Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
transmission fluid color Forums > > transmission fluid color transmission fluid color
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 05-11-2020, 10:53 AM
2011 Frontier
2015 Sentra

Default transmission fluid color

The transmission fluid in my Frontier is clear in color. Where can I find replacement fluid?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2020, 12:42 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vica View Post
The transmission fluid in my Frontier is clear in color. Where can I find replacement fluid?

Thanks
Nissan Parts Dept.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:32 PM
2015 Rogue

The fluid should be red. You need matic j or matic s fluid.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:54 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

There are other sources than the dealer; Nissan does not have refineries, etc., they contract out for stuff like this.

Coming from the consumer products industry (40.5 years), I'll tell you that color of transmission fluid, coolant, oil, etc. is just a marketing ploy. Nissan would LOVE if folks went to the dealers for stuff with Nissan's name on it. 1/10 cent of dye makes folks think a certain type is "special".
Old 05-18-2020, 10:25 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusser View Post
There are other sources than the dealer; Nissan does not have refineries, etc., they contract out for stuff like this.

Coming from the consumer products industry (40.5 years), I'll tell you that color of transmission fluid, coolant, oil, etc. is just a marketing ploy. Nissan would LOVE if folks went to the dealers for stuff with Nissan's name on it. 1/10 cent of dye makes folks think a certain type is "special".
Hey Cusser,

The OP didn't say whether MT or AT, so I differed to Nissan Parts Dept. so they could figure it out.

I agree and I've Switched to Valvoline MaxLife ATF for NissanMatic S in my '13 AT.

Like you Said, Lot's of Game's and Gimmick's to Get us to spend more for the Same thing.

I wish that we all followed the 10 Commandment's, ie, Do Not Lie, Cheat, or Steal.

We are in a time now that some don't know what the 10 Commandment's are.

You've alway's try'd to help us Cusser and I really appreciate it. I've found that most onliner's just Want and Don't have time to Help.

Regards,
Old 05-19-2020, 07:38 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJoe View Post
Hey Cusser,

The OP didn't say whether MT or AT, so I differed to Nissan Parts Dept. so they could figure it out.
He has 2011 Frontier and wrote transmission fluid, so I was guessing automatic with ATF.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:58 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusser View Post
He has 2011 Frontier and wrote transmission fluid, so I was guessing automatic with ATF.
Hey Cusser,

All True, and in the past transmission Fluid usually meant ATF, as far back as I can remember, however Nissan in the Service Manual now referr's to Manual Transmission Gear Oil as MTF Manual Transmission Fluid and in the Owner's Manual as Gear Oil and MTF ~ Manual Transmission Fluid.

I'm sure that you Guessed Right, but I wanted to let you know how Nissan seem's to be changeing the Oil and Fluid Terminalogy. It may not even be an intentional Change but somehow a Translation issue between the actual Lubricant's and intended use literature writer's. Nissan also referr's to the Manual Transmission Oil as MTF on the Container.

I don't know why the Change in Reference Terminology is changeing. I read the Service Manual quiet a bit now on different matter's and navigateing the communication's between Old and New needs clarification as change's are takeing place for whatever reasoning.

Just Guessing but it may have something to do with how other Countrie's refer to Gear Oil, MTF, & ATF, as our Globe is Shrinking in Size communication wise. It may also have something to do with the Phaseing Out of Manual Transmission's in Vehicle's that has been takeing place over time. Even Tractor's are switching over. 100 year's from now Many may not know what a Manual Transmission is or Was.

Regards,

Last edited by JRJoe; 05-20-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:26 AM
Enthusiast
2001 Pathfinder
2012 Titan Crew Cab

You can get a copy of the owner's manual here-- https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/50/

Tags
color, fluid, transmission