Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Brake lights stay on (NOT switch stop button problem)... Forums > > Brake lights stay on (NOT switch stop button problem)... Brake lights stay on (NOT switch stop button problem)...
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 08-12-2019, 02:23 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Frontier

Default Brake lights stay on (NOT switch stop button problem)...

Brake lights are stuck on.

Replaced both buttons (Brake Sw. button, and Cruise Sw. button, AND both switches).

New switches adjustment isn't the issue - brake arm still disconnected from booster arm, so I can reach up and press both buttons to test brake light kill.

'02 Frontier, Base model, Automatic.

Any ideas here?
Old 08-12-2019, 11:04 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Unplug the brake light switch at the pedal and see if the brake lights go out. If they don't, you have a short to power somewhere in the circuit between the switch and the lamps. If you don't have brake lights, you need to take a better look at the brake switch and its adjustment. It's a straight path of power from the brake switch to the lamps.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:46 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Frontier

I unplugged the brake light switch, lights stayed on.

I unplugged brake light switch AND Cruise kill switch (Base model, doesn't have cruise), lights stayed on.

Left cruise switch out, re-connected brake switch, lights went out. Lights did NOT come on when then pressing pedal.

Power apparently does NOT go directly to brake lights. ???
------------------

Cruise kill switch wiring, and brake light switch wiring are SOMEwhere either integrated or shorted to power.

Both switches feed from Stop Lamp fuse (which when pulled, does kill lights).

Cannot find where they're integrated in el.pdf p. 49 (brake wiring) and el.pdf p. 160 (cruise kill switch wiring).
Old 08-13-2019, 10:19 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Frontier

This one is solved.

My new Brake switch was defective. I pulled it, and it had continuity with button / plunger released (released CLOSES the circuit).

I haven't looked to see if the bad switch explains every symptom, and I probably will not.
----------------------------

Nissan Service Manager said wiring for Brake switch, and wiring for Cruise kill switch ARE integrated, even for Base Model withOUT cruise (that is still equipped with Cr. kill switch).

On Base model w/o Cruise, both switches share Stop Lamp fuse. It is not shown this way in EL.pdf .

For what it's worth, my original switches were probably good. I think only the plunger stop / plastic tab[s] were broken...

Last edited by Schrade; 08-14-2019 at 05:51 AM.

Tags
brake, lights, stay, stop, switch