Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Airbag Light Forums > > Airbag Light Airbag Light
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 10-30-2020, 04:26 PM
2015 Frontier Crew Cab

Default Airbag Light

I took my 2015 Nissan Frontier in for a blinking airbag light to my local shop. This shop has a very good reputation, 40+ years in business, recommended by AAA, etc. They diagnosed a bad airbag and control module, $1500. After replacing those 2 items they were still unable to get a good indication from the module. They diagnosed that the gravity sensor was also bad, another $850. Installed that sensor and still inoperative. They are supposed to have their senior technician diagnose it next and try to figure it out. Any chance the original parts weren't bad and they are throwing parts at it trying to get it to work? Or are these things that difficult to diagnose and repair?
Old 10-30-2020, 06:56 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjumper View Post
I took my 2015 Nissan Frontier in for a blinking airbag light to my local shop. This shop has a very good reputation, 40+ years in business, recommended by AAA, etc. They diagnosed a bad airbag and control module, $1500. After replacing those 2 items they were still unable to get a good indication from the module. They diagnosed that the gravity sensor was also bad, another $850. Installed that sensor and still inoperative. They are supposed to have their senior technician diagnose it next and try to figure it out. Any chance the original parts weren't bad and they are throwing parts at it trying to get it to work? Or are these things that difficult to diagnose and repair?
Jim,

I try and do all service work on my '13 Frontier Myself. When it's something that I can't do or don't want to do, I take mine to Nissan. They have a Free Inspection and will give an estimate before the work is done. When it's something expensive,, I want the Master Tech to Weigh in and get his opinion as well as the Service Manager.

I would want the old part's back to have them tested out to see if a Refund in in order, unless they have allready thrown them away, which probly is the case if they weren't sure one way or the other.

You've allready thrown 2300 $'s @ this problem so it might be time to stop digging a Hole with them, especially when they don't seem to know what they are doing.

Regards,
Old 11-04-2020, 04:19 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

It's difficult to comment on another's diagnostics without being witness to it. Could they've been good? Sure, but impossible to say for sure. Most of the time when it comes to the air bag system in Nissan, they don't provide a whole lot of diagnostics because they don't want liability issues that can occur when testing and potentially repair circuits. Often, it's replace part "A" if you have such-and-such code and, if that doesn't fix it, replace part "B" and so on. That said, there is a company called SafetyRestore.com that repairs control units, so that may have been a less expensive option to replacing the controller with a new part.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:23 PM
2015 Frontier Crew Cab

After their expert couldn't repair it, they brought in the original shop owner (semi-retired) who went thru the schematics step by step with the first mechanic. They confirmed that the the original airbag and control module were bad and since they had already been replaced they checked the "coil spring" which they discovered was also bad. Since the new airbag didn't come with a coil spring they ordered one and it will be installed tomorrow. They do believe that, based on the coil spring being bad, that its likely that the original gravity sensor ($850!) is good so they will reinstall it, test, and return the new one. They have saved all the parts. As a way of making up for this being such a difficult repair, not to mention expensive, they are absorbing the cost of the latest diagnostic and they also paid for a rental on the day they did the last diagnostic.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:31 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjumper View Post
After their expert couldn't repair it, they brought in the original shop owner (semi-retired) who went thru the schematics step by step with the first mechanic. They confirmed that the the original airbag and control module were bad and since they had already been replaced they checked the "coil spring" which they discovered was also bad. Since the new airbag didn't come with a coil spring they ordered one and it will be installed tomorrow. They do believe that, based on the coil spring being bad, that its likely that the original gravity sensor ($850!) is good so they will reinstall it, test, and return the new one. They have saved all the parts. As a way of making up for this being such a difficult repair, not to mention expensive, they are absorbing the cost of the latest diagnostic and they also paid for a rental on the day they did the last diagnostic.
Hey Jim,

Sound's like they are trying to Help You and Saveing all the Replaced Part's show that they seem Honest to me. Especially when they are willing to Refund on a Replacement part. That's Pretty good IMO.

I tend toward Distrust and that's my Main Motivation on doing my Own Service as much as I can myself, as well as saveing money help's motivate me too. I've never forgotten from back in the early 80's, getting the valve's adjusted on my VW by a shop other than VW Dealer Service. The engine was makeing a loud ticking noise afterward's and I said it wasn't makeing that noise before the valve's were adjusted. Shortly afterward's I got a Hole blown through the Engine Case. From then on, I started reading and studying the Service Manual's,Gathering my own tool's and trying to do everything as much as I can myself. The VW's are long gone, but I do my own valve adjusting now, on the Diesel Tractor, and small engine overhead Valve Train's. If the 4 Liter V6 ever need's Valve Adjusting, that would be over my head from what I've read.

Harbor Freight is a good place for Cheap Tool's, but I have to use common sense to figure out if the quality is good enough. Not all my Tool's are Harbor Freight,, but at least 50% are and they have a lifetime warranty on Wrench's.

Hope You get Your Truck back in Good Shape and Running Good.

Let us know how it is going.

Regards,

Last edited by JRJoe; 11-05-2020 at 09:44 AM.

Tags
airbag, light