Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
engine vibration Forums > > engine vibration engine vibration
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 09-04-2020, 12:46 PM
2005 Frontier

Default engine vibration

I have a 2006 Frontier (70,000 original miles) that just started having some intermittent, light engine vibration when in the 1250-1500 RPM range. Anything outside of that and no vibration. When it occurs, it is accompanied with a very slight RPM bump/increase that returns to normal when the vibration subsides. Additionally, I can make it go away by selecting O/D OFF. I'm currently draining the transmission fluid, which doesn't really appear too bad, but then again I'm not real sure just what it should look like. Anyhow, if any of you have any ideas, I'd be open to hear what you have to say.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:52 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallynotamechanic View Post
I have a 2006 Frontier (70,000 original miles) that just started having some intermittent, light engine vibration when in the 1250-1500 RPM range. Anything outside of that and no vibration. When it occurs, it is accompanied with a very slight RPM bump/increase that returns to normal when the vibration subsides. Additionally, I can make it go away by selecting O/D OFF. I'm currently draining the transmission fluid, which doesn't really appear too bad, but then again I'm not real sure just what it should look like. Anyhow, if any of you have any ideas, I'd be open to hear what you have to say.
Be sure to check ATF Level Correctly when you Refill, by following the Checking Procedure in the Nissan Service Manual, Otherwise You'll be guessing about the correct ATF Fluid Level.

Check the Air Filter and Replace if Dirty and check for Vacuum Leak. Was the ATF Dirty looking or Clean with a Slight Pink Color? Check the Coolant in the Radiator for unusual appearance, '06-'10 V6 with AT, many had ATF Mixing with Coolant and Coolant Mixing with ATF.

If you don't find an obvious problem, I would take it to Nissan or a Trusted Mechanic that has experience with Nissan Truck's, rather than throwing part's at it hopeing for a fix which might cost more in the long run.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:10 PM
2005 Frontier

JRJoe,
Thanks a ton for the advice and the heads up on refilling the ATF to the appropriate level. The fluid I drained out was a light brown color. The air filter is clean and the coolant seemed the appropriate light green color but there was an oil-like film on the radiator cap. Do you recommend draining the coolant? I'll google how to check for a vacuum leak, so thanks for the heads-up.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:44 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
JRJoe,
Thanks a ton for the advice and the heads up on refilling the ATF to the appropriate level. The fluid I drained out was a light brown color. The air filter is clean and the coolant seemed the appropriate light green color but there was an oil-like film on the radiator cap. Do you recommend draining the coolant? I'll google how to check for a vacuum leak, so thanks for the heads-up.
To me it sounds like the ATF was just overdue for drain and fill. I think proble the Lite Pink orignal color was mixed with Clutch material that turned it a lite Brown Tint.

My '13 call's for NissanMatic S ATF and I use Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic ATF for multivihecle's in the Red Gallon Jug's @ WalMart to save money. Just make sure that you read the back to make sure that it say's the NissanMatic letter that Your Truck's Owner's Manual Say's to use for Your Truck. In the Service Manual it say's to measure the ATF Fluid that come's out and replace with the same amount to begin with and then check the level per the procedure.

To me the coolant sounds ok, but it's best to do a drain and fill according to the Owner's Manual. I don't recommend doing a Flush, just Drain and Fill like the Owner's Manual say's. Same with the ATF,, just do a Drain and Fill not a Flush and Never a Power Flush unless The Nissan Master Tech or Service Manager say's to do it in order to get rid of contamination.

Be sure to make sure the Air Intake from the Air Filter Houseing to the Intake Manifold are Tight. Loosen 1st then tighten to help prevent stripping thread's. If a fastener is allready tight and we try to tighten it more at 1st then it's easy for the Thread's to let go.

IMO You really need to take it to Nissan or a Very Trusted Experienced Mechanic with the proper Diagnistic Tool's to help Him/Her try to figure out what is causeing the Vibration. It could be several thing's and in the long run it may be cheaper to take it to Nissan or the Mechanic because they have the diagnostic equipment to help them pin point the problem ie Leak, Sensor, etc.

When there is a problem with how the engine is running it is best to figure out what the problem is and fix it sooner rather than later because later can cause other problem's which is more expensive and take's longer to figure out.

If you take it Nissan , I would try to make an appointment with the Master Tech to get his advice from the getgo. Nissan also has the obdII Consult that will show the ATF temperature to get the ATF to the Proper Level. You'll probly have to ask them to check the ATF Level useing the Temperature Display though. It take's more time to do it the proper way and I don't know if they take the time to do it properly unless they are asked and shown the method in the Service Manual.

