Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Time For A New Battery & Charger Forums > > Time For A New Battery & Charger Time For A New Battery & Charger
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 01-10-2020, 07:49 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Default Time For A New Battery & Charger

My OE Nissan Battery was about 6 1/2 year's old, and starting to get a bit Sluggish, so about 2 week's ago I started looking for a New Battery for my 2013 V6 Frontier. I've had an AGM Battery in the Lawn Mower for about 5 year's now, and that is over twice as long as any battery has ever lasted in the LawnMower. So I wanted an AGM.

Looked on Amazon, EBay, Advance, Orielly's, AutoZone, Batteries Plus, & PepBoy's. Pepboy's seemed to have the Best Price on a Direct Fit AGM with a 650CCA, 25% Discount, and Free Delivery.

Champion AGM Battery, Group Size 35 | 2071581 | Pep Boys

I just checked and they still have the 25% Discount. The Install was a Perfect Fit. I connected my EZRed Memory Saver before I disconnected the Old Battery and didn't have any problem's with the Truck after the Install.

Robot Check

I got a very good deal on the EZ Red, but if I hadn't I might have purchased this memory saver on EBay:

OBD Style Memory Saver AC/9v for Vehicle Battery Replacement/Disconnect | eBay

I may have jumped the gun on the Old Battery, cause I used my Schumacher 1.5A Charger Maintainer to charge the old battery back up and amazingly it was keeping a Full charge, but it was getting old and I didn't want to have it fail suddenly which sometime's they will.

Since this is a New AGM I also opted to change out my 1.5A Charger Maintainer with a 2A Schumacher charger Maintainer that is compatible with , AGM, Gel Cell, Deep Cycle type Battery, & Standard Lead Acid---which I hope I won't have to purchase anymore, cause I don't much like fooling around with Battery Acid. I found the best price of the New Schumacher SP1296 @ AdvanceAutoParts.com Online with another 25% discount and Free Delivery!

Schumacher 2A 6V/12V Fully Automatic Battery Charger/Maintainer (SP1 Replacement) SP1296: Advance Auto Parts

Here is the 25% code for the charger: G567BX

I have used the Schumacher 1.5A charger Maintainer's on the LawnMower, Tractor, and Pickup for year's and Year's, so I expect the 2A Fully Automatic Charger maintainer to be as good or better than the 1.5A. They charge Slowly and they say a slow charge helps the battery last longer. Since I use this charger on a Small 12v Lawnmower Battery I wanted to keep the Max Charge Amperage to 2 Amps.

1st thing I did after getting the New Battery Installed with Cable's Connected, Put a Thick Coating of Grease over the Terminal's and Cable End's To cover any exposed Metal to Prevent Battery Corrosion. I've seen so many Corroded Battery Terminal's and if gone untended is a Repair Waiting to Happen. You don't need those Felt Washer's Battery Spray Paint, etc; It's so easy just cover all the bear Metal surface's includeing the Bear Metal Cable End's with any multipurpose Grease. I started doing this a long time ago, sometime before 1988 and since, have Never Ever had Battery Terminal Corrosion Since. The Trick is a Thick Coating of Grease on all the Bear Metal Surface's.

We are in the Middle of Winter here in the USA, so maybe this little posting will help you and help save you some money as well.

Regards,

Last edited by JRJoe; 01-10-2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:19 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJoe View Post
1st thing I did after getting the New Battery Installed with Cable's Connected, Put a Thick Coating of Grease over the Terminal's and Cable End's To cover any exposed Metal to Prevent Battery Corrosion. I've seen so many Corroded Battery Terminal's and if gone untended is a Repair Waiting to Happen. You don't need those Felt Washer's Battery Spray Paint, etc; It's so easy just cover all the bear Metal surface's includeing the Bear Metal Cable End's with any multipurpose Grease.
I also coat the bare positive terminal and positive cable clamp with wheel bearing grease after installing a battery. This keeps oxygen from the air away, and prevents corrosion there.

Tags
battery, time