Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2002 Frontier charging problem Forums > > 2002 Frontier charging problem 2002 Frontier charging problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 11-23-2019, 09:55 AM
2002 Frontier Crew Cab

Default 2002 Frontier charging problem

My dash battery light came on and it would die when I took the battery cable off. Went to the local used part yard and got another alternator changed it same thing light stayed on. Took that one back and this one the light went out for a few seconds and same thing light on and no charge. Ive used junk yard parts before and had no problems so before I call it a bad alternator again what can I check. Is there a way to test the alt with a meter before hand.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:58 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by old06 View Post
My dash battery light came on and it would die when I took the battery cable off.
Sorry, but taking a battery cable off while the engine is running is a TERRIBLE idea on a vehicle with an alternator, usually causes damage.

Yes, I understand Gomer and Goober did such "test" but that was with old cars that had GENERATORS. And that Gomer and Goober didn't have or know how to use a voltmeter.

The correct way to test for a working alternator is with meter cables attached to the battery terminals (everything connected), and start the vehicle. Voltage should be about 13.5 to 14.5 VDC with a good charging system at about 2000 rpm.

That's all I can help with, think you did damage with your actions, sorry. When the alternator failed on my 1998 Frontier (confirmed with digital voltmeter), I just bought a remanufactured unit from O'Reilly, and it's been fine.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:25 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Yes, disconnecting the battery cable while the vehicle is running can sometimes damage electronic control units, such as the ECM, something cars didn't have back in the good ol' days. The factory service manual has steps on to how to properly test the charging system; you can access one for free at NICO Club's website. There is a white, 10-gauge wire that attaches to the "BAT" connection on the back of the alternator, which gets power from a high-amp fusible link (they are usually around 75-120 amps). Make sure the fusible link is not blown and power is getting to the back of the alternator. Also, the same wire can sometimes build up resistance inside and burn-up. If the wire is abnormally stiff or has excessive resistance in it when measure with an ohm meter from the eyelet to the terminal in the fusible link (make sure you disconnect a battery cable, disconnect the wire from the alternator and remove the fusible link when you do this test), you'll need to repair or replace the wire, as necessary.

Tags
charging, frontier, problem