Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
engine revs on cold start Forums > > engine revs on cold start engine revs on cold start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 02-25-2008, 12:32 PM
MassFrontier

Default engine revs on cold start

06 V6-on a cold start the engine revs up to 2 rpms, then drops down. Is this normal? 42,000 miles are on the truck. Other than that the truck runs great.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:21 PM
wunnerful

I've had the same problem with my '00 4x4 crewcab with 120k on it;
Fiddled with the cold fast idle cam, but to no avail.

I don't think it's normal, but it'd be interesting to hear what the techs
here have to say that work on 'em all day long.

-Ric
Old 02-26-2008, 06:23 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Fast idle at start-up is normal and should drop down to a fast but lower idle speed until the engine reaches normal operating temp. As for adjusting the fast idle cam well there is none on your 06. It's all done by the ECM. For what ever reason nissans have always had hi idle speeds on there trucks i've had three and all did the same. A good tech at a dealership can lower the speed if you still feel the idle is to hi for your likeing. Enjoy the ride I love my 05.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:02 PM
wunnerful

Tech22, i suspect that Nissan tested wear on engines on startup
and realized that most wear resulted in low oil pressure during such.

That may explain the high rpm startup.

It may be unnerving to a few of us, but if it results in longer engine life,
I'm all for it.

I was able to drop my initial cold start rpm to 1700 by adjusting the
fast idle cam, after less than 10 seconds, it drops to around 1300.

Guess Massfrontier is going to have to have a reprogram on the ECM.

I'm in Phoenix, Az, where the lows are presently in the low 50s and the
summer highs are attributed to Hell...

-Ric
Old 02-27-2008, 06:56 PM
MassFrontier

thanks for the info. the high idle start is most disturbing when it's below 32, and the engine really seems to rev and make valve noise at 0 F. I will look into having it reprogrammed.
BC
Old 07-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Lois4Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassFrontier View Post
thanks for the info. the high idle start is most disturbing when it's below 32, and the engine really seems to rev and make valve noise at 0 F. I will look into having it reprogrammed.
BC
Is that what will fix it..I went to the dealer about it and he says it is normal and they won't change it..I wish I could get a regular garage to work on it. I waste more gas idling almost 10 min. waiting for it to drop in the winter that my 3 mile 35 mph trip to work.I even have to wait in the summer heat for it to go through it's thing before i can drive away. We got a 02 Accord now and have the truck for sale..I hate to get rid of it but thought I'll just get an older 4WD hardbody for winter, camper and building supplies..God Bless You..

Last edited by Lois4Jesus; 07-06-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:11 AM
2019 Frontier Crew Cab

Default 2019 Nissan frontier 2000 rpms

when i start it anytime after it sits for 30 mins it fast idles around 2000 rpms then a few mins will idle down to around 850 rpms when i first start it in morning it takes awile to drop down but rods are knocking and its hot weather when it gets cold it will really knock hard on engine can some one help me fix it dealer wont fix says its normal
Old 08-09-2020, 11:56 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp View Post
when i start it anytime after it sits for 30 mins it fast idles around 2000 rpms then a few mins will idle down to around 850 rpms when i first start it in morning it takes awile to drop down but rods are knocking and its hot weather when it gets cold it will really knock hard on engine can some one help me fix it dealer wont fix says its normal
STP,

I got my '13 V6 Frontier New from Dealer and it was the 1st thing that I noticed. I wanted the Startup RPM to be much Lower, maybe about 1K initially.

I asked about lowering it when I brought it in for the Free 1st Time Checkup, but they weren't able to lower it at my dealership. They said it was normal. I think that it may be to help them with the EPA and the Cat's efficiency.

It's another Reason I stick with 5w30 as recommended and Use only a Geniune Nissan Oil Filter. I started out with Castrol GTX 5w30 Synthetic Blend, but @ about 12,000 mile's I Switched to Nissan Magnatec 5w30 Full Synthetic. This is the only Full Synthetic that advertise's that it will stick even after the Oil Drain's back down in the Sump. Watch This Video:

SEE HOW CASTROL MAGNATEC OIL PROTECTS ENGINES - YouTube

Mine never did Knock or make unusual noise on Startup, except on 1st crankup after oil change. After Changeing to Full Synthetic Magnatec, my motor seem's a little bit Quieter on Normal Cold Start's and Also on 1st Crankup after oil change.

For Our Truck's I Firmly Believe that the Geniune Nissan Oil Filter is The Best and I usually get mine from Either Amazon or EBay because they cost less. Some Nissan Part's Dept's sell on Amazon and/or EBay for less.

There are lot's online that say this oil filter is better or that oil filter is better ~ When it come's to the Oil Filter, "Stay Geniune Nissan Oil Filter" is my Advice.

I hope that you followed the Break In Period recommended in the Owner's Manual. That's very important for long life engine.

Regards,

PS: It has been reported that some Dealership's were putting in a Thinner Oil, maybe 5w20 or 0w20, I can't remember which, but anyway follow the Recommendation on Engine Oil Per Your Owner's Manual is my Advice, unless Nissan Put's out a Bullitin stateing otherwise and you are given a copy pertaining to Your Nissan Frontier Engine.

Last edited by JRJoe; 08-09-2020 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:13 AM
2019 Frontier Crew Cab

Default 2019 Nissan frontier 2000 rpms

how do i get it to idle down some why to much at cold start up 2000 rpms ???
Old 08-13-2020, 07:29 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp View Post
how do i get it to idle down some why to much at cold start up 2000 rpms ???
STP,

You might try talking to the Nissan Service Manager and the Nissan Master Tech at the Dealership.

Only other way that MIGHT be able to do it is:

1. Get yourself a copy of the Nissan Service Manual ie, they are available on EBay and Amazon, as well as other site's on the WWW.

2. Purchase the Geniune Nissan OBDII Service Consult Device. I've been told that they are about 3 or 4000 $'s from the Nissan Part's Dept.

Beware if you lower the Cold Engine Startup RPM's it may affect the durability of the Cat's, so in the end, Lowering the Cold Engine RPM's might not be very profitable.

Good Luck on however you decide to proceed.

Tags
cold, engine, revs, start