Bulletin NTB00-075a, the torsion bar anchor arm assembly at the #2 frame crossmember in 1999 and 2000 Frontiers is definitely not the same as in my 2002 Frontier (which has a half-pipe added in the crossmember to support each anchor arm).

So anyone know anything about the addition of this half-pipe for anchor arm support in the 2002 Frontier? Any 2002 Frontier owners with the same in your truck? Anyone else having or had a problem with loose anchor arms at the #2 frame crossmember in the 2002 Frontier that causes pop/clunk noises?

Craig

Last edited by craigf7777; 05-31-2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigf7777 View Post
vpnavy,

Your observation is a good one and I appreciate the feedback. So far there are 44 reads to my original post on May 22 and yours is the first and only reply.

That is always a possibility, that the half-pipes could have been added by the previous owner, but it sure all looks like original manufacturer welding and assembly to me.

I have not in fact been able to find any information online confirming this (presumed) design change and addition in 2002 Frontiers. But referencing the diagrams and instructions in Nissan Service Bulletin NTB00-075a, the torsion bar anchor arm assembly at the #2 frame crossmember in 1999 and 2000 Frontiers is definitely not the same as in my 2002 Frontier (which has a half-pipe added in the crossmember to support each anchor arm).

So anyone know anything about the addition of this half-pipe for anchor arm support in the 2002 Frontier? Any 2002 Frontier owners with the same in your truck? Anyone else having or had a problem with loose anchor arms at the #2 frame crossmember in the 2002 Frontier that causes pop/clunk noises?

Craig
If no one replied - they probably didn't have a solution.

I uploaded Section SU - FRONT & REAR SUSPENSION which covers the Torsion Bars. Maybe this will help. It is a BIG file 1.5MB. Hope this helps for now...

2002 Frontier Front & Rear Suspension Section SU PDF FILE
Old 06-23-2008, 11:49 AM

2003 Frontier

Craig:

I have a 2003 Frontier with a snapping sound that appears to come from the torsion bar assembly. Was going to disassemble next month due to lack of info on web searches. Thanks for your good info. Also thanks to vpnavy for the suspension docs. Do either of you know what size washer will fit on the torsion bar?

RDEdstrom
Old 06-29-2008, 10:55 PM

2002 Nissan Frontier

RDEdstrom,
Thanks for your comments and question. Thanks also to vpnavy for your earlier reply with the suspension docs. I'm still searching for details on how to repair the loose anchor arms on my 2002 Frontier. Have been unable so far to find out exactly what is required for this and been putting off disassembly until I get more info.

In my original post I mentioned that Nissan Service Bulletin NTB00-075a deals with the repair for this problem in 1999-2000 Frontiers; a large washer is put over the front end of each anchor arm inside the #2 frame crossmember to tighten its position here. I bought a couple of these washers at a local Nissan parts dept. before realizing this fix won't work on my 2002 Frontier (see original post). Not sure about your 2003 Frontier. These washers measure 2 3/8" diameter, with a hole diameter of 1 5/8"; Nissan part #01311-0003U, $1.92 each.

Does your 2003 Frontier have a half-pipe welded across the inside the #2 frame crossmember that acts as a saddle for the anchor arm to rest in? This is the case for my 2002 Frontier, and the reason why a washer can't be put over the end of the anchor arm here to tighten it in #2 frame crossmember.

Craig
Old 07-02-2008, 02:09 PM

2003 Frontier

Craigf7777,
Am dissassembling the torsion bars tomorrow to see what's what! Does not look like there is a half-pipe. Thanks for the info.

Bob
Old 07-04-2008, 04:45 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

OK.. there is no true fix for this problem but a band aid repair. Sorry to tell you this. Since i cannot see for myself the gap between the bar and mount lets assume its within limits. it should be a slip fit but not sloppy.Remove the bar and install the washer.Pack the socket with a good water proof grease. I like "green grease.Reinstall the bar.Now you must set the ride hight of the vehicle. Place the truck on a level surface and measure from the ground to the lip of the front fender in a stright line useing the center of the tire as a guide on both sides The distance needs to be the same. Adjust the bar you replaced to achive this.This may be a job best done at a alignment shop.See the proceedure to accomplish this in the tech maunal that can be found in this web site.If the socket has not been damage this should fix the problem,at least for a good long while.It's a good idea to pack alittle grease into both support brackets each time you do a oil change.Good luck with your truck.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:29 AM
tnloonrytunes

Default same problem

I have the same problem that you have on a 2001. Where did you find all your info. the dealer i use said that i would have to replace the torsion bars with no guarantee that the problem would not return.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

General shop practice we applyed to the trucks and Xterras.Was told to do this by Nissan area rep.Was also done every time we had to do an alignment(set ride height).
Old 02-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2006 Altima

I never heard of setting ride height measuring to a fender, that don't seem very accurate. My books call fro measuring to the middle of the control arm bolt. 2wd calls for 111 to 115 mm.

edit: on my 03 4wd the only time I hear a noise is when I hit the stops at end of travel, off road only.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:00 PM

2002 Nissan Frontier

Default Service Bulletin NTB00-075a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnloonrytunes View Post
I have the same problem that you have on a 2001. Where did you find all your info. the dealer i use said that i would have to replace the torsion bars with no guarantee that the problem would not return.
Nissan Service Bulletin NTB00-075a gives the details of this problem. You can find a .pdf file of this here at nissanhelp.com Go to Knowledgebase, then Service Bulletins, then Frontier/Truck, then 2000 Frontier, 4th page, 8th entry.

This bulletin addresses specifically 1999 and 2000 Frontiers, but describes the same problem I (still) have with my 2002 Frontier XE. Service Bulletin title is: "Pop" or "Clunk" Noise Under Floor.

The fix for this, as given in NTB00-075a, is the addition of a spacer washer over the front end of each anchor arm. As noted in my previous posts here, this fix will not work on my 2002 Frontier (see details). Check bulletin details to see if this fix applies to your 2001 Frontier.

Tags
2002, anchor, arm, bar, frontier, repair, torsion