Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Diagnostic scanning without scan tool Forums > > Diagnostic scanning without scan tool Diagnostic scanning without scan tool
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 02-16-2020, 05:16 AM
2016 Frontier King Cab
2016 Frontier

Question Diagnostic scanning without scan tool

How can I run a diagnostics scan from my OBDII port on my 2016 Nissan Frontier without using a scan tool? What ports should I jump? Thanks
Old 02-16-2020, 07:22 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbps1978 View Post
How can I run a diagnostics scan from my OBDII port on my 2016 Nissan Frontier without using a scan tool? What ports should I jump? Thanks
HBPS,

I think that there is a way to do a Diagnostic's Scan on your Frontier without a Scan Tool. You'll need to google that and you should get some result's. Be EXTREMELY CAREFUL when working with the Electric's as introducing a Short can cause expensive damage.

Some Nissan Service Depts. will do a Diagnostic Scan Free and let you know what DTC's they find and how much they will charge to fix the problem at no charge until they actually start the Repair Process.

Many Auto Part's may also do a Free Diagnostic Scan, such as Advance, Carquest, Orielly's, etc.

I broke down and got a Scangauge II for my '13 Frontier, primarily to display the ATF Temp., but it will also display DTC's and Clear the Check Engine Light. Amazon had the best price at the time,, but EBay or another retailer may have an even lower price:

Scangauge II

If you don't have an Automatic Transmission or don't need other Gauge Display's or the other information that the ScanGauge Give's, then there are many other brand's that are cheaper to do a diagnostic scan.

Regards,

Last edited by JRJoe; 02-16-2020 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:35 AM
2016 Frontier King Cab
2016 Frontier

Thank you. For many years I've worked on domestic automobiles and used a jumper wire in the OBDI or OBDII port to scan the computers. That's mostly all scan tools are doing is making a closed loop to trigger the computer to flash the diagnostic codes. This is why I'm asking.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:26 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

If you are just lookingto check Powertrain codes, try this link:

Nissan Vehicles Engine OBDII Codes Read Without Nissan CONSULT or Scan Tool | Nissanhelp.com

Personally, I keep a cheap OBD II code reader in my glove box; you can get them for $25 or less. It comes in handy when co-workers or friends ask me about their CEL. I also have an Autel MX808 for when I need to get more involved, like accessing C-codes and B-codes.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:32 AM
2000 Frontier King Cab
2000 Frontier

First post!

So glad I found the forum... former (2007) diagnostic tech.

I am looking at one of the USB/OBD2 adapters for a tablet or laptop -

https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBDL.../dp/B005ZWM0R4

Not only can it display codes, it can also display many different parameters (oil pressure, TPS, etc) in realtime.

$40, and I already have a lappy to use with it. Seems like a helluva deal. Anyone have experience with this or similar?

I have tried the 'accelerator pedal' method to enter diagnostic mode DOZENS of times, with and without stopwatch. I cannot get the light to blink.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:03 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

I use a $45 scan tool for OB2 from Harbor Freight. O'Reilly, Autozone, others will read codes for no charge.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:49 AM
2000 Frontier King Cab
2000 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusser View Post
I use a $45 scan tool for OB2 from Harbor Freight. O'Reilly, Autozone, others will read codes for no charge.
In the East Central Florida area they dont. Stopped maybe a year ago, pre-covid. I used to send coworkers there when I was too lazy to break out the scan tool at work. We have a similar code reader there to what you describe. When I go in Tuesday I am gonna grab it for my truck and see what code set. I am guessing 'random misfire' as it was chuddering at the time it came on. Hopefully something else useful in history.

I thought the additional data displayed by the USB tool was intriguing. Especially for the $$. Back in '07 I had a SnapOn Solus, and the real time data graphing and display was a goldmine many times. My 2000 Frontier needs a bit more than a multimeter. Getting 'Solus like' abilities with a $40 connector and an 'old' lappy... My Solus was $10K new back in the day. and i sold it to my boss in '09 for $5K when I moved to my current field.

Tags
diagnostic, scan, scanning, tool