Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
EGR System Fault:  P0402 Forums > > EGR System Fault:  P0402 EGR System Fault: P0402
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 08-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Alle

Default EGR System Fault: P0402

Hi everyone, (2001 Nissan Frontier XE 2.4L)
I recently got a service engine light with the following Autozone computer diagnostics result:
1.EGR valve stuck open
2.Failed EGR pressure sensor
3.Failed EGR Valve
4.Failed EGR pressure and position sensor.

The following were recommended:
a. Replace the EGR valve.
b. Clean it...DIY and is easy.
c. Don't mess with it, take it to a Nissan Tech.

I don't even know where the EGR is located let alone clean it.

ANY help/input in this matter would be appreciated very much.

Thank you,

Thanks all
Old 08-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Welcome Aboard!

Download Service Manual - Engine Control 2001 Nissan Frontier. You will find information about the EGR.

You can find it on: http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/103

FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REPAIR SHOULD COST?
Repair Cost Estimator

BUY NISSAN ACCESSORIES!
Nissanhelp Store
Old 08-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Alle

Thanks vpnavy,

Even though I haven't downloaded any files, when I attempt to download your suggested service manual file, I get the following response :
Sorry, you do not have sufficient download allowances available at the moment .Allowances: 1 files/1 used.
I will search for it online and also try it later on .
Thank you,
Old 08-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alle View Post
Thanks vpnavy,

Even though I haven't downloaded any files, when I attempt to download your suggested service manual file, I get the following response :
Sorry, you do not have sufficient download allowances available at the moment .Allowances: 1 files/1 used.
I will search for it online and also try it later on .
Thank you,
You are only allowed one download a day unless you subscribe. If you haven't downloaded anything today - the system might still be processing your registration. Give it a try tomorrow and let me know if you have a problem.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:14 AM
2001 Frontier King Cab
2001 Frontier XE 2.4L

Default P0402

I have the same truck, 2001 Nissan Frontier XE 2.4L, and the same code P0402.
If your truck has high miles, your solution is most lightly to unclog the 4 intake manifold ports. #1 and #3 ports were not too difficult to get to. I used a wire coat hanger to punch through the carbon that was covering the hole inside the port. Use a good flashlight to visually confirm that you got a hole inside the port before screwing the plug back in. I had to unbolt the EGR valve & pry it away a bit to gain access to #4 port. I was hoping I didn’t have to pull the throttle body for #2 and managed to do so; therefore, you can also do it without having to do that. Note: Do not stop without unclogging all 4 holes. My EGR monitor refuse to complete after I just did #1, 3 & 4 even after driving thousands of miles. I then did #2 and the EGR monitor completed after just 15 or so miles of driving and then I was able to pass my smog test. I don’t think you need to spray cleaner just as long as you vacuum up the loose carbon inside the ports. Hope this helps another owner and save them so time and money.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:18 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

About a decade ago I had the code P0402 on my 1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2.4L. I checked the EGR valve operation with a hand vacuum pump as per the manual, checked out fine. Then I decided to look for broken, cracked, or off-the outlet vacuum hoses, was pretty stumped. Then I saw something in the manual about an "EGR modulator" under the EGR, figured to take one last look. I found that a 3-inch long vacuum hose under the EGR was actually rotted away in its middle, so I replaced that and the 1998 has had no check engine codes since. I was fortunate.

Tags
egr, fault, p0402, system