Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Question about Emission warranty Forums > > Question about Emission warranty Question about Emission warranty
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 05-22-2021, 10:21 PM
2016 Frontier King Cab

Default Question about Emission warranty

bought a used 2016 frontier King cab 2.5L and it throws a PO420 code quite frequently.

Truck has 63k miles and what I read from the warranty in my manual, is that it is possibly covered by the 8 yr/80k federal emissions warranty since the Cat is probaby bad. Im in Michigan and WE DO NOT HAVE MANDATORY EMMISSIONS TESTING IN MY STATE.

Here is my question : I called Nissan help and they were totally worthless; you talk to some college kid that does not even know their warranty info.

If I take my frontier to the local Nissan dealer, they want 1 hr labor to diagnose and tell me if I can get a free catalytic converter. The Manual says that Diagnosis and Repair is FREE totally,,,,,,,are they justified in charging me 140$ to diagnose it ????

If I cannot get a free Cat from Nissan,,I found a decent Stainless Steel converter from BREXhAUST on Rock Auto for 477$ ( It looks well built like the Magnoflow, only cheaper).

this is my first post

appreciate any input
Old 05-23-2021, 02:53 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

RoadRunner,

It's not a good idea to throw part's in hope that the part will fix the problem. I try to do all my service work myself and repair's. If it is something that I'm not sure of, I take mine to Nissan, let them diagnose it and do the repair. It may turn out not to be a cat, but a sensor that needs to be replaced.

You might also be able purchase the Nissan Cat from a Nissan Dealer on Amazon or EBay @ a lower cost, with the understanding that if don't use it or open the box that you can return it for a full Refund.

IMO it's best to stay with Geniune Nissan Part's when possible.

Regards,

Last edited by JRJoe; 05-23-2021 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:38 PM
2016 Frontier King Cab

thanks for the input.

I do most of my own work but if a new cat is covered, I will let them do it since I would not want to void the warrant for federal emissions. My point was that my dealer is trying to rip me off possibly by charging me for what I believe to be warranty work.

like in medicine, you really need to do much of the footwork yourself because I am a Doctor and a Mechanic and Computer engineer and am very familiar with those industries and the people that work in them. Many mechanics do not know about fuel trims, bias voltage etc,,,,,,,,, this is why I picked up a LAUNCH CP129e charting scan tool to see how my components are behaving.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:22 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

I'm pretty sure that an independent ASE-certified shop can also honor the federal emissions warranty. And dealer should too; just establish this beforehand with either.

True: back in the 1980s, a co-worker had a GM sedan out of GM's warranty; he took it to an independent repair shop, they diagnosed his issue, and replaced his distributor, few hundred dollars, car ran fine. He told me about this, and I told him about the federal emissions warranty that is in addition to a manufacturer's warranty. He went back to the shop and shop put the repair through the federal warranty, and he got a refund and paid zero.

I imagine the shop initially netted more dollars from him than they'd get from the federal warranty; I'm pretty sure the shop knew about the federal warranty before he told them about it....

Tags
emission, question, warranty