Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2000 Fronty - Oil Leak - Exaust Air Leak - New Shocks Forums > > 2000 Fronty - Oil Leak - Exaust Air Leak - New Shocks 2000 Fronty - Oil Leak - Exaust Air Leak - New Shocks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 08-29-2007, 12:00 PM
soke2001

Default 2000 Fronty - Oil Leak - Exaust Air Leak - New Shocks

All, Please assist... I have three questions regarding my 2000 V6 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab. I appologize in advance for such a long post...

First, I'm leaking oil from the front end of the engine (right where the radiator is, way in front... based on the oil spot). I just recently got the truck back from the shop after they replaced the radiator. The old one broke, which caused my knock sensor to act up after I started the truck with no water in the cooling system. I looked under the truck and can't see where the oil is coming from... maybe something to do with the radiator?

Second, the union part where my exaust pipe and exaust manifold pieces come together with screws and a gasket (sorry, don't know the name) is leaking air... it's not leaking that much air but when I drive through a place with walls on both sides you can really hear it when you step on the gas. Truck is working fine though, but wondering if it's OK for a minor air leak, if it should be sealed 100% and if it's expensive to fix.

And finally, I have a 3" fabtech lift on my truck and the shop said I needed new shocks... They would install them for around $130 a piece (Parts/labor included)... First, how do I know if I need shocks or not and 2nd, is that a good price.

Thanks in advance to the entire community.

Last edited by soke2001; 08-29-2007 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Making it easier to read.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:47 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by soke2001 View Post
All, Please assist... I have three questions regarding my 2000 V6 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab. I appologize in advance for such a long post...
You are giving us Fronty Owner's a bad name with all these problems you have had with your ride.

1. Smog Inspection problem.
2. Shimmie and Shake problem.
3. Window Rattle problem.
4. Oil Leak - Exaust Air Leak - New Shock problem.

Just wondering - did you buy the car new? How many miles do you have on it?

Don't give up on it - hopefully when you get these last three problems addressed - it will be a great ride again.

FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REPAIR SHOULD COST?
Repair Cost Estimator

BUY NISSAN ACCESSORIES!
Nissanhelp Store
Old 08-30-2007, 02:20 AM
2015 Rogue

The oil leak near the front could be transmission fluid from the cooler in the radiator.

The exhaust leak is probably a cracked exhaust manifold. Very common on the frontier.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:26 AM
soke2001

I bought my 2000 Fronty in 2004. Bought it from a friend for $5000, it had 95K miles on it. This truck is fully loaded (Leather, Sunroof, Premium Sound, etc...) and it came with a 3" Fabtech lift and after market wheels/tires. 3 years and 72K miles later, here I am, refusing to replace my Fronty. I now have 167K miles on it, but hope I can get many, many more.

I love my truck, but it has really given me many headaches. These are some of the things I've had to get done.

Knock Sensor Replaced.
Time Chain Broke = Broke a Valve and had engine redone.
A/C compressor replaced.
Radiator Replaced.
Gas Tank Spigot replaced, it was causing Check Engine.

But the worst was the fact that it took me over 3 months to get my smog check complete because the previous owner took the exaust system sticker off from under the hood and they couldn't locate the EGR valve. Turns out that this particular model never came with an EGR valve... had to find the Service Bulletin and show it to them in order for the truck to pass (The "visual" inspection was the only failure.)

Anyways, I like Nissan. Like it so much that I purchased a new Nissan Xterra and I'm loving it. Hopefully with the forum's help I'll get my truck running in optimal condition in no time... thanks for your response.

Tags
2000, air, exaust, fronty, leak, oil, shocks