Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Decoding my Frontier engine number Forums > > Decoding my Frontier engine number Decoding my Frontier engine number
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 12-07-2020, 02:59 PM
2015 Frontier
1992 Truck

Default Decoding my Frontier engine number

Long story short on 04/11/202 bought a new/used 2015 Frontier King 4x2 8th 30K plus miles. The off brand Dealer told me the vehical just traded was serviced but not washed. After purchase they washed it brought it out and I noticed two windshield chipped glass stars in the upper corners. Told me I must have chipped them during test drive, now sold your responsibility. Then they gave just the one new looking valet key used for test drive and 2 other hand cut or very ground down chip keys. So I drove to ACE to get emergency $3 door only keys cut from the new looking key, before going to the locksmith for the $200 chip duplicate made. The ACE guy followed me out to test the cheap key in the door worked to make sure it worked before charging me, then to prove a point asked me to try and start the truck. To our astonishment to truck started and drove fine. So now I'm worried and checked the VIN on the windshield and door panel against title and CARFAX all good. Then I go and check the engine ID QR25551948V but don't know how to confirm if this is the original 30,077 miles engine. It certainly runs great. The peddles aren't worn, gearshift looks like new, underneath truck looks clean no rust, radiator hardly a bug, tires look new tread depth. Only thing that looks suspicious is the driver side original floor mat was removed, battery acid corrosion in the metal battery bay compartment rusted with some metal eaten away, and battery looks old and beat up, maybe original, But connectors look nice. Also the two spare chip keys they handed me after the sale looked like someone used a shop file on them with deep rough cuts, hardly a lobe left, amazed they work, and ignition itself feels tight not loose. Not even my 25 year old accord keys look so hacked up. Can anyone decode that engine number QR25551948V so I know its not likely a replacment? Thank!
Old 12-08-2020, 12:12 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Gunner,

Look under the dash close to the ignition switch, to see if there is a Chip Key or maybe just the Chip Close enough to the ignition Switch to be able to start the truck with no problem's useing the non chipped key. The key or Chip may be wire tied, Taped, or Glued, to prevent the problem of trying to start the truck with a Non Chipped Key.

If you try to start the truck with a non chipped key without the Chip close enough, you may run into trouble and have to get Nissan to get thing's reset.

You can call Nissan Consumer Affair's to find out about your truck useing the VIN #.

Your Auto Insurance should help you out getting the Rock Chip's on the windshield Fixed. Some Wave the Deductible when doing a Repair. If you use SafeLite be sure they still use the Drill to open up the Rock Chip, so that the Glue will flow into the Chip so that it won't spread. If they don't use Drill's anymore, go to another Windshield Repair place that still use a Drill.

Clean the Battery oxidation off with Bakeing soda and Water Solution with a Toothbrush and/or Small Wire brush. Reconnect Cable's, make sure they are Tight, and coat cable's and terminal's with Multipurpose Grease. Use a Thick Coating of Grease on all the Bare Metal's and you won't have any more problem's with corrosion. Next Batry get an AGM which will also help with corrosion.

Good Luck,
Old 12-16-2020, 01:35 PM
2015 Frontier
1992 Truck

UPDATE! Since one of my collateral duties in the USCG was investigating officer, the old sills came in handy getting to the bottom of the crime. But a therough investigation doesn't always yeid a crime but stupidity that looks like a crime. It turns out that Nissan of North America was able to valide the engine number that matches what's on the block. The butchered keys given after the sale were filed old Nissan truck keys off Ebay to match the 1 good valet key. Why because the original owner lost both sets and refused to pay $500 to the dealer so instead had a radio shop install a bypass module perched on top the CPU allowing any key that is cut to fit work, chip or no chip. However if more than 1 chip key (two different hips) like on a hey ring will still confuse even the bypass module which I tested and sure enough holding 2 different chip keys near the ignition will not allow the truck to start, nevertheless a none chip key or a chip key that fits will start no problem. The previous owner instead of going to ACE hardware to get a clean non chip key cut tried to mask the module to sell the vehical. I also checked the CARFAX locations about 8 validating the low milage 30K miles in 5 years. Mother of owner confided to me her son hardly drove the truck working 2 miles away except to visit her once a month. Anyway this is what happened when uncovering a lie that looks like fraud. Been better if just up front. So I'm happy😊 with the truck as it is tight, clean like new. Too bad after finding out about the election which is a crime we have no legal recourse in the land, so 😥.

Last edited by CWO4GUNNER; 12-16-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Tags
decoding, engine, frontier, number