Most time's they assume that the Average Owner bringing in their Nissan hasn't read the Owner's Manual and Very Very Very Rare to have an Owner come in that's Read the Service Manual. I've been doing my own preventative maintenance as much as I can, for many year's, but when it's something I'm not comfortable with, I take mine to Nissan. A person need's to know their limitation's and when to say when. Another pitfall of doing Your Own Maintenance is "Makeing A Mistake". I am alway's Scared that I will make a mistake. That's why I read the Owner's Manual as well as the Service Manual until I understand what they are trying to explain. I other word's IMO it's best not to do anything unless you understand the procedure, rather than going head long not fully understanding and risking a mistake that will also need another repair.

HF is the best source that I know of for inexpensive tool's ~ Not the Best by any Stretch, but most of my tool's are and they usually alway's get the job's done. You can go better tool's when the House is Paid Off, The Wife has The Car of Her Choice, You have the Truck of Your Choice, A Garage/Workshop that will Hold Everything, An AirPlane and Air Strip on Your Land and Everything is Paid Off.

You can google 2006 Nissan Frontier Service Manual to get free access and you can find them on EBay, or other WebSite's for your Own Hard disc or in PDF Downloaded File's. I got mine from ReliableStore in PDF File's for 9 $'s back in '13. Downloaded them to a New Folder on my Desktop and then burned that Folder to a CD which is my own Nissan Service Manaul Hard Disc. You can also Google in the same way for the '06 Owner's Manual as well.

I purchased a Linear Logic ScangaugeII that plug's into the obdII port and show's the ATF Temp 1 and Temp 2, but I don't know if the scangauge will work on a Nissan Frontier GenII back to '06. Seem's like '08 might have been the cuttoff year, but a quick call to Linear Logic can confirm if the Scangauge II will display ATF Temp for your truck.

PS ~ If Your's is an '06 V6 with AT, then I would do the BYPASS of the ATF going through the Lower Part of the Radiator ASAP or Replace the Radiator with a New Nissan Radiator or After Market. It may have allready been bypassed or a New Radiator may have allready been installed. This is to prevent the Mixing of the Coolant with the ATF which was caused by early defective Nissan Radiator's. The ByPass is Real Easy to do, which is a Preventative Patch, but the Real Fix is to replace the OE Radiator with a New Radiator. You can Google Nissan Frontier Defective Radiator's for year's '05-'10/'11. It's an Expensive Repair if the AT need's a repair due to Coolant Mixing.

Last edited by JRJoe; 09-07-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:19 AM
2005 Frontier

JRJoe,
Thanks for the steer on the transmission fluid. I’ll check it out. I think I’ll heed your advice and take it into my local mechanic if the vibration continues. My “mechanic” attempts tend to cost more in the long run than if I just took it in to begin with, but I tend to enjoy figuring things out on my own and fixing them. Appreciate you taking the time to speak to this problem. The information was helpful and your willingness to help was humbling. Keep up the great work!
Old 09-07-2020, 07:16 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
JRJoe,
Thanks for the steer on the transmission fluid. I’ll check it out. I think I’ll heed your advice and take it into my local mechanic if the vibration continues. My “mechanic” attempts tend to cost more in the long run than if I just took it in to begin with, but I tend to enjoy figuring things out on my own and fixing them. Appreciate you taking the time to speak to this problem. The information was helpful and your willingness to help was humbling. Keep up the great work!
Thank You,

Another thing that is very important to the Computer Module's that control the Engine Function's is the Battery and Specifically the Battery Terminal's.

It is very important to keep the Battery Terminal's Corrosion Free and the Terminal Clamp's Tight. If the Terminal's are corroded, use a solution of Bakeing Soda and Water to dissolve the corrosion along with something like an old toothbrush and then rinse the residue away with the Water hose, and make sure to rinse below the battery so that any corrosion that get's on the paint and other part's won't corrode. Do this on a Cold Engine.

Make sure that the Battery Clamp's are tight. If the clamp's won't tighten up,, they have spacer's at the Auto Part's Store that go over the Terminal's to take up the slack. After everything is clean, and the Clamp's are tight, put a Thick coating of Regular Multipurpose Grease on the Terminal's and Clamp's makeing sure that all the Bare Metal has a Thick Coating of Grease. That will prevent future corrosion and there is no need to purchase those Battery Terminal Felt Washer's as they are Junk anyway. When you need to disconnect the battery for service, etc, just use a couple of paper towel's to wipe the grease off before hand.

Good Luck with finding the cause of the Engine Vibration and let us know what the Fix was.
Regards,

Tags
engine, vibration